carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #711
JST

There's been some sort of paperwork snafu that was caused in part by carelessness on my end, but which now likely won't be corrected by Tesla in time to do delivery by Saturday.

Communication has not been particularly speedy.

Meanwhile, I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about the whole thing and am contemplating just keeping the Model S. I'd end up out my deposit, which is non-refundable at this point, but also I'm just not that excited about it and am wondering if I'm making a mistake.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #712
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Hmmmm what changed?

Besides this?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1M72OI
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #713
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
No, that really doesn't have anything to do with it. The Model 3 is going to be a better car than the S in a whole lot of ways, but is it going to be better enough to spend all this extra money on? Maybe. But maybe not.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #714
rumatt
Mugwump

Do you actually like driving the S? I doubt I would jump in on a first gen, mass produced, rushed to production vehicle if I already had an EV that I liked.

But two questions:

1. Which car would you rather drive to work every day.

2. Will the lost money actually impact your life in any way.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #715
rumatt
Mugwump

You're not the only one having second thoughts.

NY state clarified their position in the tax rebate and it went from $2000 to $500 for the performance model now.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...rmance.129392/

I could save $16,500 if switched to a non-performance, and it'll be just as fast above 60 mph. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #716
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So… I picked the 3 up yesterday after work from the warranty repairs. Looked great.

Then on the way to work this morning, I was in an accident. The car is pretty badly damaged -- possibly totaled (frame is clearly damaged). I'm OK, so are the other drivers (3 car accident), but am a bit shaken up.

The car that hit me is at fault (police stated multiple times). I was on my way to work going down a 2 lane road that I take to get to work. It was really foggy this morning. Teenager was behind a Yukon pulling a (fortunately empty) horse trailer -- both were going the other direction. I was behind at least 2 and possibly 4 other cars (I think it was 3, but the Yukon driver thought it was 3 or 4). Then I saw something out of a movie -- followed quickly by tires squealing. Headlights were suddenly coming at me, swerving to avoid the cars ahead of me (this turned out to be a Honda Civic driven by a 17 year old girl). I hit the breaks thinking the car was going to hit one of them, and I'd have to avoid running into a car ahead. Nope -- the Civic somehow avoided all the cars ahead of me and got ahead of the Yukon. But it looks like she clipped the Yukon, and she over-reacted by coming into my lane, hitting the 3 in the driver's side rear door, rear wheel, and quarter panel. The Civic then hit a power pole and bounced to the other side of the road -- it is definitely totaled. Speaking with the Yukon driver, she said that the Civic was tailgating her and she hit her breaks hard when the Civic pulled out -- she could see the oncoming traffic.

The 3 has a damaged rear door (that won't open), bent frame, bent rear axel, and damage to the rear bumper panel. Its not drivable. I've already filed my insurance claim and should talk to an adjuster later today. I'm going to push for a replacement -- our insurance has that feature on cars <1 year old (I'll have to push that they cover the price increases also). Based on other Tesla accidents, I believe it will be totaled. With the lead time to order a Tesla, I'd like to know quickly so I can get an order in soon -- and minimize the amount of time I'm in a rental (and I'm traveling next week, so don't need to get a rental for about 10 days…)

Here's a pic of the damage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	12004  
Old 09-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #717
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
So… I picked the 3 up yesterday after work from the warranty repairs. Looked great.

Then on the way to work this morning, I was in an accident. The car is pretty badly damaged -- possibly totaled (frame is clearly damaged). I'm OK, so are the other drivers (3 car accident), but am a bit shaken up.
Ugh. Glad to hear you and everyone are okay, but ugh.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #718
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Ugh. So sorry! I hope there are no lasting physical effects.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #719
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Ugh. So sorry! I hope there are no lasting physical effects.
Thanks. I actually changed my police report before submitting it to change the injuries box from no to yes -- I am feeling a little bit of lower back pain. I figured I'd better note that just in case I need treatment.

Its not bad now, and may be fine. But just in case it gets worse.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #720
rumatt
Mugwump

Holy shit that is terrible. I'm sorry, man.