carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Boo... that's too boring. This car will probably get a good amount of use, why have to deal with a boring car just because the other car is fun?

Back on topic:

Congrats!

I've read good things about the Countryman and I'm very impressed by the pricing. You could probably go with the FWD version which the recent Motoringfile review claims to be the "best buy" for a current MINI owner looking to switch over. At $32k MSRP I think you'll have a hard time beating it when you factor in warranty, maintenance, and resale.
What are you, a Mini salesman?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #22
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
A double stroller would be (literally) the big thing, but ours are going to be far enough apart in age that I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

We've gotten by very well with the Mini + one kid. I cannot remember a time thinking "oh, man, I can't bring X with me because our car is too small." Sure, you sometimes have to jam grocery bags around the stroller in the way-too-tiny trunk, but that's no big deal.

I'm talking myself into the Countryman, plus maybe a roof carrier for the BMW and/or the Mini (for trips).
First of all, congrats!

Double stroller is the killer. Beyond that, long family trips (especially in winter given the voluminous jackets, boots, etc) are the other killer. But neither seems like an issue.

I think the first question to ask is what is happening with the M3? If it will be gone next year, just be done with it and get the S4.

If you are keeping it, I would argue you should try to get something that can allow more room, just in case. Anyway, not knowing exacty who drives what and how often makes it tough.

I would narrow it down to 328iT/A4 avant/S4.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Congrats! I have nothing to add on the car discussion other than to say that we will have either a clubman or countryman soon. Probably the countryman b/c we will probably not find an acceptable used version of the Clubman and the countryman will probably have a better resale.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Judging by all the stuff my wife says we "need" to have, and what all she already brings for just us on trips, it doesn't seem like anything short of a Suburban will do.
And you're such a light traveller yourself, too.

But back on topic...with two kids...

One of the reasons for the switch to a minivan for us was to create the option for us to take both of our kids and someone else's somewhere. Whether it's actually going somewhere, picking up/dropping off kids from school/activity, it dramatically increases flexibility and options compared to doing it all ourselves or being at the mercy of others. Similarly, as we often have an out of town guest or two visiting (my wife's mother, my parents, or some combination), it means we don't have to take two cars everytime we go out somewhere.

All of that can also be accomplished with a Suburban (and we used the Armada this way a lot, too), but it is tons easier in a minivan than an SUV.

OTOH, we got along just fine with the 325xiT and a Miata for over a year, and we probably still would be for the foreseeable future.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
OTOH, we got along just fine with the 325xiT and a Miata for over a year, and we probably still would be for the foreseeable future.
Camaro a no-go, then? At least for now?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #26
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
When my wife replaced her X3, we went through a long perserveration phase, and it essentially came down to either a Clubman, 328iT or Jetta (TDI wagon). We ended up with the 328iT.

We only have one kid, and when shopping for that car it was becoming clearer that we would not have another (long story -- we wanted another...), but space was still a bit of a concern.

My wife loved the Clubman S. She had an '02 Cooper S, and the Clubman solved most of the little nagging issues we had with that car -- less road noise, the engine switch solved the low RPM sluggishness (mostly), and the extra length made the back seat more useable... But she ultimately decided it was probably too small and decided not to put an order in.

The Jetta was next on the list -- and she liked it. But she was a little worried about it missing some features that she was used to (the first year TDIs had an odd option list where a lot of things on the top-line gas engine weren't avail -- like pleather only, no leather)... She also didn't like the shield grill -- enough to take the car off her list.

We ended up in the 328iT because BMWNA made a nice offer on the lease swap (waived everything -- so no nagging fees at end, took the X3 in 3 months early, etc), and we got a good deal on a car that had been sitting at the dealer for 6 months.

She loves the 328iT -- and even though there is still another 1.6 years on the lease, she's already worrying about what to replace it with, especially since no Tourings will be brought to the US when the next 3er arrives...

From a size perspective, its a nice fit. The Tourings have a bit more rear leg room than the 3er sedans (the rear seat is further back, and the rear doors are a bit longer than a sedan). The back is nice and deep -- although it a bit short in height.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Camaro a no-go, then? At least for now?
Mustang over Camaro. It will happen...just haven't gotten around to it. This isn't the thread for detailing it, but the short version is I'm happy enough with the Miata for the driving I'm doing that spending a wad of cash on a Mustang does feeling an immediate compelling need.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
JST

So, here's an off-the-wall idea. What about a Chevy Volt? Probably not to replace the Mini--I suspect that they will be going for X0,000 over MSRP for the first couple of months. But maybe get an S4 now and a Volt to replace the M3?

FWIW, my daily commute is about 12 miles, so I'd never have to actually burn any gasoline.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #29
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I've whimsically considered a Volt myself. My commute is 7 miles round trip, and my wife's is maybe 12. I just can't see paying that kind of money for a car you need to plug in to recharge and can't take on a long trip.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #30
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I've whimsically considered a Volt myself. My commute is 7 miles round trip, and my wife's is maybe 12. I just can't see paying that kind of money for a car you need to plug in to recharge and can't take on a long trip.
But you could take it on a long trip--it might not make much sense to do so, but it's range is something like 300 miles using gas, which is a lot farther than my BMW can go.

My big problem is that I have no garage, and I'm not sure an all-weather charger option exists.