carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
TD
Founder emeritus

We actually found that two kids did not require that much more space than one. For a while, for a number of months after we had our second, our largest vehicle was my then E36 M3/4 (the other being my wife's E36 convertible). No problems at all. It fit a stroller and whatever else we'd need for an outing and fit two child seats in the back seat. The only challenge was sitting in front of the rear facing seat that our youngest had to be in - which meant I could never be a front seat passenger.

Unless someone has two infants at the same time (and I know JST is not in this category), any vehicle that can accommodate having one kid can work with two.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I've never really understood this. Beyond a stroller and maybe a diaper bag, what all does one need to bring along when one is going about regular activities with their kids (as opposed to a road-trip out of town)?
A double stroller would be (literally) the big thing, but ours are going to be far enough apart in age that I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

We've gotten by very well with the Mini + one kid. I cannot remember a time thinking "oh, man, I can't bring X with me because our car is too small." Sure, you sometimes have to jam grocery bags around the stroller in the way-too-tiny trunk, but that's no big deal.

I'm talking myself into the Countryman, plus maybe a roof carrier for the BMW and/or the Mini (for trips).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
A double stroller would be (literally) the big thing, but ours are going to be far enough apart in age that I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

We've gotten by very well with the Mini + one kid. I cannot remember a time thinking "oh, man, I can't bring X with me because our car is too small." Sure, you sometimes have to jam grocery bags around the stroller in the way-too-tiny trunk, but that's no big deal.

I'm talking myself into the Countryman, plus maybe a roof carrier for the BMW and/or the Mini (for trips).
For how infrequently anyone needs a roof box, feel free to borrow ours whenever you need one. Mine has been used once so far. And it takes up a lot of space just hanging out.

Pic- http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attach...6&d=1249217991
Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
JST

Quote:
We actually found that two kids did not require that much more space than one. For a while, for a number of months after we had our second, our largest vehicle was my then E36 M3/4 (the other being my wife's E36 convertible). No problems at all. It fit a stroller and whatever else we'd need for an outing and fit two child seats in the back seat. The only challenge was sitting in front of the rear facing seat that our youngest had to be in - which meant I could never be a front seat passenger.

Unless someone has two infants at the same time (and I know JST is not in this category), any vehicle that can accommodate having one kid can work with two.

The Mini is the exception--our daughter in the booster behind the passenger seat already forces the passenger seat up far enough that it's not comfortable. A rear-facing seat would make it worse, and in any event putting even the booster behind me when driving wouldn't work--not enough leg room.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
I've never really understood this. Beyond a stroller and maybe a diaper bag, what all does one need to bring along when one is going about regular activities with their kids (as opposed to a road-trip out of town)?
If I had kids I'd probably know the answer and wouldn't have had to ask the question......
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Mini is the exception--our daughter in the booster behind the passenger seat already forces the passenger seat up far enough that it's not comfortable. A rear-facing seat would make it worse, and in any event putting even the booster behind me when driving wouldn't work--not enough leg room.
Noted. The Mini is even tighter in back than the E36 was.

But pretty much anything E36/E46 sized and up should still work fine with two kids.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
If I had kids I'd probably know the answer and wouldn't have had to ask the question......
It's a common misconception - even among people who actually have children.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
ff

I know this isn't in your list, but if I was looking for a family car, and already had a fun one like the Boxster, I'd just buy a 4Cyl manual tranny'ed Accord and be done with it. It's not special to look at, but it's as rock-solid of an automobile "investment" as you're going to find.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I know this isn't in your list, but if I was looking for a family car, and already had a fun one like the Boxster, I'd just buy a 4Cyl manual tranny'ed Accord and be done with it. It's not special to look at, but it's as rock-solid of an automobile "investment" as you're going to find.
Boo... that's too boring. This car will probably get a good amount of use, why have to deal with a boring car just because the other car is fun?

Back on topic:

Congrats!

I've read good things about the Countryman and I'm very impressed by the pricing. You could probably go with the FWD version which the recent Motoringfile review claims to be the "best buy" for a current MINI owner looking to switch over. At $32k MSRP I think you'll have a hard time beating it when you factor in warranty, maintenance, and resale.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
It's a common misconception - even among people who actually have children.
Judging by all the stuff my wife says we "need" to have, and what all she already brings for just us on trips, it doesn't seem like anything short of a Suburban will do.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote