Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
This ought to get Rgal all riled up...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...2384/index.php

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

That site has no credibility.

Anyway, public transit is a good thing as it keeps more losers off MY roads.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3

It also provides a good way to get home from the bar, which a car emphatically does not.

I don't commute on the train, though I could if I wanted to. Traffic just isn't bad enough to justify it, and I generally carpool in the morning, so I feel like I'm at least a little green.

Having come from Detroit, which has essentially no usable public transit, I understand the value in a functioning public transit system. Living in DC, which has essentially no usable freeway network, I understand the value in adequate highway infrastructure. I think that neither the pro-car nor the pro-public transit nutcases are correct--in order to make a city that is both functional and pleasant to live in, you have to have a balance of both adequate roads and freeways and an adequate public transit system.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
DING!

If I worked in DC I would most certainly definitely absolutely use public transportation.

Since I go against the rush every day, 12 miles each way to and from work, I take my 50MPG motorcycle or my ~22MPG car. Both of which are way more fun than waiting for the bus.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Quote:
DING!

If I worked in DC I would most certainly definitely absolutely use public transportation.

Since I go against the rush every day, 12 miles each way to and from work, I take my 50MPG motorcycle or my ~22MPG car. Both of which are way more fun than waiting for the bus.
Look through the archives and find the manual trannies must die rant. What a fucking moron that was.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

It also provides a good way to get home from the bar, which a car emphatically does not.

I don't commute on the train, though I could if I wanted to. Traffic just isn't bad enough to justify it, and I generally carpool in the morning, so I feel like I'm at least a little green.

Having come from Detroit, which has essentially no usable public transit, I understand the value in a functioning public transit system. Living in DC, which has essentially no usable freeway network, I understand the value in adequate highway infrastructure. I think that neither the pro-car nor the pro-public transit nutcases are correct--in order to make a city that is both functional and pleasant to live in, you have to have a balance of both adequate roads and freeways and an adequate public transit system.
I rather my wife drive to work, but traffic is insane and parking is positively ridiculous in downtown Boston.

The thing is, at 8pm there is almost no traffic. She could drive back home in 20 minutes. If public transprtation keeps getting more expensive, it wont be long before the difference in cost of driving vs parking plus the benefit of not being a slave to the commuter rail schedule may be a wash.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

I rather my wife drive to work, but traffic is insane and parking is positively ridiculous in downtown Boston.

The thing is, at 8pm there is almost no traffic. She could drive back home in 20 minutes. If public transprtation keeps getting more expensive, it wont be long before the difference in cost of driving vs parking plus the benefit of not being a slave to the commuter rail schedule may be a wash.
yeah.

but isn't it great to have that option of using commuter rail? and she can still be doing billable hours on the train, which is a small bonus.

i love the option of taking the commuter rail on days when i don't feel like driving through the mess that is 128 & the masspike. it takes longer and there is less flexibility, but i get an incredible amount of work done because i'm staving off boredom plus the sheer peer pressure to be productive since everyone else is working.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
Roadstergal
Butting in.

My sister got a job with Microsoft and is moving back up here this weekend (yaay!). She has a bus pass and is going to use it. From looking at the traffic on 520E in the mornings - I would, too!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

My commute (when I am in town) is about 70 - 90 miles. About 1.25 - 1.5 hours by car, if traffic is normal.

OTOH, I can take the train and Metro, about 2 hours. BUT, in the morning, I get to go back to sleep for 1.5 hours of train ride.

In the afternoon I get to spend time talking with my wife (probably more quality time than most other people). Or we can read or she can knit, or we can even nap.

And the BIG thing, when I arrive at work or home, I am RELAXED and not ready to go postal on the idiot drivers.

Not to mention, much less wear and tear and mileage on our vehicles. Old style, over 30K miles per year. New style, about 10K miles per year.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST

Having come from Detroit, which has essentially no usable public transit....
Hey now, I've been to Detroit...they have that odd elevated train thing that goes in like a 4 block circle.

I found the ultimate solution for traffice issues...move close to work. My commute is only 6 miles, and my wife's is 3.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote