carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Interesting opportunity...

Long story short, I have the opportunity to participate in a one-on-one with a team of Corvette engineers to discuss why people choose Porsches over Corvettes. Never mind the fact that I sold my Porsche and bought a Corvette to replace it.

I have very little idea of how this discussion will be structured but what I gather is they're looking for specific insights as to what aspects of Porsches make them more appealing than Corvettes.

Based on almost a year of Vette ownership here are my negative thoughts on the car, compared to the Boxster:

* Terrible seats. Poor quality "leather," unsupportive, and not rigid.
* Poor steering feel (compared to a Boxster - the 997 911 steering feel is just as bad)
* Poor brake pedal feel
* Poor quality interior look / feel (not as much of an issue on the C6, but still not up to the quality of the Porsche).
* No options available to upgrade the car like you can with a Porsche (and stuff the company could make a LOT of money off of). Stupid stuff that Corvette guys would gladly pay big bucks for like custom seat stitching, a la carte carbon fiber / aluminum / leather interior components, different color seat belts, etc. But also, good stuff like upgraded seats, shift knob, steering wheel, larger / wider wheels, upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, etc. Again, charge out the nose for it - people will still buy it.

How about you guys - any inputs from those of you that have actually driven both a Vette and a Porsche?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Long story short, I have the opportunity to participate in a one-on-one with a team of Corvette engineers to discuss why people choose Porsches over Corvettes.
They need engineers to figure this out?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I never got to drive the Porsche, and my vette is old.

I think we all know the real reason most people buy the P-car is for the badge and the associated stigmas.

Other possible issues may be related to the dealership (sales and service) experience.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
They need engineers to figure this out?
Short answer yes, or at least they can be better. Marketing people tend to suck at what it actually takes to do certain technical things (over and under estimating).

-----------

John,

I think you covered the majority. How the car feels from the inside is a big deal. People dropping $$$ on P-cars tend to come from or still own other high-end German cars. Basically give the interior the quality and attention to detail that a CTS-V gets. Or as you say, at least the option. Customization is huge. A P-car can be configured to look like and be an elegant luxury GT or a crazy, raw, sportscar. Beyond the actual choice, people can be sold on one but actually buy the other. How the car is marketed is also important.

Also, for me, the 'vette dealer experience was apalling (I got kicked out of the dealership by a sleazy salesman who got annoyed when I called him out on wasting my time when he didn't even have a car for me to drive). The experience at P-car dealership is in another league.

Then there is the issue of refinement. From my limited experience, the P-cars offer a real sports-car feel (direct, stiff, responsive, and can be made loud) while still being able to give you a break from the drama if you want it to (silky smooth, quiet idle, no rattles).

The corvette has got the numbers. It's the details, the experience, and the image that holds it back.

Just my $0.02.

This is a very cool opportunity, John.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The corvette has got the numbers. It's the details, the experience, and the image that holds it back.
I've never driven a Porsche, and only driven a 'Vette once, but that's probably what I would say, if backed into a corner and expected to come up with reasons why the Porsche experience is different. To me, the Vette and Porsche seem as opposite as night and day. Like comparing an Accord to a Merc S-Class.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Thanks for the feedback. I think ff hit the nail on the head... the majority view the cars as being very different, and I suspect the Corvette team would like to close the gap.

I also agree with bren. There are some things that will never change. A guy who wants a Porsche for the badge will never consider a Corvette.

I can't really comment first-hand about the dealership experience as I don't buy new cars, I don't go to dealers for service and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I've seen stories and complaints from people who didn't feel that Chevy salesmen treated them "special" enough...and concerns about (insert cheap Chevy car here) mechanics working on Corvettes.

Last edited by bren; 08-17-2009 at 02:12 PM.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think ff hit the nail on the head... the majority view the cars as being very different, and I suspect the Corvette team would like to close the gap.

I also agree with bren. There are some things that will never change. A guy who wants a Porsche for the badge will never consider a Corvette.

I can't really comment first-hand about the dealership experience as I don't buy new cars, I don't go to dealers for service and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I still haven't driven the Corvette, but just from sitting in it I think the seat issue is the biggest concern, followed by the ergonomics/hand slicer ashtray and then interior appearance.

On the seats, I am continually mystified by the inability of American car companies to source decent seats. It's not like there's much of a trick to it: a) pick up the phone, b) call Recaro. Done. But that isn't even necessary--drive any SP equipped BMW or any sporting VW or Audi and you are treated to seats that are orders of magnitude more supportive and more comfortable. I understand that GM may have to offer, shall we say, more accommodating seats for some of its customers of greater girth, but making seats with adjustable bolsters or offering optional seats would be most welcome.

The ergonomic issue is the same issue that GM has with a lot of their cars, and while it is definitely getting better, you still can't sit in a Corvette and say with a straight face that the interior materials quality/layout is as good as Porsche...or even VW. Seriously, tell the engineers to buy a $25,000 VW GTI and study the interior materials quality, layout of controls, and seats and explain to their program managers why they can't match that level of quality in a $50,000 sports car.

John, your point about customization is an excellent one. The a la carte pricing that Porsche uses is a great way to keep the entry price low while allowing the company to make stupid amounts of money from people who want body color vent rings.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I understand that GM may have to offer, shall we say, more accommodating seats for some of its customers of greater girth
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
JST

For a counter-point, see the post from "Scandinavin Flick" on Jalopnik re: how much he loves the C5 Corvette seats. Warning--a mildly NSFW pic is included.

http://jalopnik.com/5338714/what-are...able-car-seats
JST is offline   Reply With Quote