carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Ho Co would never do that as those vans use radar, which will provide adequate warning to those with radar detectors. Nope, Ho Co is a slave to it's LIDAR.
Then put in fixed photo units -- with embedded road sensors. That's what the City of Scottsdale does out here (plus 4 mobile vans - although you really don't need a radar detector to ID them as you can spot them far enough out to avoid them)...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #32
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Insane that the population of MD has not revolted to this level of draconian speed enforcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka
But no one ever does because no one ever fight their speeding tickets.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #33
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I'm not saying it isn't, but I've never seen it done quite as brazenly in Montgomery Co. They stand along the edge of the road and point. But they don't physically block your path.
I've seen officers on 695, 95, and rt50 stand IN the fast lane to pull people over.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #34
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I've seen officers on 695, 95, and rt50 stand IN the fast lane to pull people over.
How much of that do you think is direction, and how much is just officer sensibility? If I were a police officer, I don't think they could pay me enough to actually stand in a lane of travel. Maybe from the shoulder, behind an immovable concrete barrier.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #35
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
What I don't get is.... If you were going to stand in the middle of the lane to pull someone over, wouldn't you be ready to jump out of the way if they didn't stop?

Maybe both the driver AND the officer were not paying attention????
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #36
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
In just about every implementation in the US, photo radar is managed and paid for by contractors that are paid with a cut of the income generated. There's no downside to the municipality to do it this way.
Sure about that? As you know, the CA red light cameras were turned off for a time b/c of this practice. The manufacturer does not share in the revenue any longer b/c private companies taking a cut of law enforcement fines wasn't acceptable. I don't know anything about photo cameras, but the concept is the same.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #37
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
How much of that do you think is direction, and how much is just officer sensibility?
I'm guessing you haven't met many MD State Troopers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
What I don't get is.... If you were going to stand in the middle of the lane to pull someone over, wouldn't you be ready to jump out of the way if they didn't stop?

Maybe both the driver AND the officer were not paying attention????
Part of the fun is the reaction of the driver being pulled over as the cop scares them by standing in the middle of the road. Many of these people don't actually realize how long it takes to stop a vehicle doing 80mph (or that you can't just swerve without consequence.)
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #38
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Insane that the population of MD has not revolted to this level of draconian speed enforcement.
Exactly what do you suggest we do?

They're not very creative with their locations for speed traps. I've never been nabbed because I know where they trap and I slow down in those areas. Easy.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #39
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I'm guessing you haven't met many MD State Troopers.

Part of the fun is the reaction of the driver being pulled over as the cop scares them by standing in the middle of the road. Many of these people don't actually realize how long it takes to stop a vehicle doing 80mph (or that you can't just swerve without consequence.)
Doesn't seem like a particularly prudent or responsible means of educating them.

What an insane practice. I've never seen anything like that in NJ.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #40
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Sure about that? As you know, the CA red light cameras were turned off for a time b/c of this practice. The manufacturer does not share in the revenue any longer b/c private companies taking a cut of law enforcement fines wasn't acceptable. I don't know anything about photo cameras, but the concept is the same.
The last I heard about the red light camera stuff in San Diego was that the issue was that the contract forbade the yellow light duration from being changed after the cameras were installed.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote