carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
JST

Alex has four kids...I may have gone a little far in my critique of lifestyle choices.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Alex has four kids...I may have gone a little far in my critique of lifestyle choices.
It was for a good cause

Q7 sounds like no fun for even that type of vehicle, but it’s that type of vehicle, so it’s sad.

My Armada seated 7. It was the right vehicle at the right time in my life. Even without the towing. The 7 seater minivan that came a few years later was also the right vehicle at the right time. The only bad thing about it was it was a minivan. Same thing the only thing wrong with the E46 was that it was a BMW

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

I’ve got 3 kids and have had 7 seaters for the last 14 years, we felt a need for it because between the kids friends, nieces and nephew there were many times where the third row was needed.

Finally now that 2 of the 3 kids drive we are at the point where the third row is not used as often ... most likely when the lease is up we will be getting my wife a sedan.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
JST

The third row in the Q7 is useful for double amputees and kids under the age of 8. Maybe. My 7 year old got back there and his first question was "do these seats go back farther??" (spoiler: no).

My daughter (nearly 12) claims that we could use the third row all the time to haul her friends around. She is wrong. None of her friends would want to sit back there in a parking lot, let alone while the thing is in motion.

Honestly, we found the jump seats in the back of the first Tesla useful on...half a dozen occasions, potentially, and that was just because the kids were both still in car seats. We could have gotten by without them. If it meant never having to drive this Audi again, I'd hire an uber on those occasions.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #15
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
On one of my trips to CA for my brother, I rented a VW Atlas. It actually was a decent car. I don't know if it is related to the Audi Q7 or so - it was 'big' and had that 'square shoulder' feel that you mentioned.

But - I liked it. I actually did. The first rental in quite a while I would not mind owning.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #16
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
right vehicle at the right time in my life.
I've been through a few iterations of that over the past 18 years. Including also owning an Armada, which hauled 8. It was, absolutely, the correct type of car for us at that time.

Quote:
The third row in the Q7 is useful for double amputees and kids under the age of 8.
Our Pilot (current Gen) had a perfectly usable 3rd row, and we carried teens and adults back there on many occasions with no complaints about legroom. The Pilot and Q7 are similarly sized on the outside, so perhaps the difference is that Audi isn't very good at efficient packaging on the interior (?). Actually, see my comment above about the A4.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 AM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
You could say the same things about a Suburban or a Tahoe, but they serve a purpose. We rent something like that every year when we go on a family ski trip. Five adults plus all of our gear fit comfortably in them. It's hard to do that in a wagon.

And I suspect this isn't your demographic, but there are huge swaths of the American population who go on family trips every year towing travel trailers. Or boats. Or jet skis, or whatever. I agree that big SUVs suck to drive every day, but if you can't afford two vehicles (or don't have the space, or don't want two vehicles) then it makes sense to own one. As a kid I went on tons of camping trips with my friends' families, and we all piled into massively-overloaded minivans or full-size vans to make those trips. I'd much rather drive a Q7 than a Chevy Express.

I remember all the uproar when Ford introduced the Excursion. Why would anyone need such a massive mall-crawler? Well I'll be damned if those pieces of Ford garbage aren't still super popular with racers and off-roaders and outdoorsman because they swallow a lot of gear, they have 4WD, and you could buy them with a diesel.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 AM   #18
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
You could say the same things about a Suburban or a Tahoe, but they serve a purpose. We rent something like that every year when we go on a family ski trip. Five adults plus all of our gear fit comfortably in them. It's hard to do that in a wagon.

And I suspect this isn't your demographic, but there are huge swaths of the American population who go on family trips every year towing travel trailers. Or boats. Or jet skis, or whatever. I agree that big SUVs suck to drive every day, but if you can't afford two vehicles (or don't have the space, or don't want two vehicles) then it makes sense to own one. As a kid I went on tons of camping trips with my friends' families, and we all piled into massively-overloaded minivans or full-size vans to make those trips. I'd much rather drive a Q7 than a Chevy Express.

I remember all the uproar when Ford introduced the Excursion. Why would anyone need such a massive mall-crawler? Well I'll be damned if those pieces of Ford garbage aren't still super popular with racers and off-roaders and outdoorsman because they swallow a lot of gear, they have 4WD, and you could buy them with a diesel.
If this thing drives anything like the GL, the problem with it is that it makes my diesel pickup truck feel small and agile in comparison. The GL lumbers in a way that I simply can’t understand and makes it one of the largest feeling vehicles I have ever driven.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #19
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
8 now that I married another dumbass.

Alex
Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
*Do you have lots of dogs? *Do you have a weekend house?

I think you're also forgetting the pet factor and the frequent travel to a remote destination. We maxed out our X5 every weekend we drove out to Rappahannock. Three dogs in the way back, kid in the backseat, and all our gear, occasionally a couple of cats as well. (Plus a stop for groceries midway, because we had no real stores closer than 30 miles).

There were many times my kid had his feet on top of boxes or bags, and stuff crammed in all around him. The dogs, too.

We couldn't leave a rooftop carrier on the X, because it wouldn't fit in the garage that way. And we couldn't face putting it on and taking it off every other week.

I will concede that the X5 form factor is the biggest thing I ever want to drive regularly. And, I avoid driving it as much as I can.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote