carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #101
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Not as exciting as a mecan review would be.

I'm curious about the Mazda, but I doubt I'd buy one just on principle. Stupid 4cyl engine.
yeah, sadly I think my wife has ruled out the Macan since she wants to stick to third row for now.

I think I will be ok with the 4-cylinder since it has 310 ftlbs of torque or whatever. Guessing it will feel faster in town over the mdx unless they are aggressive with the MPG tuning.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #102
Alan
Carmudgeon

That was a glowing review of the MDX

I found when I test drove the MDX and it was on some back roads I was really impressed with the way it took the curves but that could be because I was coming from having 3 MB GL450’s in a row which were all much larger and more truck like than the MDX

Having now lived with the MDX for just about a year I have to say it is a really good SUV. It is very carlike and also really comfortable to drive.

The steering can be strange at times as it has some computer controls that sometimes auto steer for you but overall I find it not that noticeable anymore. I certainly wouldn’t be taking it for a spirited drive but I wouldn’t take any suv for a spirited ride.

I’m not sure which drivers modes you changed, did you use the D/S button or the one that gives you the 3 different modes (comfort, normal, dynamic)
I find the multiple power modes really changes the car, in the sport and dynamic mode it is aggressive to the point of annoying to drive. It kicks into lower gears as it decelerates which would be cool in a 911 but this truck just isn't that much of a drivers car where it is enjoyable.

I think the big picture is these are SUV’s and my take on these type of vehicles is not are they fun to drive but more about the comfort and utility. Of course I want a nice ride, nice handling and nice power but I’m not looking for any of those categories to be ‘great’. To be great you need an X5M for a MB Amg though I’m not a truck guy so none of those would really interest me.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #103
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to keep to a 50k max so AMG/M are out since don't want to buy them used.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #104
Alan
Carmudgeon

I know you (Jeff) mentioned the Macan, today I have the attached loaner car, it is a 2017 Macan S with 400 miles. Overall great car, still feels like an SUV but it reminds me of the BMW X's I've driven which have a drivers feel to them. I was a little disappointed by the exhaust note ... maybe there is a sport exhaust option to purchase to change this

It also was not quite as fast as I expected ... big picture is for an SUV it is kind of fun'ish to drive, the weird thing is it didn't feel sports sedan'ish which was the feeling I got when I first drove my sisters 2015 Macan S, her car felt like a Tall sports sedan.

My brother is picking up the redesigned Audi SQ5 in a few weeks I am interested to see how that one drives.

BTW Porsche maintenance is crazy ... over $2k for this service but at 5 1/2 yrs old it isn't quite as bad as I thought. It just kills me they have to remove my rear bumper to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6015.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	11486  
Old 10-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #105
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

thanks, odd that the new version does not feel like your sisters. Don't think there are any sport suspension options. There is a trick diff that you can option but guessing you did not push them that hard to notice.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #106
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
a buddy of mine just got a Q5 3.0T. Its quite pleasant. A little too small in the back / trunk for my 3 kids and a dog needs ( I would feel bad putting my dog in the trunk without the seats down, something she fits really well in the x5 and decently in the 3 wagon), but I enjoyed thrashing it around for an hour.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #107
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
thanks, odd that the new version does not feel like your sisters. Don't think there are any sport suspension options. There is a trick diff that you can option but guessing you did not push them that hard to notice.
Yeah, I was wondering... Did something change? Or did you just perceive it differently this time.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #108
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Yeah, I was wondering... Did something change? Or did you just perceive it differently this time.
It is strange ... i’ve got to drive my sisters car again ...
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #109
Alan
Carmudgeon

Ok spent another day driving the Macan S and yes living with a car compared to a small drive changes things ... this car drives really well and I for the first time had thought that I could replace my sedan with this one though then thought again and said maybe it’s wishful thinking ... no clue ... I haven’t driven my A6 for a week and when I drive it tomorrow I’ll know for sure how I really feel.

Meanwhile this little truck drives and feels very good ... it is in a different league than the suvs I have had which includes the MDX and the gl450.

Still kinda reminds me of the X3 and how good that suv drives.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #110
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
s me of the X3 and how good that suv drives.
Which model X3 did you like?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote