carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #1201
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
That taper is not a Supercharger limitation. It's a limitation of the battery.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #1202
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
That taper is not a Supercharger limitation. It's a limitation of the battery.
True... But it still adds time at the charger if you insist on a high charge %...
Old 04-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #1203
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
new Model S is getting better and better.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #1204
JST

http://jalopnik.com/the-75k-model-s-...sla-1696359576

What lemming is referring to.

It's not being reported, but it looks like the RWD Model S 85 might also be dead?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #1205
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
http://jalopnik.com/the-75k-model-s-...sla-1696359576

What lemming is referring to.

It's not being reported, but it looks like the RWD Model S 85 might also be dead?
I don't see it in the design studio.

I am also not sure where Jalopnik is getting the 522 hp number; the design studio for the 70D says 329, nearly 100 less than the 422 for the 85D.

http://my.teslamotors.com/models/design
Old 04-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #1206
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
This makes very little sense to me. I have near-zero interest in AWD but would pay more to get more range.

I have even less interest in bonkers power for something that's a big appliance.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #1207
JST

Quote:
This makes very little sense to me. I have near-zero interest in AWD but would pay more to get more range.

I have even less interest in bonkers power for something that's a big appliance.
Never mind. It's still there--you have to select "85D," and then de-select AWD, which knocks 5K off the price.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #1208
ZBB
Relic

Man... I now drive a discontinued car!

Looking through the options list, they've done some pretty big changes:
- Base model now includes Nav (actually was a change a month or two ago...), folding mirrors and Homelink -- all which were in in the Premium Package previously. Also includes Supercharger access for all cars (was previously a $2k option on 60s)
- The "extended leather + interior lighting" package is gone -- looks like they moved that to the new Premium Package, which continues to have the power lift gate and now includes the door handle lights. Although they don't mention extended leather anymore, just "higher quality materials")
- Autopilot is its own $2.5k package; can be enabled after purchase for a $500 premium
- They've reintroduced "Tesla Math" on the pricing workup -- although this time its limited to gas savings of $10k over 5 years. But you'd have to be replacing a 20 MPG car, have $4/gallon gas and drive 12k miles per year to get that. In my case, I drove a 22 MPG car about 13-14k miles per year at ~$3.5/gallon over 5 years, so I'm seeing pretty close to $2k/year gas savings with the Tesla. But if you drive less or are coming from a Prius, you won't achieve that...

As for pricing -- interestingly, a car equipped similar to mine is about $3k more than I paid. It would be AWD with more range. My car was an early car that had all the extended leather and interior lighting that was later optional -- dropping the new Premium Package and adding Autopilot would get you into a really well equipped Tesla for almost exactly what I paid in '2013. Not bad...

I'm still about a year off from making a decision on keeping my current Tesla or upgrading. Will need to start running numbers late this year...

Last edited by ZBB; 04-08-2015 at 03:31 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #1209
ZBB
Relic

Quote:

The AWD Teslas have higher range for the same battery...

S85 = 265 miles rated range
S85D = 270 miles rated...

And of course TMC is all wondering if a S95, S100 or S105 will be offered soon... I could plausibly see Tesla introducing a larger top-end battery with the X and it also being avail on the S...
Old 04-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #1210
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Man... I now drive a discontinued car!

Looking through the options list, they've done some pretty big changes:
- Base model now includes Nav (actually was a change a month or two ago...), folding mirrors and Homelink -- all which were in in the Premium Package previously. Also includes Supercharger access for all cars (was previously a $2k option on 60s)
- The "extended leather + interior lighting" package is gone -- looks like they moved that to the new Premium Package, which continues to have the power lift gate and now includes the door handle lights. Although they don't mention extended leather anymore, just "higher quality materials")
- Autopilot is its own $2.5k package; can be enabled after purchase for a $500 premium
- They've reintroduced "Tesla Math" on the pricing workup -- although this time its limited to gas savings of $10k over 5 years. But you'd have to be replacing a 20 MPG car, have $4/gallon gas and drive 12k miles per year to get that. In my case, I drove a 22 MPG car about 13-14k miles per year at ~$3.5/gallon over 5 years, so I'm seeing pretty close to $2k/year gas savings with the Tesla. But if you drive less or are coming from a Prius, you won't achieve that...

As for pricing -- interestingly, a car equipped similar to mine is about $3k more than I paid. It would be AWD with more range. My car was an early car that had all the extended leather and interior lighting that was later optional -- dropping the new Premium Package and adding Autopilot would get you into a really well equipped Tesla for almost exactly what I paid in '2013. Not bad...

I'm still about a year off from making a decision on keeping my current Tesla or upgrading. Will need to start running numbers late this year...
It does seem that this 70D is actually a pretty decent deal.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote