Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #61
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I will say $100,000,000 is enough

As far as retirement, a few things are in play for us. I like my job enough that I would not want to do the FIRE thing and retire at a lower std of living than I would want. Strictly speaking, we probably could do that in 10 years or so, which happens to roughly coincide with when our boys would be done with college. Our home would also happen to be paid off right around then based on the refi this past spring.

So I'd say 10 years from now plus a couple more years to lick our wounds from the college expense would probably do it. But I'd be too young and probably feel lazy not to work, so I imagine I might work for a couple more years beyond that. My wife would surely wind way down and just keep a select few clients. Too much uncertainty this far out to plan details.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #62
dan
redefined

you mean not everyone is banking on college being free by the time their kids go?
Old 02-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #63
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
you mean not everyone is banking on college being free by the time their kids go?
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #64
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
My money sitting in my 529 hopes not but paying taxes on that is better then paying for college
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #65
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Man, what did I start?

I'm a big Quicken user -- have data back nearly 30 years and every transaction is downloaded and categorized. I also put cars in as assets and depreciate them every month or two (based on Edmunds), and then close it out when I sell the car.

For my initial TCO post, I literally just ran a report from quicken on my Auto category and subcategories and only looked at my personal bank account and the car accounts (didn't want to mix up my wife's cars). I then just ran the report from the month I bought each car through the month I sold it. Basically gave me one number and I divided by the # months in that report. Was pretty quick but also pretty easy... Would be a lot harder to go back and dig up the mileage on each of the cars to get the cost per mile!

---------

As for retirement/college planning:
a) we're on track for retirement
b) we have a little catching up to do for college, although that's only counting "college funds". But we have enough "other" cash/investments to help get our daughter through college now (and college doesn't start for another 4.5 years...)

In order to retire now, I'd say we'd need approx $10 million in total cash/investments. As we get closer to retirement, that number actually goes down -- mostly since we both have pensions on top of 401k... The pensions would be enough to get by in a worst case scenario (although would be a drop in lifestyle vs today). With what we have already saved, plus another 11-16 years working and saving, we should be OK (I turn 60 in 11 years -- and can draw full pension at 60)...
Old 02-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #66
JST

Whatever is the opposite of what ZBB does is what I do, as far as record keeping goes.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #67
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Whatever is the opposite of what ZBB does is what I do, as far as record keeping goes.
I am a bit of a finance geek. Not just at work either
Old 02-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #68
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Never fear, though—GM knows how to do dumb stuff (see eg Blackwing V8), so who knows what short lived lunacy lies between now and then.
https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...blackwing.html

I have a friend that's been working on this for a while, but couldn't say anything until last night. Sounds like he and his team are very proud of what they've created and said to be on the lookout for track times to be published in the future.

The CT4 Blackwing looks like it makes a compelling argument on paper against competitive vehicles. Given my experience with the Camaros, it's hard to imagine that both cars won't be amazing drivers.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #69
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

I have a friend that's been working on this for a while, but couldn't say anything until last night. Sounds like he and his team are very proud of what they've created and said to be on the lookout for track times to be published in the future.

The CT4 Blackwing looks like it makes a compelling argument on paper against competitive vehicles. Given my experience with the Camaros, it's hard to imagine that both cars won't be amazing drivers.
There was a segment on this car during the TV coverage of the Rolex 24 last weekend. Segment was about 4-5 minutes long, with a few of the notable Cadillac race drivers taking the car out onto the Daytona track for a lap or two each.

Looked, . . . interesting. All the drivers raved about it, but they all had a Cadillac logo on their fire suits so . . .
Old 02-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #70
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

The CT5 makes an interesting argument for itself.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote