carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #51
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
With Apple Carplay, you can just click on the address on your phone, and Apple Maps picks it up on the screen, with arrows on the dash, and prompts on your Apple Watch. Just requires dealing with Apple Maps, and being an Apple fanboy/girl.
Come on, be honest. Nobody uses Apple Maps.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #52
robg
Carmudgeon

Anyone driven an F30 330?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The car was a 2012. My experience was based in 2015. I guess it's been updated since then, which is good. Does BMW still make you pay for map updates, or do they have the capability to update them over the air?

Suction cupped to the window? Propped in the console / cupholder? No.

http://proclipusa.com/

edit to correct link because my copy paste skills fail.

Yes over the air map updates are included.

Forgot about proclip - yes I tried that as well. Had multiple issues with it falling off the vent .
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #53
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
With Apple Carplay, you can just click on the address on your phone, and Apple Maps picks it up on the screen, with arrows on the dash, and prompts on your Apple Watch. Just requires dealing with Apple Maps, and being an Apple fanboy/girl.

The car I drove had CarPlay as well but I don't think I'd ever use it. Prefer the built in nav. App integration with pandora and Spotify works without CarPlay as well.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #54
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I could find a leftover 17 x3 35i in a decent spec, I'd likely do that- but they are pretty much impossible to find at this point.
Why not locate or even order a 2018? BTW, 2018 is last year of F15 production. It is quite easy to achieve 10 to 14 percent off MSRP via the right BMW Center. The savings on a leftover 2017 would have not been greater.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #55
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
FWIW I thought Siri was just about completely useless when I had an iPhone, but that was the first generation with Siri (4S?) and I'm sure it's improved since then.
Siri has improved in the sense that if you had to compare the two in detail and had to pick a winner.

Siri has become really good for some things like "hey siri, unread messages" and having it speak incoming texts, let you dictate a response that it reads back to you and doing it all without looking at a screen.

For everything else, no.

We run tests in the car between Siri and OK Google. It's like Siri doesn't even show up.

Quote:
Forgot about proclip - yes I tried that as well. Had multiple issues with it falling off the vent .
Proclip rocks. More better than anything.

Quote:
The car I drove had CarPlay as well but I don't think I'd ever use it.
The beauty of CarPlay and the Android equivalent is that they're passthroughs that aren't wedded as closely to the car tech. If they keep being able to connect to the phones, they should improve in the future, unlike the built in stuff.

But with Proclip and such...why bother?

I used to be an advocate for built-ins. Not any more.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #56
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Siri has improved in the sense that if you had to compare the two in detail and had to pick a winner.

Siri has become really good for some things like "hey siri, unread messages" and having it speak incoming texts, let you dictate a response that it reads back to you and doing it all without looking at a screen.

For everything else, no.

We run tests in the car between Siri and OK Google. It's like Siri doesn't even show up.

Proclip rocks. More better than anything.

The beauty of CarPlay and the Android equivalent is that they're passthroughs that aren't wedded as closely to the car tech. If they keep being able to connect to the phones, they should improve in the future, unlike the built in stuff.

But with Proclip and such...why bother?

I used to be an advocate for built-ins. Not any more.

Yep- totally get the arguments behind using Carplay or simply mounting your phone. Having used Carplay now in several rental cars, as well as trying various in-car phone mounting options, I've had enough frustrations that I'd still prefer a good built-in unit. Can I deal w/ those frustrations? Sure. Would I prefer not to? Yes. They are tolerable but not good. If I had a special/classic car without modern electronics of course I'd use my phone. Or if I wanted to continue to drive nothing but older fully-depreciated cars, sure. But in a newer daily driver type car I'd rather not.

To me, CarPlay/Android Auto are great in a low-end car or a rental car. Worst case, you'll have key functions projected on a larger in-vehicle screen in a consistent way that you're familiar with. Also great in vehicles with terrible infotainment systems.

Some (most?) built-in systems are (or have been) truly awful. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by the latest idrive. Does everything I expect quickly/easily. Overall better than using CarPlay. Should CarPlay become amazing over the next few years, it supports that as well. It does NOT support Android Auto, however.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #57
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Yep- totally get the arguments behind using Carplay or simply mounting your phone. Having used Carplay now in several rental cars, as well as trying various in-car phone mounting options, I've had enough frustrations that I'd still prefer a good built-in unit. Can I deal w/ those frustrations? Sure. Would I prefer not to? Yes. They are tolerable but not good. If I had a special/classic car without modern electronics of course I'd use my phone. Or if I wanted to continue to drive nothing but older fully-depreciated cars, sure. But in a newer daily driver type car I'd rather not.

To me, CarPlay/Android Auto are great in a low-end car or a rental car. Worst case, you'll have key functions projected on a larger in-vehicle screen in a consistent way that you're familiar with. Also great in vehicles with terrible infotainment systems.

Some (most?) built-in systems are (or have been) truly awful. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by the latest idrive. Does everything I expect quickly/easily. Overall better than using CarPlay. Should CarPlay become amazing over the next few years, it supports that as well. It does NOT support Android Auto, however.
I don’t have anything against built in systems and I’d expect the latest and greatest versions in some cars to be pretty good. Part of the question, I think, is how long will today’s best continue to be good? 3 years? 5? 10?

I didn’t mean to argue at all. I’m not too fond of Apple Maps with CarPlay today. I just see promise in it. No experience with android auto. And, FWIW, I have never used any iteration of BMw’s IDrive.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #58
JST

Quote:
I don’t have anything against built in systems and I’d expect the latest and greatest versions in some cars to be pretty good. Part of the question, I think, is how long will today’s best continue to be good? 3 years? 5? 10?

I didn’t mean to argue at all. I’m not too fond of Apple Maps with CarPlay today. I just see promise in it. No experience with android auto. And, FWIW, I have never used any iteration of BMw’s IDrive.
I think 5 is the most you can reasonably expect. Tesla's system was pretty solid when it launched but even with some updates it's getting a little long-in-tooth now, particularly with respect to integration of other electronics (or lack thereof). That will happen even faster with cars that don't do OTA updates.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #59
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

I'd expect that the latest/greatest will be considered "good" for maybe 2 years, "acceptable" for 2 years and then "outdated" after that. OTA updates will mitigate that somewhat.