carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
TESLA: Even our factories catch on fire!
huh?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
dan
redefined

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...owTwt_BAYBrand
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post

i'm sure it is what you say it is, but that news article is...very careful with its language.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

i'm sure it is what you say it is, but that news article is...very careful with its language.
Plant was hit by a giant flying trailer hitch.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

not often that i crack up from reading this board. that's hilarious
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
not often that i crack up from reading this board. that's hilarious

it's true.

it took my slow brain awhile to understand how goddamn funny what he wrote is.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
JST

For those of you playing along at home, the Model S got another limited price increase recently, which applies only to the Performance model. The price of that jumped $3500, though that's offset by the inclusion of an alcantara headliner, a carbon fiber spoiler (oooo!), and red paint for the brake calipers.

The price of the "Tech Package" also went up by $250 a few weeks ago, which reflects the inclusion of power folding mirrors.

Still no word on whether they'll offer an UnderArmour package, with sports logos and skid plates for the front of the battery.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So I received another software update from Tesla this morning -- a mere 11 days after getting the last update.

The new version is 5.8, previous was 5.6. The release notes document only 2 additional features -- a TPMS reset (which previously had to be done by the service center), and a "Wiper Service Mode" (which holds the wipers up, allowing the blades to be changed or snow/ice removed from the windshield).

Interestingly, this seems to be the first very fast rollout of an update from Tesla. First reports of it showing up were on Friday, and many TMC Forums members are reporting they are receiving it. In comparison, 5.6 first started showing up in mid Oct, and I received it about 3 weeks later -- and others still had not received it.

There is speculation (and a bit of an uproar) on TMC that the fast rollout may be due to Tesla's response to the fires -- an undocumented "feature" of 5.8 is that it disables the air suspension from lowering the car at speed. I had speculated someplace here (may not have been this thread) that a contributing factor to the 1st and 3rd fires may have been due to the ride-height being lower at speed -- i.e. the car self lowered, reducing ground clearance, which made it easier for the road hazard objects (a curved piece of metal and a trailer hitch) to penetrate the battery. The uproar at TMC is that this feature is being removed without notice to buyers of the Air Suspension (since many of them purchased the option since it promised better handling and range when the car self-lowered at speed).

My car does not have air suspension (I didn't want the potential for very expensive post-warranty work since air suspension systems can be very costly to replace). So this has no impact on me... But it will be curious to know if that is the reason for the quick rollout...
Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
So I received another software update from Tesla this morning -- a mere 11 days after getting the last update.

The new version is 5.8, previous was 5.6. The release notes document only 2 additional features -- a TPMS reset (which previously had to be done by the service center), and a "Wiper Service Mode" (which holds the wipers up, allowing the blades to be changed or snow/ice removed from the windshield).

Interestingly, this seems to be the first very fast rollout of an update from Tesla. First reports of it showing up were on Friday, and many TMC Forums members are reporting they are receiving it. In comparison, 5.6 first started showing up in mid Oct, and I received it about 3 weeks later -- and others still had not received it.

There is speculation (and a bit of an uproar) on TMC that the fast rollout may be due to Tesla's response to the fires -- an undocumented "feature" of 5.8 is that it disables the air suspension from lowering the car at speed. I had speculated someplace here (may not have been this thread) that a contributing factor to the 1st and 3rd fires may have been due to the ride-height being lower at speed -- i.e. the car self lowered, reducing ground clearance, which made it easier for the road hazard objects (a curved piece of metal and a trailer hitch) to penetrate the battery. The uproar at TMC is that this feature is being removed without notice to buyers of the Air Suspension (since many of them purchased the option since it promised better handling and range when the car self-lowered at speed).

My car does not have air suspension (I didn't want the potential for very expensive post-warranty work since air suspension systems can be very costly to replace). So this has no impact on me... But it will be curious to know if that is the reason for the quick rollout...
kind of a clever running "fix", isn't it?

it's cool.

the 1st gen model S owners are people who aren't afraid of this kind of stuff, so you expect it. and the company is responsive.