carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
because stuka would beg to differ (i don't care so much), "integrated dry sump" --is that precisely the same thing as can be found on the new e46m3 and e60m6 engines (bmw calls it semidry sump)?

the concept is to keep the engine from suffering oil starvation with oil scavenging pumps so it's the same technically, is it?

or would purists beg to differ? i cannot figure it out because porsche's language is so vague but from the description the setup does the same thing as the old fashioned dry sump setup on the 993.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #22
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
because stuka would beg to differ (i don't care so much), "integrated dry sump" --is that precisely the same thing as can be found on the new e46m3 and e60m6 engines (bmw calls it semidry sump)?

the concept is to keep the engine from suffering oil starvation with oil scavenging pumps so it's the same technically, is it?

or would purists beg to differ? i cannot figure it out because porsche's language is so vague but from the description the setup does the same thing as the old fashioned dry sump setup on the 993.
Yeah. Just a wet sump with several different oil pumps at different ends of the sump to maintain pressure when the oil is sloshing around.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:27 PM   #23
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Congrats!
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:31 PM   #24
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Yeah. Just a wet sump with several different oil pumps at different ends of the sump to maintain pressure when the oil is sloshing around.
so...technically, it is porsche hiding behind language and it is a semidry system that achieves the same thing as a dry sump with a separate oil reservoir? see how confused porsche marketing has me?

Old 10-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #25
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
so...technically, it is porsche hiding behind language and it is a semidry system that achieves the same thing as a dry sump with a separate oil reservoir? see how confused porsche marketing has me?
So much so that they've run you off to the simple old fashioned pushrod powered American cars.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #26
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Eh, I can't be sure about Porsche. I've seen the S54 without the pan, it looks quite conventional to me. There is at least one other oil pickup off to the side, I think that's what it uses in lieu of what some people would consider to be a *true* dry-sump system.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #27
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Congrats! Enjoy!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #28
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
only performance enhancing option is the 18" wheel package

Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #29
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
So much so that they've run you off to the simple old fashioned pushrod powered American cars.
pushrods suit the neanderthal hiding inside of me.

i can appreciate the boxster (especially the boxster S) because i know how brilliantly it handles right out of the box. you guys realize by now that convertibles have just never been my cup of tea so other than that, i'd take the cayman (just a hardtop boxster) out of all of the cars in the lineup, if i was to buy a porsche again.

mid-engined placement is nice, as JV alluded to for steering feel as well as polar moment of inertia.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #30
JST

Quote:
Not quite the same thing; you still don't have quite the ability to resist centrifigual forces as you would with a true dry sump system. Moreover, you still have parasitic losses from having the crank whirl around in all that oil.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote