Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
LOL.

Actually it was just the nicest one I found, by far. It seems by and large, Boxster owners don't take care of their cars very well.
While I haven't been shopping for a Boxster, I've noticed that too just looking at ones parked.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
LOL.

Actually it was just the nicest one I found, by far. It seems by and large, Boxster owners don't take care of their cars very well.
That certainly makes sense. Boxster drivers are largely poseurs, after all. I don't have much room to argue; with this one latest exception, all of my cars have been black.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
While I haven't been shopping for a Boxster, I've noticed that too just looking at ones parked.
While walking to school earlier this year, I happened to cross a somewhat busy intersection during morning rush (M Street at the Key Bridge). A lady in a Boxster had gotten herself stuck in the intersection when the light turned red, so she tried to move up as far as she could....which she did by deliberately and slowly nudging, then sliding an inch or so under, the Land Rover stopped ahead of her. The Rover driver didn't even blink.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Congrats!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
While walking to school earlier this year, I happened to cross a somewhat busy intersection during morning rush (M Street at the Key Bridge). A lady in a Boxster had gotten herself stuck in the intersection when the light turned red, so she tried to move up as far as she could....which she did by deliberately and slowly nudging, then sliding an inch or so under, the Land Rover stopped ahead of her. The Rover driver didn't even blink.

I need to touch up the few stone chips the front end has, then Ken and I (mostly Ken) will be ClearShield™ing the front end.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #16
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
It could use a sportier alignment -
The back is already near zero toe... I wouldn't bother to check it if I were you.

rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

ugh

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #18
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
JV:

it's beautiful. did you have it checked out (i know you did) at a local stealer/dealer to make sure those infamous RMS issues are not an issue?

i am pretty sure the M96 blocks are all semi-dry and the language is so vague that it's pretty darn hard to tell if it is really a dry sump engine or not --i strongly suspect it is not a true, by the book dry sump engine. but porsche has worked pretty hard on the issue with their hybrid design.

is the tactile road feel just head and shoulders above what you're used to having in a car or what? there is nothing like the steering feel of a porsche (or an e36m3).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #19
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
JV:

it's beautiful. did you have it checked out (i know you did) at a local stealer/dealer to make sure those infamous RMS issues are not an issue?

i am pretty sure the M96 blocks are all semi-dry and the language is so vague that it's pretty darn hard to tell if it is really a dry sump engine or not --i strongly suspect it is not a true, by the book dry sump engine. but porsche has worked pretty hard on the issue with their hybrid design.

is the tactile road feel just head and shoulders above what you're used to having in a car or what? there is nothing like the steering feel of a porsche (or an e36m3).
LOL @ rumatt.

Yes. The car was leaking oil from the sump (which should be dry, right? ) when I went to look at it a couple weeks ago. I mentioned it to the owner who was not particularly mechanically savvy. He took it to his service place who said it was the valve covers and oil pressure sending unit. He actually had the repair done at HBL. Both places confirmed that it is not leaking from the RMS (at least not yet). Both places confirmed that the car is mechanically solid. It drives very well...

The steering is good. It's much quicker than the M3s steering. The steering wheel is smaller. The effort is also much higher. I appreciate all these things. I have a suspicion that part of the reason the car steers so well is the mid-engine layout. There isn't a whole lot of weight up front so the car naturally wants to change direction. There is a bunch more feel than in the M3 and the car has very little body roll which translates into a very composed feel. Overall, it's great! The M3 had a stiffer structure, though, methinks. I should add, I think the RX-8 has a faster steering ratio than this car and turns in just as fast, but with a lot more body roll (even on street tires) and a bit less feel. When driving this car I kept thinking to myself how great the RX-8's steering and suspension match up.

The stock alignment is supposed to be 1/16" total toe up front and rear, with zero (!!) front camber and -1.2 degrees rear camber. You can be sure I'll be getting around to checking all that once I have a bit more flexibility in my knee.

The real bummer is how much 18" wheels in the stock size cost for this car. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a set of crappy 18"s to throw some V710s on. I am really anxious to see how it autocrosses.

And the most important thing: Marisa looks really cute driving it and she gives it the thumbs up. Wonder how often I'll end up taking the Jetta to work...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #20
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
And the most important thing: Marisa looks really cute driving it and she gives it the thumbs up.

Without a doubt the most important criteria for a poseurmobile.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote