carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Allright, I guess it's on... We had another conversation about keeping vs. selling and perhaps this is a good time to let an 11-yr old car go on to greatness...

Top contenders:
1. Saabaru (FC: any cons of the aero? I can feel my usual budget creep coming on)
2. Acura RSX
3. Mazda3
4. gti
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Okay, the Boxster has a similar-sounding "housing" over the oil filter, which is a bare-element BMW-style filter. This "special" tool was purchased at Autozone for $5. Or, you can buy the Porsche one (made by Snap-on) for $100.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Top contenders:
1. Saabaru (FC: any cons of the aero? I can feel my usual budget creep coming on)
The Aero is just a WRX, so all WRX issues apply (gutless until turbo kicks in, more insurance, premium fuel, less fuel economy, etc), and all benefits apply, LSD, much more powerful, nicer wheels, better brakes and suspension, etc.

As far as Saabaru-raleated things to point out:

-The Aero options were set up with leather as a stand aolone option, which makes it difficult to find since most people didn't want to fork out the extra dough (understandably). However, the interior seats a cloth regardless, so you can imagine how nasty the seat scan get when you can't wipe them clean as with leather.

-In the Linear, the leather was part of a pricey pkg (premium) but it included a bunch more stuff, like the upgraded stereo, fogs, xenons, etc. But Aero has leather wheel and shift knob std as well as CD changer and upgraded stereo, IIRC.

So, the Aero was more conducive to spec bare-bones, which is why they seem/are cheap. The linear without the premium pkg was very cheap-looking inside (plastic steering wheel, hunk of crap stereo, etc), so you can find them really cheap, or pay a bit more and get one that has the prem pkg a $2500 option).

In short, I recommend the leather. But an Aero with leather may not be that cheap. A Linear like my old one is your best bet if you can find one, IMO. I sold mine for $16K a while back, so I am sure you could get one for 15 or less now. And you would still have ~2 years of warranty left.

Last edited by FC; 06-29-2007 at 09:38 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #24
dan
redefined

tell your gf to stop being a badge snob and buy a mazda3
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Okay, the Boxster has a similar-sounding "housing" over the oil filter, which is a bare-element BMW-style filter. This "special" tool was purchased at Autozone for $5. Or, you can buy the Porsche one (made by Snap-on) for $100.
Sadly (at least at the time) there was no autozone option. There was an online place that used to sell one for $10, but when I checked their price was up to $30 (plus I needed it ASAP, so I had no choice regardless). I don't know if this is an "R" only issue, or if all V70's/S60's use the tool as well.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #26
equ
Alphanumeric

She likes the mazda3. However, she knows all about mazda dealers from my rx-8 shopping (they're a lower form of humanity at least in this crummy area) and she hates the idea of having to go to a dealer for an oil change. I guess it's not necessary though she may have to be slightly picky about which gas station she goes to.

I'm the badge snob - I think it may not be as well built as a honda/acura/subaru product - and it's not awd. We need it to be VERY reliable. I don't care if my cars require some time & love, she doesn't like to spend more than a day/year on sth other than oil changes.

Last edited by equ; 06-29-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #27
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Can't you get a new Mazda3 for near that?
here in san diego they advertise the 5 door hatch in the sunday paper for $15,700 or so. the 5 door only comes with the large engine too.

I test drove one too and liked it too. nice little car.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

Fresh test drive report... Looked at saabarus. Drove both a MT linear & aero.

To be honest, we liked the linear a bit more. It's lacking in power (esp. for me) but the power delivery of the linear is linear whereas the aero is nonlinear and hard to drive smoothly. Considering that a cpo linear is asking 15.9k and the cpo aero is 20.7k, it's a no brainer for her. The cloth interior was really crappy though and I personally could never live with those seats leather or not (lower back). The power in the aero was much better but it takes some getting used esp. after coming from smooth bmw/porsche/audi normally aspirated products. It needs downshifts down to 1st regularly.

They are much, much quieter than a 96 impreza though you can feel they share dna.

Tomorrow we'll check out a mazda3 and we'll keep our eyes open for a premium linear.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #29
dan
redefined

cost of ownership is going to suck on the saab vs the mazda. initial price shouldn't be relevant
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #30
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
cost of ownership is going to suck on the saab vs the mazda. initial price shouldn't be relevant
Suck which way and why?