carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Can't you get a new Mazda3 for near that?
If you go with a no-frills sedan model, they start at under 15K. The Civic sedan and coupe also start at right around 15K.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
mazda3, ser-specv, mazda6
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Well, we've thought about it all afternoon and seem to be changing our minds. Perhaps it is time for the impreza to go to a new home (i.e. to a crazy mechanic who's going to stuff with sti'ness).

I'm thinking 10-15k as a budget. Requirements:
1. MT only
2. Decent handling/brakes/seats
3. Good mpg

I noticed that 03-04 accords (4-cyl) are priced around there and likely good value for the money. When I suggested, she went ballistic... So there's some image requirement of some sort. I think she likes hatches the most, with sporty wagons/coupes next. So an rsx is a possibility.

I'll have to do some research.
Just for fun, I typed into Autotrader a 75 mile radius search between 10 and 15k - lots of interesting stuff came up; Acura TSX's high mileage luxo cars and big, heavy duty pickup trucks.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Does anyone here have experience with Mazda3's?

Edmunds can't stop gushing but we spent some time on their forums last night and they tell a more realistic story... My gf is very practical and she was very turned off by the special wrench/filter making the dealer the best place for oil changes.

I think civics are great... However we are really turned off by their image in this area. That's why I suggested accord, which did not fly.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I know of a nice '02 WRX with 36K that will probably be up for sale pretty soon.
Must be wagon... Color, price?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #16
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:

Edmunds can't stop gushing but we spent some time on their forums last night and they tell a more realistic story... My gf is very practical and she was very turned off by the special wrench/filter making the dealer the best place for oil changes.

I think civics are great... However we are really turned off by their image in this area. That's why I suggested accord, which did not fly.
http://robert.aitchison.org/tiki-pag...DIY+Oil+Change

There's nothing really special about it. You may need to buy a hex driver and a new filter wrench if you don't already have one of the right size for an existing car. If that's the only thing stopping you from driving one, don't worry about it.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
She loves gti's... Is it reliable enough?
I can't believe I'm saying this... but if you're mechanically inclined and willing to spend the money to get the VAG-COM scanner and software (it's several hundred bucks) you can probably save yourself a lot of headaches.

If not, then no. It's not reliable enough. Move on.

Mazda 3 seems to be the best fit. What's this about a special wrench for oil changes?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
ff

Quote:
I test drove a 5-door hatch Mazda3 when I still owned the 330i, and couldn't believe how much the car drove like the BMW. It wasn't going to corner or accelerate as fast, but the overall feel was surprisingly similar. I also liked the interior layout and appearance.

You owe it to yourself to go drive one.

And to drive the Civic as well. If you can get past the Civic's unusual interior design, which happens to be ergonomically correct, the car is very roomy, very economical (up to 40 MPG), and holds its value ridiculously well.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #19
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but if you're mechanically inclined and willing to spend the money to get the VAG-COM scanner and software (it's several hundred bucks) you can probably save yourself a lot of headaches.

If not, then no. It's not reliable enough. Move on.

Mazda 3 seems to be the best fit. What's this about a special wrench for oil changes?
Oil filter is accessed from above, in a housing that requires a hex wrench. Housing itself removed easily with a standard oil filter wrench. It's not all that special.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
OT: I had to buy a $40 special tool for the Volvo oil change (bought at dealership as I was against the clock to do the oil chage before a trip to Canada). The filter (accessed from underneath), is inside a plastic housing with a multi-sided exterior with an OD of ~4". The housing is known to be fragile enough to crack if a regular oil filter /strap tool is used. So Volvo sells a special socket that grabs the plastic housing and attaches to a regular 1/2" socket wrench.

Access is a bitch too (had to use the tool with a 6" extension on the wrench), so the tool does make life much easier. And since we plan on having this car for 7 years, that's a lot of oil changes (no free maintenance), so I figured it was worth the investent.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote