carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-05-2024, 03:36 PM   #5941
SCA
Jaded

OG manual 997.2 GTS. Two Tennessee owners. I saw this car last year with an older gentleman in his mid 70s to early 80s driving it. Friend that is a technician at the local dealership has stated there is a feeding frenzy for it. Imagine that…

$90k with 34k miles. Silver which is a color I absolutely loathe.

https://www.harperporsche.com/used/P...8a474dedb7.htm
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:14 PM   #5942
SCA
Jaded

The CarFax for it https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...eYQwYSdBYk5-Dk

Edit: It sold in less than 12 hours so both links I have posted are now inactive.

Last edited by SCA; 04-06-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:21 PM   #5943
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
992 Carrera T Review: Why I'm Selling It After Only 3,000 Miles. - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyIy4uftgF8

I thought for a minute SCA might have started a YouTube channel
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:52 PM   #5944
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The CarFax for it https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...eYQwYSdBYk5-Dk

Edit: It sold in less than 12 hours so both links I have posted are now inactive.
Ha ha ha. I was sorely tempted to seek out that car in Orange County nearby. Just as well.

My comment for that powerplant (the DFI 9A1’s) is that I love the characteristics of that engine but maybe the even more is the 6 speed manual that Porsche maintained in the 997s. For subjective reasons I never warmed to the 7 speed MECOSA based manual in the 991s.

Dying to see how it has improved in the 992.

The 997.2 got the engine and the transmission right.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:01 PM   #5945
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Ha ha ha. I was sorely tempted to seek out that car in Orange County nearby. Just as well.

My comment for that powerplant (the DFI 9A1’s) is that I love the characteristics of that engine but maybe the even more is the 6 speed manual that Porsche maintained in the 997s. For subjective reasons I never warmed to the 7 speed MECOSA based manual in the 991s.

Dying to see how it has improved in the 992.

The 997.2 got the engine and the transmission right.
any timeline for your s delivery? Looking forward to pics of the interior (I've seen it on a few cars in person, but it's cool enough for more pictures)
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:17 AM   #5946
SCA
Jaded

Will (Rennthusiast) has been around for a while. I don’t take issue with him, but a lot of individuals on Rennlist seem too.

I saw Will’s YT video posted above moments after it went live. Will and I have chatted re the 992 T and 997.2s via messaging on Instagram. I mostly agree with what Will stated in his video pertaining to the 992 T. Fortunately I did not spec RAS (rear axle steering) or other known, heavy options that he spec’d like the 18 ways that he ended up disliking and the glass sunroof (75+ lbs). In a previous video he regretted not adding the rear seats as well. I spec’d them. I seem to recall his build was in the $155k range which is absurd for a T.

While it is not publicly known, I suspect his original intent was to experience the new Porsche ordering/purchasing process via a 992 allocation solely for YT content and then move on from it rather quickly without losing much to any money, which is exactly what he did. He is also friends with the sales manager at his selling Porsche dealer, so this was more than likely prearranged.

Prior to watching his video I was already on the fence about selling mine back to the dealer, but as of last weekend the other Shark Blue T in town was pre-traded for a 992.2 allocation. I have been told that it is not going to materialize for quite some time, but the owner’s son works for the local dealership group so I suspect some strings will be pulled once the .2 launches in the U.S. The former owner was also the founder and former owner of a well known local Euro Indy shop.

Local preowned 2023 Carrera T: https://www.harperporsche.com/certif...ada8f12088.htm

If one looks at the windows sticker (below) on the above, he gave just a little over $123k for it new. Obviously this was prior to the last significant Porsche price increase. The local dealership currently stands to profit nearly $27k. I do not believe they will get that and they will sit on it for a while before they come to the realization that they are going to be unable to pull it off. Of course this has been what a lot of Porsche dealers have been doing on all of their Porsche preowned inventory. The preowned 992 market is allegedly seeing a correction. Who knows…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7545.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	971.4 KB
ID:	17144  

Last edited by SCA; 04-11-2024 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added Additional Content
Old 04-11-2024, 10:34 AM   #5947
robg
Carmudgeon

Hmm - I think if his plan all along was to just get rid of it after a few months he’d have gone lighter on the options as you point out. Pretty risky to assume you’ll get your money back on options. I do wonder how much he was able to sell it for - good for him if he got out even!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:44 AM   #5948
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Hmm - I think if his plan all along was to just get rid of it after a few months he’d have gone lighter on the options as you point out. Pretty risky to assume you’ll get your money back on options. I do wonder how much he was able to sell it for - good for him if he got out even!

Just my thoughts on what I have personally witnessed RL, but a lot of guys simply cannot refrain from checking the boxes on a six figure car, even on a T which its main intent is to be lightweight and enthusiast driven. Many individuals seem to want luxury at that price. There is also quite a bit of dislike for the plastic dash and upper doors. Will blew $9,750 on 18 ways with the full leather T seats and then did not spec the rear seats which seems like a huge waste. He partially gave up what he was paying for by leaving out the rear seats. A rather large ordering mistake in my opinion.

If there was a buyback arrangement prior to him ordering, the dealer very well may have required him to spec some specific options. Truthfully I feel that was likely the case.

Without giving specifics Will has publicly stated that he recouped all of his money. He did a Montana LLC for this car so he did not pay North Carolina taxes at the time of registration. Therefore he lost zero tax money as well.

Edit: Off-topic, but my sales rep stated that the local individual that pre-traded his ‘23 Carrera T which he owned for one year and added nearly 3k miles got his money back at the original MSRP of $123,350.

Last edited by SCA; 04-11-2024 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:32 PM   #5949
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

Even if you get your money back assuming he is talking about the actual price he paid there is still a lot of tax and registration you are losing.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:35 PM   #5950
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Even if you get your money back assuming he is talking about the actual price he paid there is still a lot of tax and registration you are losing.
See SCA's Montana LLC bit. Likely some of it written off as a marketing expense for the car review business.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote