The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
JST asked about the knee into the wheel problem on the CTS-V. I don't have the issue, but I adjusted stuff of I could see what he was talking about.

I have to say - if that happened to me in my preferred driving position, there is no way I would have bought the car. It's really irritating. But the seats go up and down and backwards and forwards and the wheel tilts - it's not a problem for me, fortunately.
I don't know what you did (aside from inducing a rattle ), but I was paying specific attention to knee steering wheel issues. I had none and was thinking that JST must have crack withdraw fits every time that he shifts if he was having an issue. I wonder if there was an issue of some sort with the car that he drove on his extended test...would explain why he didn't notice it before.

I nearly hit the door lock button when you got out and closed the passenger door yesterday. I didn't do it, but I'm not sure if I made the right choice. I researched the OnStar issue Saturday night...just in case I might have needed to know.
Maybe.

I've actually driven 3 of them. The first one I don't remember any trouble with. The second one I noticed that my knee was rubbing, but it might have been possible to get used to. The third one was completely unacceptable. The difference between the second and the third was almost certainly the shoes I was wearing. Interestingly, I had a similar (though less pronounced) problem with the '04 G35 I drove, but they added a telescoping wheel to the 05 and the problem went away.

Incidentally, the other thing I noticed about the Cadillac was that my hair rubbed on the headliner in about the same way that it did with the M3. Kind of lame, given how big the car is overall.

Dunno. Perhaps I just have a fucked up driving position, or a weird lower leg proportion.
You know, I have commented before on the differences in head room between the different cars I test drove and explored. It was significant from car to car. I have no idea why, but when they got my car from another dealer, I made it very clear that the deal wasn't done until I sat in it. The knee against the steering wheel issue might be similar - maybe the cars had progressively higher seats. I am concerned about headroom for a helmet with the sun roof, but the girl wanted the sun roof and I got 400 hp.

Regardless, it's a moot point for you. I hope you love the hell out of your zhp at least until the lease is up.

And Clyde, you wouldn't have been hard to find. Yeah, it's black, it's headed east, and it's going triple digits.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #72
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
And Clyde, you wouldn't have been hard to find. Yeah, it's black, it's headed east, and it's going triple digits.
a-ha!

Yes, I would have gone east...but not until after driving 20 miles or so south.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #73
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Quote:
what are the OEM zhp tires?

(am guessing dunlops or conti's because there is a german linkage there)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-040

-or-

Michelin Pilot Sport
blech to both.

bridgestones are heavy and not communicative at the limits (had the re070s on the STi and an experience with s03s on the xiT).

the pilot sports were a fad. comparing to the PS2s to the PS1s you can see how michelin learned the error of their ways. those trendy v treads give up way too much dry grip and there are other CAD-assisted ways to design treads that can spit water out of the grooves with better dry grip.
I agree. I unfortunately got the RE040s on mine and Im hating them. Fortunately, I have 12K on them and they probably will only last another 8-10K more (treadwear of 140!! ). I will moving up to PS2s probably.
Mine have 16K and still look good. I hope the rears last me from April until November. The fronts look a bit better.

I'll definitely be going to M-PS2's.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #74
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Quote:
what are the OEM zhp tires?

(am guessing dunlops or conti's because there is a german linkage there)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-040

-or-

Michelin Pilot Sport
blech to both.

bridgestones are heavy and not communicative at the limits (had the re070s on the STi and an experience with s03s on the xiT).

the pilot sports were a fad. comparing to the PS2s to the PS1s you can see how michelin learned the error of their ways. those trendy v treads give up way too much dry grip and there are other CAD-assisted ways to design treads that can spit water out of the grooves with better dry grip.
I agree. I unfortunately got the RE040s on mine and Im hating them. Fortunately, I have 12K on them and they probably will only last another 8-10K more (treadwear of 140!! ). I will moving up to PS2s probably.
Mine have 16K and still look good. I hope the rears last me from April until November. The fronts look a bit better.

I'll definitely be going to M-PS2's.
i guarantee that you'll find them to be superior performance tires.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #75
ff

Quote:
That's really going out on a limb, for someone that's never driven on RE-040's.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #76
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Quote:
To be fair, I do like my RE040's. Then again, I had never had performance tires before my 330i. I do know they are far better than the OEM ZSP Contis, though.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #77
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Quote:
i know.

but i'm willing to stand behind my words with a clear and defined bet --all moober (goober) has to do is say "they stink" or "they're better" or "they're the same".

something easy like a coffee and a dunkin donut or something. i tried to email hack to get his email address to pay my debt on the bet but he's never gotten back to me. oh well.

$25 amazon certificate doesn't light his fire.

i could re-apply it to this bet. the problem is, mbr is already committed to not buying the re040s again........

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #78
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Quote:
i know.

but i'm willing to stand behind my words with a clear and defined bet --all moober (goober) has to do is say "they stink" or "they're better" or "they're the same".

something easy like a coffee and a dunkin donut or something. i tried to email hack to get his email address to pay my debt on the bet but he's never gotten back to me. oh well.

$25 amazon certificate doesn't light his fire.

i could re-apply it to this bet. the problem is, mbr is already committed to not buying the re040s again........
I will be test driving a Boxster S this summer. It will be shod with PS2's. That will give me a good idea.

The base Boxster I drove had PS2's but it was relatively cold (30's) and the 17" tires had lots of sidewall (similar to a 16" 3er tire), so it wasn;t a fair comparison to 18" RE 040's. The Boxster S has 18" wheels std (sidewall similar to 17" 3er tires) or optional 19" tires (with a sidewall similar to my RE 040's).

All that said, the 17" PS2's felt great despite all that.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #79
JST

Have we gotten old enough that we can be nostalgic about the cars we once owned?

A twitter conversation led me to find an ad on BaT from a couple of years ago for a really nice 2003 Imola red ZHP sedan. It turns out it was the very same car that a friend of mine owned in 2005, which led in a relatively straight line to me purchasing the car at the top of this (very old) thread. Implausibly, my friend's old car is once again for sale right now, and honestly it looks like it's been well cared for and had some very nice mods:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CarId=20b94e99

But, I wondered, what about my ZHP, the one TD and Mrs. TD and I drove when it had 6 miles on it? I dug up my old window sticker and sure enough, it's out there. Or at least, it was 3 years ago:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...iles&styleid=7

Pretty crazy to look at that pic and think it's the same car I brought my first kid home from the hospital in.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #80
FC
Solving problems

That was a great and beautiful car. Particularly in the early/mid ‘00’s and for the money. It was my first new car too. I really liked it.