carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-16-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Autarch
Realist

Project car idea scrapped... new buy instead

With the new job that I recently landed I will be working more hours than I am used to coupled with a longer commute than I normally have. Unfortunately this means that I won't have time to work on a project car (72 240Z) like I wanted to and will isntead buy a new car to replace my Lincoln LS V8 with. I was going to just keep the lincoln and work on something else on the side but now I have the extra capital to just purchase something new isntead.

I want something sporting. A manual transmission is necessary. Good handling is necessary. Good gas mileage is necessary (good is a relative term). A back seat is necessary even if it's just vestigial. I don't care about looks... I care about how it feels to drive. Sport is also more important than luxury but I like both. Price target is around $30k.

I have narrowed my choices so far down to:

Waiting for the new BMW 3 series (prob the best all around choice)
2005 GTO (the 400hp LS2 powered version. 400hp for $30k with civility?)
Mazda RX-8 (best handler of the group, good acceleration but not great gas mileage)

Any other suggestions along the same vein? I am currently leaning heavily towards a 3 series simply because I can get great fun out of it and they have such good resale value that I will have about 50% of my money still left in the car after 4-5 years and the new engines they are going to be putting in them are nothing short of spectacular.

While I mourn the ability to have a project car, a BMW or GTO should stave off the my desire to be working on a project for a while
Old 10-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
dan
redefined

Re: Project car idea scrapped... new buy instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarch
Good gas mileage is necessary (good is a relative term).

Mazda RX-8 (best handler of the group, good acceleration but not great gas mileage)
based on the reports I've read here and elsewhere, the RX-8 will be the most fun/sporting.

but based on needing "good gas mileage", it is disqualified.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
dan
redefined

also, I think the new 3-series will set you back a good bit more than $30,000

what about a new Mustang GT?
Old 10-16-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
Autarch
Realist

Well, I have a very heavy foot. My LS is technically rated at 25/26 MPG but in actuality I get 18mpg overall because I consistently drive high speeds (rpm's stick high up leading to poorer gas mileage than if I just stayed at 1800 rpm at 65mpg) and because I hate pulling away from a stoplight like a granny to save mileage... I am always in too much of a hurry for that.

In some ways the RX8 would suit that driving style because of the nature of rotary engines (they seem to be less gas efficient at lower RPM's and more efficient when they are really revving according to many I have spoken with).
Old 10-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Autarch
Realist

"what about a new Mustang GT?"

I was thinking about that also but I owned a 2000 Mustang and I am not so sure I want another. I love variety in my vehicles.

300hp for $25k is sorely tempting though. What makes me uneasy though is that the ride will probably be pretty harsh and the handling will probably be good but not quite good enough to make up for ride quality.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

I actually wonder if the more apt comparison ("not so sure I want another") wouldn't be with your current Lincoln. The car should be available for test drives pretty soon, so it shouldn't be difficult to find out.

The mileage situation for the RX-8 certainly isn't good, but how bad is bad enough to disqualify it?

Is the need for a vestigial back seat really a need? Does the car have to be new? A C5 Corvette gets better than decent mileage, is faster and quicker than any of the listed ones and handles very well. I wouldn't call the inside luxurious, but it's functional, if cheap looking/feeling. It's got gadgets and geegaws to play with (HUD, on board monitor/status displays/trip computers that make certain other manufacturers' on board computers look like jokes). And they go for well south of $30k (although a 2002+ Z06 could be fun for that much money).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
also, I think the new 3-series will set you back a good bit more than $30,000
What he said.

Not that I'd spring for it even if you could, though. With all that the 'mudgeons have observed about the DBW/numb steering/other negative charateristics in the current 3er, I somehow doubt the new E90 will be more satisfying to drive.

If you are serious about "feel" and "involvement" I can't see any on your list other than the RX-8 (look at JST's thread on this). Unfortunately, your gas mileage requirement makes it... somewhat less appealing.

Your new car requirement(s) is quite limiting. Are you sure you won't consider used? That would open up the list of contenders by quite a bit.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
JST

Re: Project car idea scrapped... new buy instead

Quote:
With the new job that I recently landed I will be working more hours than I am used to coupled with a longer commute than I normally have. Unfortunately this means that I won't have time to work on a project car (72 240Z) like I wanted to and will isntead buy a new car to replace my Lincoln LS V8 with. I was going to just keep the lincoln and work on something else on the side but now I have the extra capital to just purchase something new isntead.

I want something sporting. A manual transmission is necessary. Good handling is necessary. Good gas mileage is necessary (good is a relative term). A back seat is necessary even if it's just vestigial. I don't care about looks... I care about how it feels to drive. Sport is also more important than luxury but I like both. Price target is around $30k.

I have narrowed my choices so far down to:

Waiting for the new BMW 3 series (prob the best all around choice)
2005 GTO (the 400hp LS2 powered version. 400hp for $30k with civility?)

Any other suggestions along the same vein? I am currently leaning heavily towards a 3 series simply because I can get great fun out of it and they have such good resale value that I will have about 50% of my money still left in the car after 4-5 years and the new engines they are going to be putting in them are nothing short of spectacular.

While I mourn the ability to have a project car, a BMW or GTO should stave off the my desire to be working on a project for a while
My bet is that the 05 Mustang will be almost entirely unlike the 00. I would take a look at it.

The GTO is not very fun or involving to drive, though with 400 hp it should be plenty fast.

The RX-8 is worth a drive. Screw the mileage.

What about an STi or an Evo? Or an R32, for that matter?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
Autarch
Realist

"Your new car requirement(s) is quite limiting. Are you sure you won't consider used? That would open up the list of contenders by quite a bit. "

I would really prefer new but I will definately consider used. I think I would be an idiot not to.

To be honest the C5 corvette idea is one that has occurred to me very many times. My wife is into cars also and she has dreamed about owning a corvette since she was a teenager. The nice thing about that is that if I said "I am getting a 'Vette, but it's 5k more than XXX car" she would say yes without a moment's hesitation. It would certainly be a cost friendly choice as well because you can get used ones for a pretty decent price.

"The mileage situation for the RX-8 certainly isn't good, but how bad is bad enough to disqualify it? "

I have seen many reports of it averaging 14mpg overall with people being lucky to get 19 on the highway. I could buy a full sized truck and get better mileage.

"Not that I'd spring for it even if you could, though. With all that the 'mudgeons have observed about the DBW/numb steering/other negative charateristics in the current 3er, I somehow doubt the new E90 will be more satisfying to drive."

That's dissapointing to say the very least. I do know that the current generation is considered by many to be below the previous generation (E36, wasn't it?) in terms of feel and fun but I was hoping that they would come up with something that brought back the "Ultimate Driving Machine" feel that they at one point had. I guess I will have to drive one and see.

"What about an STi or an Evo? Or an R32, for that matter?"

I am not interested in any of the above, really. I just don't like high boost 4 cylinder engines and I must admit to be prejudiced against VW's for their reliability these days.

In terms of the GTO not being fun or involving though have you driven it much? I haven't driven one yet. What car would you all compare it to in terms of feel?

By the way... the car is for a 34 miles each way commute to downtown Dallas from where I live in Ft. Worth. It has to be something civil that I won't hate after a long drive.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:37 AM   #10
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
I do know that the current generation is considered by many to be below the previous generation (E36, wasn't it?) in terms of feel and fun

Who wants to take this one? :undwech:

If you can live with a 2-seater, I'd also suggest a new S2000 - unless your commute is stop-and-go hell.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote