carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #801
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Thanks. It will definitely be more than $13k...

Picked up a rental car today (was traveling last week, so didn’t need one until now...). Ford Fusion Hybrid. It doesn’t compensate...
Old 10-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #802
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
My JGC damage went from $5k to an even $10k. And that was a minor scrape-up. I hope you have a good shop (or in this case Tesla themselves) to stand up to the insurance company that's going to want to get this done on the cheap (naturally as it's a business).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #803
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
There is only 1 Tesla-approved body shop here, and that is where it is at... Tesla is opening their own body shops, but those are east/west coast only for now...

I do have a good insurance company, and this is a claim against the other party...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #804
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The fake leather doesn't bother me. It's as nice or nice (and breathes as well as) the real leather that was in my '14 Model S (though the later ones were nicer). It's a little weird feeling--not quite like neoprene but not quite like leather, either. But it doesn't feel like the tough-as-nails vinyl that BMW used/uses. The material on the steering wheel is particularly good--I wouldn't know that it's not leather unless you told me.

I'm slightly bugged by the fact that the roof doesn't open. It would be really, really nice if it did.

I don't really need a HUD, though the other thing I miss from my Model S is the secondary nav screen in front of the steering wheel.

Surround cameras are something that may well come in an OTA update. The hardware is there.

That’s good that you find it breathable. I once returned a rental Passat after 1 day because I couldn’t stand the leatherettte (and it was perforated for breathability). I don’t care as much about whether the feel and durability are better/worse than typical automotive leather. Hoping that they are able to solve whatever issue they had with Alcantara supply and use that for the seats and headliner (atleast in some versions).

Not sure if surround camera would be possible with the current camera setup since the front camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror and the side cams point rearward .

But yeah, for the most part I think the model 3 is still compelling. Unlike with bmw, however, I wouldn’t feel as compelled to get the top model because the lesser ones are still good. Witty bmw, you are essentially paying more money to “fix” the issues as you move up
-320-> 330 gives you acceptable performance
-330->340 gives you a refined engine
-340->m3 gives you decent steering and suspension.

And I’d much rather get a model 3 than a similarly priced car with a 4 cyl turbo.

Last edited by robg; 10-09-2018 at 11:46 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #805
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Witty bmw, you are essentially paying more money to “fix” the issues as you move up
-320-> 330 gives you acceptable performance
-330->340 gives you a refined engine
-340->m3 gives you decent steering and suspension.
I love this summary. I'd likely be at the 340 level if I could accept the steering, but that's without driving them. And with a 2-seater next to it... Yeah, bmw is the new lexus.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #806
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm getting closer to wanting an electric car as my "do everything day to day" ride but the Model 3 is a non-starter for me for a bunch of reasons... Styling, the interior ergonomics / layout, and Tesla's general business model. I have been disconnected from the new car world for a while but I guess I need to start paying attention to see when one of the established manufacturers is going to come out with an offering comparable to the model 3.

My genuine worry is that relatively few manufacturers will have any interest in a smallish, RWD sporty electric sedan. I have zero interest in an electric CUV/SUV and zero interest in a FWD econo-hatch (Chevy Bolt/Spark)

Last edited by John V; 10-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #807
equ
Alphanumeric

I think the next few years will bring some changes. Model 3 covers what most of us want, a compact, rwd (or rear based awd), fun-to-drive (zbb, matt & jst can't all be wrong) sedan. If it succeeds, they'll keep making it. I guess the subsidy will go away but oh well... Competitors will also come, though with some delay.

If Tesla goes bankrupt, 10% chance over the next year?, some large player will be coming to pick up the pieces. So it will still continue in some form or another.

There's definitely genius in Mr. Musk (despite his mocking where I work). He proved to the world and the large makers that something is possible and achievable. He's also mentally ill, but that's not the point of this post (though it does play into the 10% downside).
Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #808
John V
No more BMWs

I think I could deal with the weirdness of the 3 (touch screen interface for everything in the car is monumentally stupid) if their business model was such that the owners could maintain and repair their vehicles. As it is my understanding is that you're effectively married to having their service centers work on the cars. That's a non-starter for me.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #809
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
As it is my understanding is that you're effectively married to having their service centers work on the cars. That's a non-starter for me.
Isn't that going to be true of most new-age electric cars.

Judging by all the other criteria you laid out, might you test an I3?

I hear the range extender version is going away, for some reason. Not sure I would buy this car, but I might lease one.

Edit: The I8 Roadster is pretty stunning...with a stunning price to go with it...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #810
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Isn't that going to be true of most new-age electric cars.
Why would it be? You might be right, but I attribute this shift to Tesla, not to electric cars inherently.

Quote:
Judging by all the other criteria you laid out, might you test an I3?
Ick. no. I said sporty sedan. Not "tippy nerd shoe."