carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #81
SCA
Jaded

For the haters... It finally arrived from Japan! It's not a Telsa or a VW product, but from our previously ownership it works well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4R.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	9485  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #82
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Wait... There are cars from Japan?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #83
SCA
Jaded

Fixed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Wait... There are SUVs from Japan?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #84
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Zombie thread revival...

I find myself thinking of 4runner's. It was a circuitous route. Started with older Range Rover full-sized, then considered Land Cruisers, but realized both of those are too big.

How did I get to Toyota's? Due to various orthopaedic and podiatric recoveries, weather and plain laziness, I've been taking a short Uber or Lyft ride every evening for maybe a hundred days in a row. How older Toyota's are screwed together and hold up over and above other cars became quite clear to me. Land Rover & Range Rover's drive very well for their size, but I just have no money for new and no time or money for more maintenance of the old.

Thought of the GX460, drove two (from the 2011 to 2013 generation) before the uglification. The logic there was that, the GX has a Lexus interior, a v8, HID's (and a torsen center) over the 4runner at around the same used price. So why not?

Well, there is a reason for the resale. It just doesn't come together visually. The v8 feels slow anyway. The car is slow-witted, soft and tall handling with soft brakes. The barn door tailgate is a strange negative. Once I thought of the whole design as 'grafted on' the 4runner (as in raised ceiling and heavier), I can't get over the mutant aspect, despite the better spec.

I plan to check out a pre-owned 5th generation 4runner (current) and possibly a 4th generation (if I can find a one for a fair price). Their resale is amazing and so is their reputation. The VIN's start with JT, just as the Land Cruiser, they are built in Japan. I've been reading about and giving some thought to the trim differences. I don't like the 20" wheels, but I think I'll be "limited" to the Limited. That's the only one that has a Center torsen diff. Apparently 2009 and before it was more available, but 2010+, the other models are 2wd or locked 4wd. My use case is almost never rocks/boulders, but often snowy highway. I would like an AWD system, ideally with a slight rear bias. The bonus of the 4runner limited is that the center is lockable and has higher clearance than the audis, subarus and xdrives that I'm used to. The trail 4runner has a rear locking diff, but I'm not sure how 4wd (4hi) drives on a snowy highway. I have no experience with that, but I'm guessing it'll make me miss audis and subarus badly. This is why I cannot consider Wranglers or Tacoma's. None of them have a torsen or other viscous center diff.

I have never driven a 4runner - of any generation. Hopefully some test drives this week. And hopefully it will not flop like the Lexus GX and something will feel together about it.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #85
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
You're making me want a Forerunner!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #86
equ
Alphanumeric

We also have (now) a 100lb dog. With a few pounds more to go...
Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #87
equ
Alphanumeric

If you read the thread back, ff and SCA have only positive things to say about them. I'd be happy if they chimed in again.

Toyota SUV's almost always have the nice 2" hitch, unlike most German SUV's, where about 10% of Cayennes seem to have it. I need that for cycling.

Towing? Sure it's a nice to have, but more important to me is compact footprint. The 4runner is 2" shorter than an e60 and has about 70" of space with the back row folded (the 3rd row is avoidable - whereas GX always has it). That's what fits in my driveway and the tight dead-end street that I live on.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #88
rumatt
Mugwump

The Limited Forerunner has a torsen center diff that is also lockable? Wow.

Do you know how well it distributes power side to side? If front and rear are fully open diffs that's still weak sauce.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #89
equ
Alphanumeric

Open front and rear. No Toyota has locking front (I guess you could mod if you are so inclined). FC has a locked rear on his LR4, e.g,, but I doubt he has needed it much. The good thing with Toyota is that there is some aftermarket close to OEM and it seems possible to add a lockable rear through ARB or some such thing.

To get locking rear and stay stock, in the current line-up, you have to give up the center diff and go to 2wd/locked-4wd optionality. Maybe driving a locked 4wd on the highway (4hi or H4) is not so bad in mixed conditions, I'm not sure. Say changing lanes across slush accumulations at 50mph, something a rwd car with snow tires may have some issues with but a subaru or audi powers through. Or slick turns. I worry a locked center will be odd to drive (compared to what I'm used to).
Old 12-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #90
rumatt
Mugwump

Oh yeah I wouldn't necessarily want a locking front / rear, but some kind of electronic braking at least.