carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My LR4 is a late MY2013 (built in Aug and took delivery in late September). I got among one of the last of the Jag 5.0L V8's, which are the most desirable. The LR4 with that engine was made from 2010 thru 2013. Those are considered very reliable cars. There really aren't many issues with them other than the water pump, which is a PITA to get to and the job can run several hundred dollars. Lower control arm bushings can go "early" (60-80k?) but that's mileage related issue. They are considered such a PITA to replace, people often buy a whole new LCA assy. Besides that, as long as you stay away from the multi-camera system, they are pretty good. The screen is laggy and the Nav sucks, and this is much worse on pre 2012 models.

The LR4 does consume tires and brakes (OE contis blow, btw). Consider yourself lucky if pads last you 20-25k miles. Rotors tend to last 2 sets of pads.

My SUV has 26k miles of 80% around town driving. Still drives like new and I love it. So far, only issues I've had have been:

- Squeaking driver's mirror on open/close.
- driver's seat track. power seat stopped moving front/back
- burnt out head lamp.

That's it. All covered under warranty - which expires this September. The frame has more surface rust than I would like to see, but the body and paint are immaculate. Also, as you know, I get 13 city 18-19 hwy on premium, so range is not awesome 280-350 miles. But man, is it silky smooth.

Oh, accessories and dealer work prices are LOL high.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a camry, but the V8 vintage LR4 is probably no worse than any other German car. The fact that it is nice and not a nightmare is reflected on it's surprisingly high resale. If you have a locking rear diff (as I do), those models are worth that much more.

EDIT: on tires, OE contis are mediocre in general, but they are awful in the winter. They are ok around town and on the highway. They are on their last season before they get replaced. I put on some Nokian hakkas SUV and my goodness, this thing drives on snow as if it had tracks. 1' of slushy snow on a hill? Traction control doesn't even come on. It just flattens things and moves along.

Last edited by FC; 05-15-2017 at 11:27 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote