carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #191
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
From JV's description, it sounds like "keyless entry" isn't really keyless entry. It's more like "you don't need to stick your key in the door to open it, but you have to press a button on it instead" entry. Like the old school separate key and fob combos GM used in the 90s. And my wife's RAV4 uses today.
That's what my 987 has, along with an actual physical ignition key--and yes, I agree that this is what used to be called "keyless entry" (though Ford also used that term for its weird buttons-on-the-door thing).

Car unlocks-with-fob or keyhead buttons is nice, but car unlocks when you touch the door handle is even nicer.

And yes, the key buttons on the 9X7 generation Porsches were not the best, though you can buy refresh kits from Suncoast for $50, IIRC.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #192
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's what my 987 has, along with an actual physical ignition key--and yes, I agree that this is what used to be called "keyless entry" (though Ford also used that term for its weird buttons-on-the-door thing).

Car unlocks-with-fob or keyhead buttons is nice, but car unlocks when you touch the door handle is even nicer.

And yes, the key buttons on the 9X7 generation Porsches were not the best, though you can buy refresh kits from Suncoast for $50, IIRC.
True- that is the traditional meaning of keyless entry. I think the feature where you can open the doors just by touching the handle is generically referred to as "passive entry". I confused the 2 when I read JVs comment. Shouldn't have to even think about it in 2021 on a 100k Porsche though
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #193
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
From JV's description, it sounds like "keyless entry" isn't really keyless entry.
Yeah he had me confused when he said it was standard … keyless entry to me is the key stays in your pocket at all times.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #194
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
It seems like Porsche Entry and Drive function has already been beaten to death, but just for clarity:
The key never comes out of your pocket. The door handles have sensors to touch for lock/unlock.
The front has a sensor to wave your hand over and it pops open. I assume the rear trunk on the boxster has one as well
The 'fake key' is always in the receptacle. It is simply a rotary version of a push button start.

Without Porsche Entry and Drive, you get a key fob with buttons to unlock/lock the car and pop the frunk/trunk. The fob goes in the receptacle and turned for starting.

PDLS+ LEDs are extremely bright, but without the Euro localized dimming feature they aren't that much better than the Xenons.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #195
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The front has a sensor to wave your hand over and it pops open. I assume the rear trunk on the boxster has one as well.
I'm not sure about that. Per the configurator:

"Porsche Entry and Drive includes: Front and rear trunk are opened via the key buttons or interior switches"
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #196
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm not sure about that. Per the configurator:

"Porsche Entry and Drive includes: Front and rear trunk are opened via the key buttons or interior switches"
That's a bummer. The way I described it is how it works on my car.

based on this thread, it looks like the 718 does indeed have frunk and trunk sensors for keyless opening (with a lot of owner bitching about the functionality):

https://www.718forum.com/threads/ent...g-frunk.17850/

you can see how it works in the owners manual vids here:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...tion/imanuals/
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #197
John V
No more BMWs

Post 3: "Entry and drive is an option that my car has and I hate it"

Post 4: "I have entry and drive and if I have the key in my pocket and walk past the rear of the car the rear hatch pops open. I close it and it pops open again because I'm standing there."

Also: "I think the sweet spot is a pretty limited area. Waving my hand as is suggested never works well for me, so for both the frunk and hatch, I just kind of waggle my hand centered and close to the car's body."

I thought I had been swayed to add this option, but now I'm back to thinking it's money spent on nothing useful.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #198
robg
Carmudgeon

Cayman GTS 4.0

Surprisingly, the kick to open feature on our RRS works really well. The sensors are actually on the rear sides of the bumper which makes it much easier to find the right place to wave your foot. Plus you don’t have to jump back from the opening tailgate. I can actually count on and reliably use this feature because of this whereas in our old x3 it was 50/50. Not sure why this design hasn’t been used by others.

I also find it funny that a thread on one of the best drivers cars out there has turned into an analysis of passive/keyless entry systems. Gotta love the internet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #199
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I also find it funny that a thread on one of the best drivers cars out there has turned into an analysis of passive/keyless entry systems. Gotta love the internet!
I also find it amusing that it's a feature that is so important to so many people.

I'm just glad the car is still available with a manual transmission and seats that move fore-and-aft with (gasp) A LEVER
Old 10-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #200
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We haven't even begun to talk about the cupholders.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote