carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I'd throw in a pre-owned 1 series convertible as closer to the spirit of the Miata than some of those others ... not "cheap" per se, but good value - particularly if you find a basic 128 with a stick.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I dig the BRZ, but if I'm going to drive something that is that underpowered, the top had better go down, which means I'd pick an MX-5 if I had to choose between only those two cars.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
dan
redefined

no MINI on the list?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I still like my FR-S, but it's been relegated to basically autocross-only. I always end up taking my old CRV or the gf's Civic everywhere because I do mostly city driving and the roads are terrible, stop-and-go, dog-hauling, etc.

I don't plan on selling the FR-S anytime soon, but I am very curious to see what the finished product for the IDx turns out to be. I really liked the looks of the Kia Stinger too. If only Honda would jump into the fray with a RWD affordable coupe...

I think a 128i with a diff and a few other mods would be a really fun car, but so would a 135i. I think they look okay enough to consider.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Funny - was recently going through this exercise in my head last night. Comments here echo my sentiments. The brz seems like the best on paper but I'd probably sacrifice a little handling and lightness for a nicer interior and a little more usability and get a used 128 or 135. Then again there's something very appealing to me about the GTI even thogh it's fwd, not as fast, not as fun.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
After almost 5? 6? Years with the NC, I have to say I find it to be incredibly enjoyable. I hate the stock springs but the car is extremely well built and the engine is well designed.

I wouldn't see this car being displaced but for a pre-owned 981 or 991.

There are very few cars built this lightweight but also retaining structural integrity. For example, my R56 would be in pieces by now. And until Subaru moves to twin scroll turbocharging, the softness off the line makes those cars up appealing to me.
I'm not fond of the spring / shocks in the NC either. Especially considering I have the "suspension package" with the Bilsteins. I looked for a Miata with that package mostly to get the limited slip diff. The stock handling is . . . mostly great for me. I like it a lot better than our ZHP and enjoy how nimble and playful the car is. Though in sweepers the car can get a bit wallowy. I'm figuring at about 100k (or when the shocks are shot) I'll do a mild upgrade to the suspension. Probably toss on a set of used RX-8 swaybars for ~$100 and upgrade the shocks / springs though I don't want to lower the car.

The issue for me is that while the NC has been derided for its 4x4-like ride height (or wheel / fender gap) I'm not sure I want to lower the car. After 2 years it doesn't look that bad to me anymore and for my area I'm digg'n having enough ground clearance and approach angle that I don't have to worry about curb cuts and speed bumps. . . . but I'd just like to tighten the suspension a tad bit. I'll look into it in another 20k miles or so and see what's available.

The BMW 1 series looks great but, eh, even if it was affordable used I don't think I'd want to get another BMW. Been there, somewhat scared to do that again. And our BMW experience I don't think was horrible. It's just, I dunno. . . not something I want to do again until we can more comfortably afford it.

As far as the MINI. . . . They look like they'd be a pretty fun car to drive, particularly the R56 S's. But . . . they're another BMW product and I don't want to go there again.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
no MINI on the list?
it's neither cheap nor sporty?

once you escalate to the S or JCW models, then they're sporty, but they're not cheap.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
dan
redefined

all of the cars listed are between $23000 and $26000 or thereabouts. Same as an MCS.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5

It is a shame that this seems scrapped.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

It is a shame that this seems scrapped.
I am happy they scrapped it assuming they allocating their resources to making more power
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote