carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Tacomas, Jeeps etc...

Whoa!

I have a woody for this thing on craigslist:

Talk me out of it. Is this (2005, v6, TRD) the rust-prone Tacoma generation? What would be the alternative?

Why I want a truck/suv is another matter. A few years ago, the X5 diesel was a complete debacle.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Used prices are crazy expensive

Last edited by Jeff_DML; 03-21-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

They are. This guy wants $17k for a 2005 with 103k. It does seem like a well-kept, slightly upgraded truck.

I'm open to non-Toyota. But I would really like reliable, 6-speed manual, 6-cylinder, 4wd. I think a bed will be more useful than an SUV for me. Double cab would be great.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
They are. This guy wants $17k for a 2005 with 103k. It does seem like a well-kept, slightly upgraded truck.

I'm open to non-Toyota. But I would really like reliable, 6-speed manual, 6-cylinder, 4wd. I think a bed will be more useful than an SUV for me. Double cab would be great.
That's a crazy amount of money, though perhaps that is just where the market is. I guess with new Colorados bumping past 40K, it's not as crazy as it seems.

What are you looking to do with this truck? Would a Jeep be a better fit? Or a grey market Gelandewagen? Because I really want one of those.

Also: TRD. Heh.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Well, the house I bought is quite old. We have done numerous home depot runs with the golf straining to carry items back. Of course, I can rent, but that adds to the hassle.

We also have 40ft of frontage on two streets that I need cleared of snow. I am done with manual shoveling after this last heavy ice. I would like to have one snow blower, not two. The problem is that you cannot "walk" a snow blower from one side of the house to the other. We are perched on a cliff, there is a 60-65ft elevation difference with many stairs. So to avoid having two, I'll need to drive the blower from one side to another - in a 4wd vehicle, ideally with a bed. I have a shed (non-powered) on one side, so storage of the blower is not a problem.

I guess it's fantasy. The other creeping feeling is that with the boxster in the house the e46 m3 nears the chopping block. I feel like I'm only keeping it because people keep asking to buy it for the rarity and the condition: laguna seca blue, manual, coupe, 41k miles, on its way to be a sorta classic.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Well, the house I bought is quite old. We have done numerous home depot runs with the golf straining to carry items back. Of course, I can rent, but that adds to the hassle.

We also have 40ft of frontage on two streets that I need cleared of snow. I am done with manual shoveling after this last heavy ice. I would like to have one snow blower, not two. The problem is that you cannot "walk" a snow blower from one side of the house to the other. We are perched on a cliff, there is a 60-65ft elevation difference with many stairs. So to avoid having two, I'll need to drive the blower from one side to another - in a 4wd vehicle, ideally with a bed. I have a shed (non-powered) on one side, so storage of the blower is not a problem.

I guess it's fantasy. The other creeping feeling is that with the boxster in the house the e46 m3 nears the chopping block. I feel like I'm only keeping it because people keep asking to buy it for the rarity and the condition: laguna seca blue, manual, coupe, 41k miles, on its way to be a sorta classic.
That all makes sense, though for moving a snowblower I wonder whether you'd be better served with a really light-duty utility trailer that you could just prop up behind the shed--getting ramps and muscling that thing up into a pickup bed might be more trouble than just shoveling the snow.

If you went that route, you could get a Jeep, which might be more useful day-to-day for carrying passengers and commuting.

That said, I think if you didn't like the X5, anything like this is going to drive you batshit. The good news is that a used Taco probably won't depreciate too much in the 6 months you end up owning it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
The (strange) manual transmission request is going to severely limit you. Do you want a truck or a sports car?

Anyway, I'd get a bigger truck unless you are planning on commuting with it into some tight parking garage or something. I get the desire for Toyota reliability, but those trucks are pretty miserable IMO. No power, weird low seat, and just general Toyota malaise.

Also: +1 on the TRD haha

Edit:
and +1 on muscling the snowblower into the bed is going to be annoying. I'm also not clear on how a truck can get from one side to the other, but a snow blower alone can't - why not walk the snow blower along the road?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
The (strange) manual transmission request is going to severely limit you. Do you want a truck or a sports car?

Anyway, I'd get a bigger truck unless you are planning on commuting with it into some tight parking garage or something. I get the desire for Toyota reliability, but those trucks are pretty miserable IMO. No power, weird low seat, and just general Toyota malaise.

Also: +1 on the TRD haha

Edit:
and +1 on muscling the snowblower into the bed is going to be annoying. I'm also not clear on how a truck can get from one side to the other, but a snow blower alone can't - why not walk the snow blower along the road?

TURBOOOO

https://www.carmax.com/car/14028968

Nevermind--it's 2wd. Could probably do some sick burnouts, though.

This is more like it:

https://www.carmax.com/car/14097001

WAIT NO THIS ONE:

https://www.carmax.com/car/14055266
Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
F150
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I have to assume that you can get a lot of f150 for ~$20k.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Doubt you can go wrong with anything Ford, Chevy, Dodge in this genus. And if you have a house, of course you need a truck.

It will also come in handy for the weekend house in New Paltz.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote