carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #31
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
Habitually f'ing with the police. Genious.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #32
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Let's say, just for example, one of you guys gets stopped for speeding.

You know what the speed limit is, yet you ignore it.

It's not the first time you've been stopped, perhaps not even the first time in a particular neighborhood.

What would be appropriate behavior from a police officer?

Should he write you a ticket - or should he pull you from the car and beat the shit out of you while he vents angrily over your presumed poor upbringing?

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #33
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
If I continued to drive away from him, and then lipped off once I was stopped, I'd expect bad things... because by my actions, I'd earned them.

Here's another hypothetical. Kid travels to fabulous Arbutus where there's plenty of concrete, and no skating signs, and locals who have a rep' for not liking outsiders. When told to get lost, Kid lips off to local and then threatens to call his mom. His phone, money, anything else worth taking, along with a large chunk of relative health are gonna be bye bye.

If the kid was worth touching at all, he was worth arresting. I think that was the mistake.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #34
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Let's say, just for example, one of you guys gets stopped for speeding.

You know what the speed limit is, yet you ignore it.

It's not the first time you've been stopped, perhaps not even the first time in a particular neighborhood.

What would be appropriate behavior from a police officer?

Should he write you a ticket - or should he pull you from the car and beat the shit out of you while he vents angrily over your presumed poor upbringing?

Ed
wait Ed,

first you have to ignore the police officer when he is telling you to stop (or pull over, I think they call it "fleeing and eluding") Then you have to repeatedly disrespect his authority by calling him "dude"

Then, yeah, I think you are going to be in big trouble
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #35
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Also, from what I heard on TV, this officer has (had) a spottless record in his 11(?) years of service.

It's not like he was already some kind of phyco cop.

I think the camera was turned on too late. We really don't know what happened first
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #36
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
wait Ed,

first you have to ignore the police officer when he is telling you to stop (or pull over, I think they call it "fleeing and eluding") Then you have to repeatedly disrespect his authority by calling him "dude"

Then, yeah, I think you are going to be in big trouble
So then it's not at all about the repeatedly breaking the law part (skateboarding where it says not to, speeding where it says not to) - it's all about a 14 year old kid who doesn't respond the way this officer wanted him to.

My guess is this officer had just about had enough of the skateboarding culture - its vernacular, its dress, its skinny kids in baggy clothes.

He'd had it and unfortunately for him, there was a video camera to record it.

Ed
Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #37
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
OMG, *disrespect his authority*? What are we? In the middle ages or in some police state-istan?

I'm waiting for the US to wake up from its quasi-fascistic tendencies and become the paragon of freedom that it *theoretically* is.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #38
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
...should he pull you from the car and beat the shit out of you while he vents angrily over your presumed poor upbringing?
Being pushed to the ground while resisting an officer is hardly "beating the shit out of you."
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #39
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Being pushed to the ground while resisting an officer is hardly "beating the shit out of you."
The officer's response was inappropriate and potentially dangerous - these were just dumb kids. As I stated earlier, I think he'd reached his boiling point with this situation being merely a catalyst.

He needs anger-management and Zoloft - for his own long-term health.

Ed

Last edited by Sharp11; 02-14-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #40
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
OMG, *disrespect his authority*? What are we? In the middle ages or in some police state-istan?

I'm waiting for the US to wake up from its quasi-fascistic tendencies and become the paragon of freedom that it *theoretically* is.

I'm in no way defending the kids. By all accounts they're little shits. However, I expect a certain decorum and self control from people and especially from authority. There are numerous ways the officer could have handled the situation with more class and self-respect and done his job. I've run into too many LEO's that act like asshat's and think that everyone should lick their boots. Why? Because their LEO's and obviously way smarter/better/more important than you. Is that really what we need from our police officers? Do we really need to send the message that they have the right to blow up and treat people like shit? That they have the right to go off half-cocked if they don't feel they are being respected? Should we be forced to bow and kiss they're badge when in their presence for fear of angering them?

If you want me to "respect" the badge, then earn it. Act like an adult and do your job with class and humility.