carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
M3 or (and?) GTS 4.0

I debated posting this, but I've posted waffle threads on less consequential decisions, so here it goes...

First, a quick reminder that the M3 was bought after waffling between it and a GTI (we now own both), and was bought as a car I could pamper while commuting 4 miles to work. It's also worth noting that at the time I was still driving my kids to/from school.

Even then I struggled with the M3 vs Boxster decision. In part because I knew the "need" for a great sedan would be short-lived. My kids would walk to school in a couple of years, as they do now. I no longer need to drop them off on the way to work. But newer non-turbo Boxsters, be it a new Spyder or nearly new '15 GTS, were way too much money for a toy at the time and there was no end-of-life urgency. I also already had a Miata. So I went for a new M3 due to, much like today, a fear of "now or never" for a MT M3, wanting a great family trip, and wanting to put more money towards a daily driver car than the toy car. No regrets about that decision.

But circumstances have changed. Two jobs later, I now have a 23 mile drive consisting of 95% highway, and the money for a Boxster is not as big a consideration as it was. Then there is the "now or never" element to the Boxster. I wasn't about to commute with the M3, LR4, or Miata everyday year round, and with my wife WFH 100% now (and at least half the time in the future), it made sense to swap the Miata for the GTI. No regrets there either. It's a fabulous commuter. But the M3 is now effectively the toy car.

I've looked at it from two perspectives:

1) Applying the logic of "starting from scratch, what would your fleet look like?"

In this case, I would probably get the LR4 as family car and and the GTI as a commuter/swiss army car. In fact, that is all we actually need. As a fun third car, the Boxster would be great. The only unmet role is the niche one of "fancy+nice+quick family car," which logically is a ridiculous reason to keep an M3. That would also imply the right move is to replace the M3 with a Boxster.

2) What if I had been able to see the future before buying the M3?

Easy. I would have bought the GTI without much debate, saved my pennies and eventually upgraded the Miata to a Boxster. This also suggests I should swap the M3 for a Boxster.

But reality is that I already own the M3. Is a Boxster that much better than an M3 as a fun car? What if I complement the M3 with an ND?

I really like the M3. It's a great car, it's fairly practical, and I (and the whole family) is attached to it. I'd be fine keeping it, but it's not the right fit. Commuting in it, it piles on miles that are not all that fun (though there good moments) and it's a nice break from driving the GTI everyday, but that's a weak use case. If not used for commuting, it would be used sparingly when not used as a toy car. Our new GTI or the mint-condition LR4 can take the family places in comfort.

Normally I would say that the M3 being only 3 years old will take too big a depreciation hit and coupled with the attachment to the M3, I would just hang on to it and get the Boxster later. Except of course, there won't be a later. Also, the crazy market conditions may allow me to get an abnormally high amount of money for my M3 (we'd need to see about that).

The other part is that IF I do pull the trigger on a Boxster AND decide to keep a 4th car, I am not sure the M3 should be it long term. It just makes sense to get a decent EV if we are going to have that many cars, even if it's down the road. And there's certainly plenty of time for that purchase. But buying a GTS AND keeping the M3 doesn't make sense financially and my wife would object to that one for many valid reasons. She already doesn't drive the M3 and likely would not touch the Boxster, so two very expensive cars would be for my use only.

I guess right now I am nervous about a) selling a special car like the M3 and regretting it later and b) buying an expensive car like a GTS 4.0, and the idea of both has me pretty unsettled. I know I'll never selling the M3 except to get a car I deem very special.

Right now I see three options:

A) Sell M3 and order GTS 4.0
B) Keep M3 and buy ND, or overpriced used Boxster, or other fun toy car as a 4th car.
C) Keep M3 and add GTS. This is a dumb move now, but what if things change and I find myself wishing I had kept it? Again, if I need a sedan, I could get an EV a that point. Also 4 cars is a tough psychological line for my wife and logistics become more of a PITA.

It also just so happens that the M3 is worth (~60k?) enough that it plus what I had earmarked for a Boxster originally (~50k) add up to a new GTS. I have a minor fear about selling the M3 and despite assurances, somehow ending up without a GTS due to supply or other nonsense.

You guys have lived all of the FC car drama over too many years, so you know me well. What are your thoughts?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Do you still have the older Miata?

Seems like you have an attachment to the m3 but to me F80 M3 is not that special so I wouldn't mind selling it. I don't regret selling my E90 M3(but do the e36). Then take your time getting a Porsche since you have other cars in your fleet to use.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Do you still have the older Miata?

Seems like you have an attachment to the m3 but to me F80 M3 is not that special so I wouldn't mind selling it. I don't regret selling my E90 M3(but do the e36). Then take your time getting a Porsche since you have other cars in your fleet to use.
Nope. The Miata is gone. It was replaced by the GTI since I needed a good commuter and my wife also wanted a smaller, handier car to use than the LR4.

Yes. Logic says I should sell the M3. The asking prices I see in autotrader for F80s are insane.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I would sell the F80 and then wait for chip/shipping logistics and a potential recession to make the car buyer market more reasonable.

I know. I don’t take my own advice. But it’s what I am trying to do and hope it makes sense for you too.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I would sell the F80 and then wait for chip/shipping logistics and a potential recession to make the car buyer market more reasonable.

I know. I don’t take my own advice. But it’s what I am trying to do and hope it makes sense for you too.
+1

It couldn't hurt to put an order in for a GTS... it's so far out that you'd have plenty of time to re-consider, change or cancel it. Might be fun to have that to obsess over, etc.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+1

It couldn't hurt to put an order in for a GTS... it's so far out that you'd have plenty of time to re-consider, change or cancel it. Might be fun to have that to obsess over, etc.
Yep. Agree.

A new Boxster has been on your mind for a very long time. The M3 seems like it was more of a practical compromise for not getting the Boxster...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I was thinking the Miata is a pretty perfect year-round daily driver. I've contemplated a cheap NC if I don't fix the rust on the Mazdaspeed and it returns to the earth. I guess I forgot you ditched it for a GTI.

It seems insane to even consider keeping the M3 if you want a GTS. Even the taxes on a GTS are giving me anxiety. But I don't see the appeal of the current M3, so I am not the right person to weigh in on whether it makes sense for you to keep it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+1

I'm thinking I will probably do that.

I figured consensus would be to sell the M3. I mean, I could sell it tomorrow and we'd be fine with the two cars indefinitely. Might as well cash in on the crazy resale.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I was thinking the Miata is a pretty perfect year-round daily driver.
I did that for several months. Didn't work. Too loud, too small, and too unsafe. Not particularly fuel efficient either. Also, it had tech from the 90's.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm thinking I will probably do that.

I figured consensus would be to sell the M3. I mean, I could sell it tomorrow and we'd be fine with the two cars indefinitely. Might as well cash in on the crazy resale.
I like my M3 a lot. It's...a weird car that taps into my hooliganism. Doesn't hurt that it's red/orange. And it's nice because I can use it to pick up kids + their friends, while still not driving a rolling penalty box.

That said, it's nowhere near as fun to drive as the 987. Not even close. I imagine a GTS will be even better. So, in your case, given that you've already got two other four doors, selling the M3 and getting a GTS seems like a no brainer.

And yeah, I would at least list it now while it still has some warranty and we're still in silly season for resale, before the snow flies. Might as well pocket the cash; it's not like you'll be driving it much during the winter anyway.

EDIT: LMK if you are going to sell, I think I might know someone in the market.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote