carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I never remotely understood the point of these unless off-road driving is the plan.
Many of us "enjoy" our sports or sporty cars on the streets. Would they be better at a track? Yeah, but if it appeals to folks, which it does in a big way (all that imagery of conquering waterfalls and boulder-y mountains), so be it.

I need a good awd/4x4 system that I can trust on snowy highways (40-50mph on packed) and deep unplowed snow in parking lots/country lanes. That's where clearance helps as well. The climate is different from DC to NYC and then again to NYC to Boston and then again to the north... So while I questioned FC's LR4 back in the day, I see it as a solid choice for year-round Boston to Montreal capability.

After many winters of minor damage with low clearance, I had several bumpers/valences/whatevers in a row that were damaged by hard ice piles.

I've considered a Wrangler. Once I sat in one (must have been a 2018 model), I passed.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote