carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Thinking of getting another car ...

So the R8 was sold about a year ago and I can’t seem to find the right i8 plus I really put very little effort into it since it was kind of a relief not having so many cars. It just got draining always going to a dealer for something ... anyway I have new energy plus I am feeling the itch ... here are the cars on my list ...

Spoiler alert all cars mentioned below will not be a manual, I have my 911 which I am not getting rid of and one manual is enough plus I want a car my wife and kids can drive (to me this is fun) and I like the dual clutch transmissions. There is a reason I only put 1,000 miles on the 911 in the last year.

Let’s start with the craziest one but also one I think if I go with it would be long term ... the second generation R8 ... not quite sure if I would go with a 2 year old model or order a new one .... I spoke to my salesperson and they said they can get an allocation even though they currently don’t have one and the price is full msrp ... argh that’s a lot of change ... unfortunately a 2017 or 2018 really doesn’t save much since resale seems to be really good.

The new 911 aka 992 I am sure this is another keeper ... less expensive then the R8, I know it will be more nimble the only downside is the exterior still looks like my past 2 911’s but the interior imo is awesome. I love Porsche’s and this might be a winner.

The 991.2 coupe or convertible ... I have to search for a nice low mileage clean car which is a pain in the ass but I really like the facelift touches they did ... i’m not sure on the resale since the new 992 is out but I will start looking around.

Then comes the car I thought I would never consider but after having a 2019 Cayman loaner today this is definitely on the list. First off the only reason I didn’t consider it in the past is I had a 1st gen boxster and could not fit in it comfortably but after driving the loaner all day I seem to fit in it comfortably though the seat still hits the firewall (i’ll get into this in another thread) I am thinking why not got a gently used 718 couple or convertible ... try it out and if I find I’m uncomfortable I get rid of it. I should add just going to the dealer and getting a new one is appealing as well and eliminates the whole pain in the ass factor... argh decisions

So now the fun begins ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
JST

If you’re keeping the 911, why buy something so similar? What about a Taycan?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
So the R8 was sold about a year ago and I can’t seem to find the right i8 plus I really put very little effort into it since it was kind of a relief not having so many cars. It just got draining always going to a dealer for something ... anyway I have new energy plus I am feeling the itch ... here are the cars on my list ...

Spoiler alert all cars mentioned below will not be a manual, I have my 911 which I am not getting rid of and one manual is enough plus I want a car my wife and kids can drive (to me this is fun) and I like the dual clutch transmissions. There is a reason I only put 1,000 miles on the 911 in the last year.

Let’s start with the craziest one but also one I think if I go with it would be long term ... the second generation R8 ... not quite sure if I would go with a 2 year old model or order a new one .... I spoke to my salesperson and they said they can get an allocation even though they currently don’t have one and the price is full msrp ... argh that’s a lot of change ... unfortunately a 2017 or 2018 really doesn’t save much since resale seems to be really good.

The new 911 aka 992 I am sure this is another keeper ... less expensive then the R8, I know it will be more nimble the only downside is the exterior still looks like my past 2 911’s but the interior imo is awesome. I love Porsche’s and this might be a winner.

The 991.2 coupe or convertible ... I have to search for a nice low mileage clean car which is a pain in the ass but I really like the facelift touches they did ... i’m not sure on the resale since the new 992 is out but I will start looking around.

Then comes the car I thought I would never consider but after having a 2019 Cayman loaner today this is definitely on the list. First off the only reason I didn’t consider it in the past is I had a 1st gen boxster and could not fit in it comfortably but after driving the loaner all day I seem to fit in it comfortably though the seat still hits the firewall (i’ll get into this in another thread) I am thinking why not got a gently used 718 couple or convertible ... try it out and if I find I’m uncomfortable I get rid of it. I should add just going to the dealer and getting a new one is appealing as well and eliminates the whole pain in the ass factor... argh decisions

So now the fun begins ...
If you sit tight, STBX may be selling her 2017 718s next spring. Guards Red and PDK, so you’d have to be OK with that; otherwise well optioned. I’ll bet you’d be pickier, though, about colors/options (as we all are).
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
2020 corvette. *threadclosed*
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
If you’re keeping the 911, why buy something so similar? What about a Taycan?
I really want a newer sports car with a dual clutch transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
If you sit tight, STBX may be selling her 2017 718s next spring. Guards Red and PDK, so you’d have to be OK with that; otherwise well optioned. I’ll bet you’d be pickier, though, about colors/options (as we all are).
Is that someone on this board ? Do you know details on the car such as miles and possibly asking price not that I want to put in the position of asking, if you send me the contact info that would be great.

I need to post a review of the Base Cayman I drove today ... why anyone would complain about that engine kinda blows me away .... Porsche did such an excellent job on it. That car was so much fun to drive and that pdk transmission is amazing ... i’m going to post a couple of pics of it here just can’t do it on my iPad.

I almost want to go to the dealer tomorrow and just buy it though I can’t because I would never buy a loaner car.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I really want a newer sports car with a dual clutch transmission.

Is that someone on this board ? Do you know details on the car such as miles and possibly asking price not that I want to out in the position of asking, if you send me the contact info that would be great.

I need to post a review of the Base Cayman I drove today ... why anyone would complain about that engine kinda blows me away .... Porsche did such an excellent job on it. That car was so much fun to drive and that pdk transmission is amazing ... i’m going to post a couple of pics of it here just can’t do it on my iPad.

I almost want to go to the dealer tomorrow and just buy it though I can’t because I would never buy a loaner car.
It is her ex-wife. Not sure of the STBX acronym, but in my divorce history it would stand for Shitty Total Bitch Ex.

Edit: Urban dictionary educated me "soon to be ex"... same difference
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
2020 corvette. *threadclosed*
I love the new mid engine corvette but I do not trust a first year Corvette, they always have a history of issues plus gm never made a car like this before ... another issue is every Chevrolet dealer here in Long Island looks like its from the 1980’s ... call me spoiled but I need a good service department.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
It is her ex-wife. Not sure of the STBX acronym, but in my divorce history it would stand for Shitty Total Bitch Ex.

Edit: Urban dictionary educated me "soon to be ex"... same difference
Damn I am so dumb ... yeah that car is awesome i’m totally interested ... wdc let’s talk
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #10
JST

Everyone is raving about the new GT500, though you’ll basically never be able to get a test drive.

I second the Corvette. If it has problems, so what? It’s like your fourth car, right?

Can’t go wrong with a Cayman, though it seems awfully similar to the 911, driving wise.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote