carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #1321
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Oh snap
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #1322
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
https://racer.com/2019/09/06/scca-so...ifying-friday/

Model 3 win at Nationals? Anyone who was there have any thoughts?
Did not watch BS run (they ran immediately after I did on the other course), so I didn't see it, but initial thought was, "only won by that much?"

A lot of people have shown it can hustle all year. The speed and electronic wizardry makes it quick. Sounds like better shocks would make it a lot better.

The class is interesting. Check out the top 10: http://sololive.scca.com/BS.php (link is still good, but dont know how much longer it will be). Some really good drivers in a very diverse field. Marcus did not check out. Last year's class winner was Jeremy Foley. He was in a 3 for the Pro Finale, didn't like it and had someone drive his codriver's 1M that he won in last year up from Texas for Nats.

Jury is out, but the car can get it done for sure...and a lot of people think there will be a lot more next year.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #1323
rumatt
Mugwump

Sounds like it was misclassed then, no?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #1324
JST

That’s a fascinating field. Idk, seems pretty cool to have a class with that many diverse entries.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 AM   #1325
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Sounds like it was misclassed then, no?
Quote:
That’s a fascinating field. Idk, seems pretty cool to have a class with that many diverse entries.
Without getting into it too much, despite results, I'm not sure if it's classed appropriately or not. I lean towards the notion it is, but with low-medium confidence. It has an unfair super advantage in the wet based on what we've seen at other events this year (we had perfect weather for Nats this week and only had one wet session for the Pro the weekend before). Better shocks may enough to make it the top car in the class. Or not. Shocks and Yokohamas might make it untouchable. And there's the possibility every day that the car will be meaningfully better on any given morning than the evening before.

If it was classed wrong, it was a very good mistake that hasn't been discovered yet.

If it matters, I've been paying attention all year and not just because of how it may affect the SS 1lE's prospects.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #1326
JST

Is it faster than the Focus RS when it rains?

I can imagine a very compelling argument for putting AWD cars in their own class, but I guess the flip side of that is that part of the game is choosing how much to bet on whether it is going to rain during competition.

Though judging from history/your Facebook posts, the chance of rain during competition seems pretty close to 100 percent.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #1327
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Is it faster than the Focus RS when it rains?

I can imagine a very compelling argument for putting AWD cars in their own class, but I guess the flip side of that is that part of the game is choosing how much to bet on whether it is going to rain during competition.

Though judging from history/your Facebook posts, the chance of rain during competition seems pretty close to 100 percent.
The RS is split into two classes now. The 2016 and 2017 are in DS with my Camaro. The 2018s and newer are in BS with the 3 because of the front diff.

Yes, the 3 is faster than both in the wet. It's unreal. Accelerating in a straight line, the RS notices, shrugs, and goes about its business. The 3 behaves like it's dry. 0-60 foot times are identical wet or dry. It's insane.

The amount of rain at Pro Solos this year was very unusual. Every one I went to.

The AWD thing vs FWD and RWD has been an issue since forever, or at least since the advent of the STi and Evo in the early/mid 2000s. The 3 makes it more pronounced and adds other concerns. The rule making bodies are paying attention. They're just not speedy.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #1328
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Do 3 owners/drivers bring a generator? or is an overnight charge good enough for a day of racing?

I'm sure their range goes to shit when racing
Old 09-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #1329
rumatt
Mugwump

It's just 3 short runs. I'm sure there's more than enough power.

I'm curious what they charged to. 100 I guess.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #1330
JST

I mean no reason not to charge to 80 or 90 (wherever is high enough that regen won’t be impacted). Not like the electrons weigh much.

Yes, 3 short runs I’m sure aren’t a problem. Even triple that would be fine.

Track days are a different story, but then again even ICE cars struggle with that. When I would do DEs I’d get 4 or 5 mpg and even if I started with a full tank I’d usually have to put some fuel in before the last session.