carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #1231
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Work was completed while I was in Portugal and I picked it up on Fri. But they are out to T badges - so that is on order and will be put on sometime this week...

The new trunk seal is noticeably different. It’s also much tighter (the old one was loose). As for the replaced trunk lid, they service log states that the original appeared bowed, which may have been causing the leak. I wonder if the bowling was caused by the accident?

For the charging error - it stopped charging after a minute on the Supercharger when they put it on to charge at the end of the original service appointment. They replaced the charge port and charging controller. No issues now...
I hope it’s the light at the end of the tunnel for you.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #1232
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
That’s awesome that Tesla is getting props from proper gear heads like Chris. They are the new way of performance for sure. I’ll be a convert one day. I’m just not ready to give up the sound and my manual.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #1233
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
That’s awesome that Tesla is getting props from proper gear heads like Chris. They are the new way of performance for sure. I’ll be a convert one day. I’m just not ready to give up the sound and my manual.

Likewise. Main thing that holds me back is Tesla being a bit of a hot mess as a company .
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #1234
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Likewise. Main thing that holds me back is Tesla being a bit of a hot mess as a company .
I'm kind of in the same boat, but the interior is more of a deal killer for me right now.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #1235
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I'm a little worried about the hot mess part. I'm assuming it'll work out somehow and I won't get left with really expensive (and heavy) paperweight. But we'll have to see.

Regarding the interior - I actually kind of like it.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #1236
John V
No more BMWs

I get the feeling the company will sort itself out. It would sure be great if they could figure out how to license their drive units and battery tech to other car makers so you could get the goodness of Tesla without the other stuff.

The interior really bugs me. It's ugly and poorly laid out. The other thing that bugs me is you have to pony up for the top model to get the version that is set up to be a driver's car. I'm holding out some hope that they'll make a cheaper model with the sporty suspension and the less-intrusive nannies.

Even the exterior has kind of grown on me. It's still awkward looking but I don't cringe when I see them anymore. I still cringe when I see early Z4's
Old 06-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #1237
JST

I don't really understand the complaints about the interior. It's not gorgeous, but from a layout standpoint it's perfectly fine. The touchscreen has some drawbacks, but the sheer physical size and responsivness of it minimize those, and it comes with all of the advantages that touchscreens on phones have. The ability to reconfigure the UI to let you do a bunch of different things is incredibly useful.

Just re-learning how to use BMW's hot mess of a UI has been an eye-opener for me. The Tesla is easy and intuitive; the BMW is the opposite of that.

There are some things that I wish Tesla did differently (e.g., a physical mirror switch, a physical glovebox release), but they're pretty small potatoes.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #1238
John V
No more BMWs

I generally prefer physical buttons to the huge TV in the car. The Ram has a touch screen and redundant physical buttons for many features. I always find myself using the buttons. The Tesla UX is far superior to any of the other touch-screen based systems I've used, but it's still not what I'd prefer.

The lack of gauges in the driver's line of vision in the 3 is really dumb. IMO.

The steering wheel looks and feels really cheap, IMO.

I dunno. I guess you get used to this stuff over time. I'm still living in the mindset of an E46 interior layout and look, which IMO was pretty much perfection.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #1239
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I generally prefer physical buttons to the huge TV in the car. The Ram has a touch screen and redundant physical buttons for many features. I always find myself using the buttons. The Tesla UX is far superior to any of the other touch-screen based systems I've used, but it's still not what I'd prefer.

The lack of gauges in the driver's line of vision in the 3 is really dumb. IMO.

The steering wheel looks and feels really cheap, IMO.

I dunno. I guess you get used to this stuff over time. I'm still living in the mindset of an E46 interior layout and look, which IMO was pretty much perfection.
I was thinking about this a lot this weekend--I drove the Tesla to Charlottesville after a week or so of driving the BMW every day.

Yes, the lack of gauges in front of the driver is goofy, but you very quickly get used to it--and reading the speed in the Tesla is actually easier than in the BMW, with its goofy 200 mph speedometer and attendant small-as-hell increment marks. And really for the Tesla you don't need a lot of gauges. There's no tach, eg, or water temp or whatever. Battery SOC could be more prominent, but that's about it.

Physical buttons are nice, especially in the winter. And the BMW has a nice row of physical buttons for the media/radio. But there aren't enough of them to store all the good stations, so then you have to dive into iDrive. And let me tell you, iDrive still sucks balls. It's way better than it used to be, but it's far harder to use to do simple tasks than the Tesla.

One HUGE thing--entering nav addresses. In the Tesla, it's easy as hell. The BMW is...not. Fortunately, BMW has a nice linked application that lets you look up the address on your phone and send it to the car, which works pretty well. But just using the iDrive controller to enter an address guarantees you'll pretty much never use the nav.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #1240
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
One HUGE thing--entering nav addresses. In the Tesla, it's easy as hell. The BMW is...not. Fortunately, BMW has a nice linked application that lets you look up the address on your phone and send it to the car, which works pretty well. But just using the iDrive controller to enter an address guarantees you'll pretty much never use the nav.
I don't know if this was updated along the way, but you can "write" on the iDrive knob. I still hate it, but the voice recognition works very well. The M3 also has a digital speedo and, in my case, HUD. But yes, the analog speedo is dumb. More useful than on the 997TT, but that was a joke.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote