carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #1211
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The interior is spartan, but you get used to it in the same way you get used to any other minimalist decor. Is it "luxurious?" Yes and no, I guess. An Eames couch isn't particularly "luxurious" for its price point, but it has a clean elegance. The Model 3 is the same way. Most regular cars feel busy and extra in comparison.
Right. One of the reasons that minimalist designs tend to be more expensive is that the workmanship and materials have to be better since there isn't any "gingerbread" to hide seams, etc. Unfortunately, Tesla's build quality isn't yet up to the standard implied by their designs--although the interior quality seemed fine to me.

As far as exterior design, I like the elegant minimalism of the 3. I know it can look a bit froggy/bubbly when viewed head on, but that doesn't bug me too much. When I think about it, there aren't many 4 door cars in the 20-50k price range that look appreciably better other than the Mazda6. I liked the outgoing f30 (though it too looks weird when viewed head on), but the new 3 series is bloated and weird looking. The A4 is fine but a bit plain while the C class just looks blobby and droopy. It's not until you get to the S5 Sportback at 50k+ that things start to get better.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #1212
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Thankfully it didn't snow much around here this past winter, but it just digs and goes in the snow. One of the benefits of having two motors, I guess, though I suppose there are scenarios where the open e-diffs could be overpowered even there.
What I'm trying to point out is not accelerative traction but braking and side g's... You will not be able to hold the kind of g's you expect, mainly because CoG covers up for heavy weight dramatically in the dry and less so in worse traction.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #1213
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I took my car to the car wash today to wash off the road salt from this week's storms…

Found out that the trunk leaks -- somewhere around 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water leaked in...

Pretty sure its related to the repairs by the body shop. I have a few other finishing items for them to complete, and they are just looking to find a slot to bring it in.

The good news is that I'm traveling most of the next 3 weeks, so it will be pretty easy to drop it off and let them work on it, then pick it up when I get back. I may be able to drop it off this Fri evening, and pick it up the following Sat.
The trunk is still leaking... easily had a cup or so of water in the trunk after a car wash yesterday. Haven’t had the issue in the rain. Ugh.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #1214
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
The trunk is still leaking... easily had a cup or so of water in the trunk after a car wash yesterday. Haven’t had the issue in the rain. Ugh.
Crap.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #1215
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
This seems to be a common complaint, so it might have nothing to do with the accident
Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #1216
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
This seems to be a common complaint, so it might have nothing to do with the accident
I stopped by the body shop after work today, and they said the same thing. They said that Tesla needs to update the seal -- its not quite tall enough.

For now, I've pulled the seal up a little bit -- that's what they suggested. Should keep out any rain (so far, its only leaked during car washes).

I have an appointment scheduled with Tesla next week to look at it... Maybe this will allow a lemon law buy-back if they can't fix it

-------------------------------------------------

Insurance Update:
I finally started getting claim responses from the other insurance. I'm only partially happy.

1) Rental car costs. They only approved ~20% or so of the claim (about $1800). Seeking proof of repair delays. My insurance is working on it, and I asked the body shop for invoices while I was there. Basically they are stating that the repairs should have taken ~6 weeks, not nearly 5 months. Ugh.

2) Diminished Value. Got a call. Their offer is ~$2k less than the appraisal I have. I'm pushing for the appraisal value since its independent. We'll see how it goes...

I'm thinking about replacing the car. Time to start getting quotes.
- Carvana is offering ~$10k below Edmunds Trade-in (including ~$4.5k deduction for the accident).
- I haven't checked with CarMax yet. Previusly, they've only been slightly below Edmunds on my trade-ins...
- I may ask Tesla to see what their trade offer is.

I don't really want to take the depreciation hit, but the leaky trunk and just knowing the car was hit have me on edge. Maybe I need to sleep on it. Or just drive it until the Model Y comes out...

I hate this now. I love the car, but hate driving it knowing it was damaged/repaired to the extent it was...
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #1217
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Sorry man. That sucks.

But once they fix the leaky seal (and I'm assuming they will?) you'll probably be good to go?

What will the depreciation be like selling now, vs say in 2 years?

BTW, this I noticed that if I leave my trunk fully open for a while it is indeed difficult to pull down. But if I open it 2/3's then shut it, it moves easily.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #1218
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Tesla will be acquired within a year, says the NYU professor who predicted Amazon's takeover of Whole Foods
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #1219
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Interesting. Wouldn't Uber make sense? They may not have the cash, though.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #1220
robg
Carmudgeon

Interesting. The value in Tesla would likely be in getting access to all of their data (and access to the tens of thousands of autopilot equipped cars that continue gathering real world data ). In theory, this could provide an edge to someone with deep enough pockets to treat it as as an R&D investment. Hard to think of any possibilities beyond Apple, Google or Amazon. Would be interesting to see how they'd deal with managing the low margin/high labor aspects of the business (production and service). Make a deal to sell the brand/factories to another automaker for cheap while keeping access to the data? Subsidize pricing to accelerate the growth of the fleet?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote