carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #21
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
what's wrong with the 911 or NSX? If he's as good a driver as you say, he'll pick it up quickly and he won't kill the car.
I really don't think I could handle him driving the Porsche ... I think I'd be insanely paranoid and the moment I heard that first crunching of the gears or smell of burnt clutch I would be freaking out.

As far as the NSX I can't do that to that car and feel right about selling it to the next person ... it is such a beautiful example of an NSX I really can't see teaching someone to drive stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Find an old Bug... Seriously. As long as it runs, it should do the trick. Sell it once he can shift.
I don't think there is a car I dislike more in the world than the bug but thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Honda Civic manual or if you can find one an older Honda Accord manual?
I think this is the best option or the Toyota Celica mentioned above ... fun cars, easy to drive and probably easy to sell. I was also thinking of a Mini because I think I would enjoy driving it and I always wanted one anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
He's going to have his own car eventually, right?

Just buy that car and make sure it is a stick.
His first car most likely is going to be an Automatic ... we have been discussing it though it is probably at least a year away unless they still offer a Work license where he can drive to work and School on his own.

I agree it is ridiculous that I need to purchase a car to teach him but he wants to learn and I definitely want him to learn.

I would love to find a rental car company that offers a stick ... that would be perfect but it seems impossible to find
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I really don't think I could handle him driving the Porsche ... I think I'd be insanely paranoid and the moment I heard that first crunching of the gears or smell of burnt clutch I would be freaking out.

As far as the NSX I can't do that to that car and feel right about selling it to the next person ... it is such a beautiful example of an NSX I really can't see teaching someone to drive stick with it.

I don't think there is a car I dislike more in the world than the bug but thanks for the suggestion

I think this is the best option or the Toyota Celica mentioned above ... fun cars, easy to drive and probably easy to sell. I was also thinking of a Mini because I think I would enjoy driving it and I always wanted one anyway.

His first car most likely is going to be an Automatic ... we have been discussing it though it is probably at least a year away unless they still offer a Work license where he can drive to work and School on his own.

I agree it is ridiculous that I need to purchase a car to teach him but he wants to learn and I definitely want him to learn.

I would love to find a rental car company that offers a stick ... that would be perfect but it seems impossible to find
Why is his first car going to be an auto?

Driving a stick makes it harder to text, smoke, eat and all that other crap when driving. It also forces you to focus more. Assuming sticks are still available when the time comes, the sine qua non of whatever my kids drive first is that it be a stick.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Driving a stick makes it harder to text, smoke, eat and all that other crap when driving. It also forces you to focus more. Assuming sticks are still available when the time comes, the sine qua non of whatever my kids drive first is that it be a stick.
Agreed, and furthermore, if his first car is going to be an auto, why bother teaching him to drive a stick at this point, when the time comes (if it ever does), teach him then.

Getting comfortable with a stick takes time - a few "lessons", then ridding yourself of the car, isn't going to do it, IMO - he'll forget much of what he learned (especially the real world stuff, like hills and the proper gear for a given situation) and fall back on the pure delight of driving an auto - which as JST correctly points out, means texting, drinking soft drinks, hanging arms out of windows etc.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Agreed, and furthermore, if his first car is going to be an auto, why bother teaching him to drive a stick at this point, when the time comes (if it ever does), teach him then.

Getting comfortable with a stick takes time - a few "lessons", then ridding yourself of the car, isn't going to do it, IMO - he'll forget much of what he learned (especially the real world stuff, like hills and the proper gear for a given situation) and fall back on the pure delight of driving an auto - which as JST correctly points out, means texting, drinking soft drinks, hanging arms out of windows etc.
I'm with him.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #25
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:

This.

x100

My only issue with executing this plan is the pesky E39 sitting out front of our house. Good thing our daughter has no interest in driving it. She expects to get our A4 Avant. Not sure if that'll be the case.

Oh, and I'm definitely sending both kids to http://streetsurvival.org/
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:

Yes.

My older daughter is still a ways out from this whole thing, but if they're still around, I'm buying her a stick. I can't think of a single downside, from forcing greater concentration, to preventing her less-awesome friends from borrowing her car.

On a similiar note...it's been 3.5 years since I've owned a stick and I'm very sad about this.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #27
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Yes.

My older daughter is still a ways out from this whole thing, but if they're still around, I'm buying her a stick. I can't think of a single downside, from forcing greater concentration, to preventing her less-awesome friends from borrowing her car.
Exactly. My kids (6 & 4) already know they will drive stick when the time comes.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #28
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Wrangler.

Miata.

Pick-up truck.

Something in there can probably be had for cheap-ish and they are fun in their own ways.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #29
Alan
Carmudgeon

He said he wants an Automatic which is ok with me ...

My plan is to teach him to drive a stick and then I want to take him this summer to the Skip Barber driving school at Limerock CT.

Also you need to keep in mind even if his own car is not a stick once he learns I am sure he will want to drive my cars ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #30
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post

I agree with all of this.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote