carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #331
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Since we all rely heavily on consumer reports for our car buying advice...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/21/tech...rts/index.html
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #332
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Edmunds has apparently had reliability nightmares with theirs also...
Old 05-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #333
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Edmunds has apparently had reliability nightmares with theirs also...
yep- sounds like a bit of a nightmare:
https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...pril-2018.html
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #334
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
And now Elon confirmed that there is a firmware update to make the brakes work properly
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #335
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
ZBB is weirdly missing from this model three bashing. I am wondering if this is making him rethink his order.

Last edited by Theo; 05-22-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #336
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
yep- sounds like a bit of a nightmare:
https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...pril-2018.html
Frankly, this troubles me more than anything else:

The passenger vanity mirror fell off completely. Installed and held on only by double-sided tape. Reinstalled by pressing really hard on the mirror.

That's not a bug. That's not even poor build quality. That is crappy/cheap design. I don't pretend to know what kind of testing Tesla did, but I can tell you that you almost never trust adhesives long-term unless they are epoxies. No double sided tape exists that I would trust in the nightmarish application that is a vehicle. It has to work at -50F. It has to work at 150F. And it has to do so with endless thermal cycles and variations in humidity. Ugh.

I would have expected people in the middle east or Scandinavia to bitch after two or more years. Not within a month and in reasonable weather.

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, but this detail is a bad sign to me.

Last edited by FC; 05-23-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: shitty grammar
Old 05-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #337
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
ZBB is weirdly missing from this model three bashing. I wondering if this making him rethink his order.
Not able to order a dual motor yet (they are phasing in the ability to order again -- I can only order the rear motor version).

The braking thing is strange -- but appears to be software related and an update will be pushed out this week.

As for other build quality items, I'm not that concerned. I had a minor build quality issue on my Model S and Tesla addressed it (chip in the interior rear view mirror glass)… Its been a fantastic car. The 3 I sat in overall felt like it has better design quality than the S.

I do have to take my S in for unscheduled service tomorrow -- first time in a couple years for an unscheduled visit. The glove box won't stay closed (I opened it yesterday morning and it wouldn't close…). The actuator is working to open it -- appears a spring in the latch gave out.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #338
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I do have to take my S in for unscheduled service tomorrow -- first time in a couple years for an unscheduled visit. The glove box won't stay closed (I opened it yesterday morning and it wouldn't close…). The actuator is working to open it -- appears a spring in the latch gave out.
That kind of issue on a car as old as yours is reasonable.

The 3 just sounds like a nightmare out of the box. If you buy one, I hope yours is trouble free and enjoyable for as many years as you own it, but while I can believe you will enjoy it, I wouldn't put my money on it being anywhere close to trouble free.

OTOH, there's something to be said for being on the bleeding edge of a revolution, trouble spots and all.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #339
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
These articles suggest to me strong evidence that the 3 was rushed through the design process. Which is consistent with everything else we've heard about the 3. It's interesting because the Model S really has proven to be an excellent car.

I really like the idea behind the car. There are just too many design decisions that long-term I think will play out to be mistakes. Moving primary controls to the touch screen / steering wheel multifunction switches. Lack of traditional gauges. The odd styling. This fiasco with the brakes. It just all seems half-baked.

If they survive (and I hope they do), the next-gen 3 will probably be really great. But this one is not for me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #340
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
These articles suggest to me strong evidence that the 3 was rushed through the design process. Which is consistent with everything else we've heard about the 3. It's interesting because the Model S really has proven to be an excellent car.

I really like the idea behind the car. There are just too many design decisions that long-term I think will play out to be mistakes. Moving primary controls to the touch screen / steering wheel multifunction switches. Lack of traditional gauges. The odd styling. This fiasco with the brakes. It just all seems half-baked.

If they survive (and I hope they do), the next-gen 3 will probably be really great. But this one is not for me.

Not that I care, but I told people a couple of years ago that while I truly admire what Tesla has done because it is not easy, they really had a precious window in which to prove themselves as a volume manufacturer.

I think it has taken them too long. Look at the eGolf. The car has been flawless and it was a first-year car. That's because all VW had to worry about was learning how to implement electric power. They already knew how to make cars. That's not the case for Tesla.

In a couple of years Tesla will not be the only game in town and it will have to compete with prestigious car makers for that (growing) slice of the pie.

No Lexus/MB/BMW/LR/Audi/Jaguar buyer would put up with this nonsense. Tesla people do because they are cool and new. That won't be the case for long. I wish Tesla the best, but they need to grow VERY fast with good-quality products to hope to be profitable. I think they will run out of time. They are already starting to see dwindling credits in the horizon. Wait until Mercedes at. al. put out a Tesla competitor with a $7500 Fed credit that Tesla can't have.

I hope I'm wrong.