carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Buick. Merc. BMW. Jaguar. Audi. Volvo.

There are still some decent wagon choices.
Yep. Have driven most of them. We miss our 5 wagon. It was the sweet spot of size, luxury, handling. And a RWD version with sport suspension would have been even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
When is the LSD going in?
It's in!

Did some break-in figure 8s, circles, etc. yesterday. But otherwise only have about 16 miles on it. I also traded out the Pilot Super Sports for A/S 3+, so those are breaking in as well. (I am over doing summer/winter swaps, and don't have a cold/foul weather driving alternative. Spouse gets the X5 and we are keeping the summers on her Boxster year round.)

So with the LSD and the all seasons, I've gained traction and lost traction at the same time. At least in the heat of summer on dry roads...

At any rate, the car already feels much more planted and controllable. It has lost much of its floaty feel around corners--which is what I disliked about the car. It now feels like it can put the power down in a predictable fashion--like my M3--both going into the corners and pulling out of them. We live in an old-style suburb, where all the streets loop around and intersect with each other. Getting to a main road is all twists and turns every day.

I look forward to full break-in (allegedly 500 miles or so) and some highway ramps in the future (where I most keenly felt the lack of the LSD.)

EDIT: I really don't understand all the people who add power/tuning kits to their 2 series before they install an LSD.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Please keep the reviews coming, this is something I'd be very tempted to do on my 1er if it really made a difference.

And I completely agree re: the tuning crowd and putting big power through a pogo stick drive on these cars. More power is not very high on the list of things I'd want to improve on this car.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Please keep the reviews coming, this is something I'd be very tempted to do on my 1er if it really made a difference.
Will do. So far, very pleased.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Well - a good deal on an x3 35i just dropped in my lap. Would be about 350/month for 2 years. Has the minimum that I want- but no nice to haves like adaptive cruise or the adaptive suspension. Still at this price kinda hard to say no. Could barely get a CRV for that. Really nothing else I can find out there close this to size/price/perfomrance/practicality. It's fugly but atleast it's black.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Well - a good deal on an x3 35i just dropped in my lap. Would be about 350/month for 2 years. Has the minimum that I want- but no nice to haves like adaptive cruise or the adaptive suspension. Still at this price kinda hard to say no. Could barely get a CRV for that. Really nothing else I can find out there close this to size/price/perfomrance/practicality. It's fugly but atleast it's black.
When you say fugly does it have some ugly wheels on it or something? I really like the look of the X3 and think it is one of the better looking suv’s out here, for that price I would jump on it !!

I can’t believe it’s a X3 35i for that price
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
When you say fugly does it have some ugly wheels on it or something? I really like the look of the X3 and think it is one of the better looking suv’s out here, for that price I would jump on it !!

I can’t believe it’s a X3 35i for that price
Yeah- not a big fan of the looks of it (the wheels are the base ones so they don't help either). Too many body lines, weird headlight shape, weird front end, etc. Looks good from the back though! The redesigned 18s looks a little better I think (although I haven't spent time up close). If I'm driving it I don't have to look at it- and it's not like I find most CUVS/SUVs attractive anyway. But I agree for the price, it's hard to beat. An equivalent 2018 M40i would cost about $700/month! Could barely get base Jeep Grand Cherokee for this price either. Will be my first car w/ passive entry and that kick-to-open tailgate ( I know many people complain that they have trouble w/ it but I've never had an issue on any car I've tried it on). With a toddler, I'm really looking forward to those features.

My first choice was a 330 wagon for the same price, but my wife vetoed that. I prefer having the 6 cyl anyway though. And, with a kid in a car seat the higher ride height is a back/head saver. Also would've liked a Grand Cherokee but w/ the same level of options it would've been in the 400s plus my wife didn't like the seats.

Last edited by robg; 01-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote