carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #81
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Could hot used-vehicle market lead to burns? https://www.autonews.com/used-cars/c...ket-lead-burns
Behind a paywall.

At any rate, I just checked a local VW dealer, and they are trying to sell a bunch of TDI buyback diesel wagons (2015 MY) for $44k!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #82
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Precisely.
I love the JL with the sky roof top and the EcoDiesel.

It is a marked improvement (to me) over the JK and even the 2018 I owned. The 8 speed that comes with the EcoDiesel is pretty major and it also shifts well.

My biggest gripe is not handling (I just suck it up). It is the speed limiter. Being limited to 96/97mph is not reasonable for the speeds at which SoCal traffic travels when the highways are open.

To be honest, on anything that’s not the highway, there are very few vehicles that are more fun for me. But maybe it’s because I like sounding like a school bus on local roads.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #83
SCA
Jaded

Copy & Paste from Automotive New

Ally forecasts 15% decline in used-car prices by end of 2023

Auto lender Ally Financial says Q4 inventory rose 15% from Q3, but it was still significantly diminished.

Ally Financial, one of the nation's largest auto lenders, said it anticipates at least a 15 percent reduction in used-vehicle prices by the end of 2023.

Prices have been increasing, and the path to Ally's estimated cumulative decline of 15 to 20 percent in the next two years might not follow a straight line, CFO Jenn LaClair noted on the lender's fourth-quarter earnings call Friday.

CEO Jeffrey Brown said on the call that Ally's outlook involved a "really robust used-car market," but the company did see prices "moderating."

Douglas Timmerman, Ally's Dealer Financial Services president, told Automotive News on Friday that Ally expected "a slow unwind," a pace that represented "probably the best of scenarios for all stakeholders," including dealerships and consumers.

The average used vehicle sold for $28,205 in December, up 28 percent from the same time a year earlier, Kelley Blue Book said the same day as the earnings call.

In 2020, the average 5-year-old vehicle depreciated 49 percent, iSeeCars.com estimated. In 2021, that number improved to 40 percent.

In terms of supply, both Brown and LaClair described increased vehicle inventory among dealers.

"We are seeing some very modest uptick in inventory levels," Brown said.

Ally's commercial auto lending balances — a major component of which is floorplan borrowing — grew for the first time in five quarters to $16.1 billion.

"This was driven by a 15 percent rebound (quarter over quarter) in industry inventory, a modest but positive trend occurring ahead of our expectation for growth later this year," LaClair said.

However, inventory remained 70 percent below pre-pandemic levels, she told Automotive News on Friday.

Ally said floorplan outstanding rose from $7.6 billion in the third quarter to $11.1 billion in the fourth quarter.

LaClair told analysts that while rising used-vehicle prices improved Ally's lease yields, falling prices that lowered those yields would provide Ally with greater floorplan revenue.

"We have the hedge on the reverse," she said.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #84
SCA
Jaded

Is the madness finally settling down? Recent Automotive New article. Partial screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F92D50BA-1CF0-430F-91CB-6E9859DE33C4.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	14285  

Last edited by SCA; 02-08-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #85
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Is the madness finally settling down? Recent Automotive New article. Partial screenshot.
I guess?

Anyone who can wait wins.

Dealers need constant flow of transactions to make money. If you can skip the artificial scarcity (maybe real scarcity), please do.

I actually enjoy the engaging with dealers when they feel like they have the upper hand. Sharpens up my negotiating skills.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #86
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
FEATURED
Automakers see 'warning signs' as inflation weakens demand for new cars
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/03/...ns-automakers/
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #87
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
What do you want to bet it has no effect on the type of cars people in this forum like to buy.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #88
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
What do you want to bet it has no effect on the type of cars people in this forum like to buy.
It will definitely have an effect and likely already has to a certain extent. It may be muted relative to more mainstream segments.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:17 PM   #89
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
PDK-equipped cars? Yes. Softened market.

I’m not really seeing it soften all that much for true manuals. Which seem scarce everywhere.

The GTS that recently sold for $132k still got 98% of MSRP, five years later.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:21 PM   #90
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
PDK-equipped cars? Yes. Softened market.

I’m not really seeing it soften all that much for true manuals. Which seem scarce everywhere.
Agreed…

PDK demand has been in the toilet for sometime, at least in the pre-owned market. 10 to 1 PDK vs manual.

Last edited by SCA; 08-03-2022 at 09:42 PM.