carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #281
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I really feel like if the M240i came with a manual and rwd(we know this is coming) that with the performance it has I think a lot of hard core traditionalists that want those things would actually opt for this then the extra 15 - 20 for the M2.

I really think that is one reason for not offing a manual.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #282
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I really feel like if the M240i came with a manual and rwd(we know this is coming) that with the performance it has I think a lot of hard core traditionalists that want those things would actually opt for this then the extra 15 - 20 for the M2.

Yeah, those krauts aren't stupid.

They know how to milk the cow by offering just a little less with each variant to make the buyer step up to the next level to get the goodies and secure bragging rights.

Pretty much Marketing 101 anyway.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:42 PM   #283
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

Yep, no doubt!
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #284
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Not yet. I even have two outstanding deposits with two separate dealers. Looks ominous as each day goes by without confirmation of a MY22 allocation.

If I go 0 for 2 I guess I have no choice but to wait for the MY23 ordering guides to see what additional goodies will be part of the vehicle that could lessen the pain of having id8.

Time will tell.
Are you thinking of doing Performance Center Delivery? The 2er looks like a really solid package. BMW seems to have regained the spirit in their small car platform. We still love our 135 and our X5 has been excellent.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #285
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Are you thinking of doing Performance Center Delivery? The 2er looks like a really solid package. BMW seems to have regained the spirit in their small car platform. We still love our 135 and our X5 has been excellent.
I would Josh, except it would delay delivery probably anywhere from two to four weeks, which would put it into late August or September.

Sucks that just about the time I get it the '23's will be rolling out, but my desire for id7 over id8 puts me in that box. This is tempered by the knowledge I plan to hold on to it for the next 5 - 6 years, which lessens the financial impact that accrues over that timeframe.

Ideally that would set us up for getting the last year of the ICE Age vehicles in the G42 or G87, or maybe a mid to top tier Cayman if anybody still wants to buy a kidney.

How about your E82? As it continues to age any plans to replace it should the headaches and bills start piling up?
Old 05-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #286
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I would Josh, except it would delay delivery probably anywhere from two to four weeks, which would put it into late August or September.

Sucks that just about the time I get it the '23's will be rolling out, but my desire for id7 over id8 puts me in that box. This is tempered by the knowledge I plan to hold on to it for the next 5 - 6 years, which lessens the financial impact that accrues over that timeframe.

Ideally that would set us up for getting the last year of the ICE Age vehicles in the G42 or G87, or maybe a mid to top tier Cayman if anybody still wants to buy a kidney.

How about your E82? As it continues to age any plans to replace it should the headaches and bills start piling up?
Keep in mind there is a chance your production could be delayed, pushing your 2 into 2023 MY…
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:27 AM   #287
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Keep in mind there is a chance your production could be delayed, pushing your 2 into 2023 MY…
Worst case scenario for sure.

And looks like the inevitable is officially going to take place based on the just released announcement of BMW model updates later this summer shown below.

BMW model update measures as of summer 2022.
18.05.2022 PRESS RELEASE

Sales launch for plug-in hybrid models of the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer - Additional drive variants for the BMW 2 Series Coupé and the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupé - New equipment packages for numerous model series - BMW 2 Series Coupé and BMW M3 now with BMW Operating System 8 and BMW Curved Display as standard - BMW Maps navigation system and BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant with extended functions.

Edit: Note that they also got rid of the normal center console shifter as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D23A133B-B7BF-4B81-84EF-DF1BC5F34AD1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	14669  
Old 05-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #288
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

Good luck with the timing of your allocaiton. Does the PCD delay production or just delivery? IE, could you keep your my22 production date and just pick it up later, or would it definitely push you into an ID8 situation? I get the desire for ID7, the system is just about perfect (we have it in our 19 x5) and I could see the MY22s holding value for people that want analog gauges and climate control buttons over the MY23 cars.

I absolutely love my '11 135 (e88 manual / convertible). Its got 124k miles on it now. We did some relatively major maintenance on it in the last year: Oil Pan Gasket, Valve Cover+gasket, Plugs + Coils, Rear shocks & new turbo. I let the turbo go too long and it killed the Catalytic convertor (leaking oil into the exhaust and smoking), so we put a new / used Cat in it as well. All in was about $5k. Historically (we got it in 2014), it took a starter motor, water pump and OFHG, so it hasn't been maintenance free, but its the perfect daily driver for me. Before we did the major maintenance this spring, we talked about whether it was logical to dump money into it or buy a replacement and the reality was I couldn't think of anything that I would want to replace it with even if I doubled the value of the car. I could see us keeping it 'forever'. The dog loves riding in the back seat, it can fit four adults in a pinch, and its comfortable yet still very old school BMW fun. My wife and I + dog took it to the lake this weekend and our two adult daughters met us up there. We did a bunch of top down lake drives with the 5 of us in it and no one complained.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #289
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Good luck with the timing of your allocaiton. Does the PCD delay production or just delivery? IE, could you keep your my22 production date and just pick it up later, or would it definitely push you into an ID8 situation? I get the desire for ID7, the system is just about perfect (we have it in our 19 x5) and I could see the MY22s holding value for people that want analog gauges and climate control buttons over the MY23 cars.

I absolutely love my '11 135 (e88 manual / convertible). Its got 124k miles on it now. We did some relatively major maintenance on it in the last year: Oil Pan Gasket, Valve Cover+gasket, Plugs + Coils, Rear shocks & new turbo. I let the turbo go too long and it killed the Catalytic convertor (leaking oil into the exhaust and smoking), so we put a new / used Cat in it as well. All in was about $5k. Historically (we got it in 2014), it took a starter motor, water pump and OFHG, so it hasn't been maintenance free, but its the perfect daily driver for me. Before we did the major maintenance this spring, we talked about whether it was logical to dump money into it or buy a replacement and the reality was I couldn't think of anything that I would want to replace it with even if I doubled the value of the car. I could see us keeping it 'forever'. The dog loves riding in the back seat, it can fit four adults in a pinch, and its comfortable yet still very old school BMW fun. My wife and I + dog took it to the lake this weekend and our two adult daughters met us up there. We did a bunch of top down lake drives with the 5 of us in it and no one complained.
I completely get sinking what amounts to a little bank into a car because there is nothing commensurate to it in checking all of those emotional boxes and strokes. The E82 is my forever car as well as every time I look at it and come back from a drive it reminds me of what drew me to BMW in the first place.

In the same vein we've sunk about $5k into the E91 the past three years, because it's likely also a forever car as well with the trends away from Tourings and towards SUV's and electrics.

I'm sure I will get some thrills from the G42, but seriously doubt it will create an indelible bond between us. It's more just basic transportation to keep the miles off of the other two cars, and to mark time until the final forever car gets added to the fleet around the end of the decade once the ICE Age is likely gone.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #290
SCA
Jaded

My multiple experience, PCD typically delays delivery by four weeks. You do avoid dealer introduced swirls which is huge plus in my book. Plus having Xpel installed by a group that installs more PPF on BMWs than any other Xpel installer in the US.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote