carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #241
SCA
Jaded

Posted this morning. Car and Driver | 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor Is a 400-HP Rock Crawler That Never Skips Leg Day https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ptor-revealed/
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #242
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Posted this morning. Car and Driver | 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor Is a 400-HP Rock Crawler That Never Skips Leg Day https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ptor-revealed/
Yeah, it's a cool brodozer. I don't really think there's anywhere you could use that within about 1000 miles of where I'm sitting, but it seems like a neat toy if you lived near the desert. I'm still far more interesting in the base Bronco 2 door with the turbo four and a stick, to the extent I'm interested in a Bronco at all.

Personally I can't help wondering what a RWD sedan with that powerplant would be like, but Ford has clearly decided that such a thing doesn't make financial sense anymore. Kinda sad.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #243
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
The only thing that makes me take pause from mostly Ford and to a lesser degree GM is that when they do this retro-mobiles, the styling ages quickly. And they don’t really commit to the retro-model. So often you’re left wondering if this goes the way of the Toyota FJ and dies?

Examples of this abound, but the FJ and Hummer brands speak to me.

In terms of styling, the Mustang and Camaro change so much, it’s like I don’t know which one to own and to hold on to because they have this styling schizophrenia. What the Jeep Wrangler and Porsche 911 show is that continuous evolution is okay. I don’t know why they constantly need to re-do the styling all the time.

When I see a Gen V Camaro, I wonder if it’s from the 90s. But it’s only 2014 or so. But it aged terribly. Same for most Mustangs.

How would I know this won’t happen with the Bronco if I bought one?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #244
Nick M3
Relic

They change up the camaro and mustang constantly because they are trying to goose sales beyond their natural level. The 911 has no need for that. And to a lesser extent, the natural demand for the Wrangler is also pretty strong.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #245
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, it's a cool brodozer. I don't really think there's anywhere you could use that within about 1000 miles of where I'm sitting,
West Virginia and Pennsylvania both have some pretty gnarly rock crawling, as does southwest Virginia.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #246
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
West Virginia and Pennsylvania both have some pretty gnarly rock crawling, as does southwest Virginia.
Yeah, but is this thing a rock crawler? It's 83" wide. I feel like a standard Bronco is a better bet for the kind of trails we have around here (though I will admit I don't know much about off roading).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #247
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Yeah, but is this thing a rock crawler? It's 83" wide. I feel like a standard Bronco is a better bet for the kind of trails we have around here (though I will admit I don't know much about off roading).
yes exactly. More meant to be doing 100 MPH and jumping dunes.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #248
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Yeah. If you remember back in the day how often Hummers needed to be rescued when they got stuck…..

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #249
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
I mean, it's an IFS truck so probably not. But the Dana 60s that get put under Jeeps are 70" wide at the flange (i.e. no brakes or wheels), so 83" isn't exactly too wide to be a trail rig.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #250
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The only thing that makes me take pause from mostly Ford and to a lesser degree GM is that when they do this retro-mobiles, the styling ages quickly. And they don’t really commit to the retro-model. So often you’re left wondering if this goes the way of the Toyota FJ and dies?

Examples of this abound, but the FJ and Hummer brands speak to me.

In terms of styling, the Mustang and Camaro change so much, it’s like I don’t know which one to own and to hold on to because they have this styling schizophrenia. What the Jeep Wrangler and Porsche 911 show is that continuous evolution is okay. I don’t know why they constantly need to re-do the styling all the time.

When I see a Gen V Camaro, I wonder if it’s from the 90s. But it’s only 2014 or so. But it aged terribly. Same for most Mustangs.

How would I know this won’t happen with the Bronco if I bought one?
Yep. I think there's a very good chance that the Bronco becomes another "one hit wonder".
robg is offline   Reply With Quote