carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I could do without the stripes and the Fuchs wheels (yeah, I know that probably is a part that goes into the "Classic" title), but it's not a deal breaker, unlike the price and likely ADM.
+1
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #12
robg
Carmudgeon

What I like most about this package are the cosmetics: the wheels, interior and spoiler. But, I'm not sure that having that much power+ RWD really adds anything...even a 911S now has more than enough power for the street. Would be nice if they offered those cosmetic options (atleast the interior) on lower trims like the 911S. It would also be nice if they offered a true "touring" version of the GT3...with a more compliant suspension + rear seats. Or put a slightly de-tuned version of the GT3 motor in a GTS. By most accounts the latest GT3 is too stiff and they touring version has the identical suspension tuning. In the last episode of Spike's car radio, Spike or Zuckerman mentioned that the new GT3 is less comfortable than even the previous gen GT3 RS! It is kind of odd that despite all the seemingly endless array of 911 variants that they lack something similar in spirit to the 718 GTS (NA motor + street tuned suspension).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:48 PM   #13
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm over the RWD-only thing - for certain cars.

Cars nowadays have so much torque and power, I'll take the AWD on my daily driver and around town car. For my fun car? Sure I'll take RWD, but I'd also prefer a NA engine.

I liked the M3 a lot, but at times I did wonder if it would be better with AWD. Problem is, I don't want the AWD weight penalty.

Back on point, the 997TT was awesome. I had the MT for fun, but the AWD+sticky tires made it a lot less dramatic to hook the car and go fast. I won't judge this new P-car based on my experiences with a car from 15 years ago though. The implementation could be quite excellent. It probably is.
Your 997 would have been (more) terrifying without AWD.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Your 997 would have been (more) terrifying without AWD.
No doubt!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:47 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I think it’s super cool that Porsche is building this car. Because why not? Why let Singer reap all of the benefits?

Full factory warranty and guaranteed to be worth millions in years to come.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote