carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #31
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Lighted kidneys. Come on.
I know right… First seen on the G06 X6, now the LCI X7, and 7-Series so if we go by the past it will eventually trickle down to all the models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That entire hood makes me want to push it so I can load a CD.
LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I still love the fact that on my 03 M5 behind the Nav was a CASSETTE player!! Not a CD slot.

WTF!! Even my 01 330ci had an in dash CD player!

Weird world we live in when Genesis does the split headlight, and quite good btw, and BMW FOLLOWS!!
That is what is in my ‘03 540 M Tech. There is a Phil Collins cassette in it that I rarely listen to as I have a BlueBus [bluebus.dev] installed in the car which somewhat brings it up to date by today’s standards. I had to pull the six disc changer, but who listens to CDs anyone?

Edit: I had the factory CD radio in my ordered ‘99 Z3, ordered August 1998. I had to pay for it, which I seem to recall was around $300-350. My ordered ‘01 330Ci had one as well, but I believe it was standard by then?

FYI, Hyundai/Kia has lured away a several of BMW designers over the years.

Last edited by SCA; 04-21-2022 at 09:36 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #32
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I know right… First seen on the G06 X6, now the LCI X7, and 7-Series so if will go by the past it will eventually trickle down to all the models.

LMAO

That is what is in my ‘03 540 M Tech. There is a Phil Collins cassette in it that I rarely listen to as I have a BlueBus [bluebus.dev] installed in the car which somewhat brings it up to date by today’s standards. I had to pull the six disc changer, but who listens to CDs anyone?

Edit: I had the factory CD radio in my ordered ‘99 Z3, ordered August 1998. I had to pay for it, which I seem to recall was around $300-350. My ordered ‘01 330Ci had one as well, but I believe it was standard by then?

I remember having to pay for the CD player on my 01 325i. It was around 200 iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #33
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Genesis design language is absolutely outstanding. This is more like Jeep Cherokee design language.

Genesis really is moving in the right design direction. BMW design is lost IMO. The trying to break new design ground never works well for BMW.

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #34
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Genesis design is good:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	14564  

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #35
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I know right… First seen on the G06 X6, now the LCI X7, and 7-Series so if will go by the past it will eventually trickle down to all the models.

LMAO

Yup the CD-43 unit which I bought and put in my 99 M3 convertible.

Reminds me that I bought JST’s strong strut bar from his silver 99 vert WAY back in like 06 I think! Jesus I am old.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #36
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I had CD players in cars for years. And think I really only listened to one CD over and over again--out of inertia at changing it, or carrying them around, or whatever.

Apropos, has everyone see this movie? Defending Your Life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defending_Your_Life
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #37
JST

lol I remember the CD43; such a hot commodity! I never ended up getting one, though I did put in an aftermarket CD changer.

I’ve had the same Smiths compilation CD that I burned in 2003 in the CD player in the Porsche basically since I got the car. I listen to it occasionally.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:32 PM   #38
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I paid for the CD player in my E46 also. My E39 didn't have NAV and I can't remember if it still had a cassette deck under the panel or if that was a CD slot. The E39 and Boxster had trunk/frunk mounted CD changers. I think I loaded those up once each and never changed the discs. I added XM to the E39 (I think using the same XM input device that worked in the E46, possibly with a different box -- can't remember). I also added the BMW Bluetooth module to the E39, but that was for phone calls only. I added a 3rd party Bluetooth adapter to the Boxster that had BT Audio and dropped XM and went podcast-only at that point.

I really haven't missed not having other inputs in the Teslas. Between BT audio for my podcast player and the streaming options Tesla has built-in, I've been good.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #39
Bruce330cic
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I had CD players in cars for years. And think I really only listened to one CD over and over again--out of inertia at changing it, or carrying them around, or whatever.

Apropos, has everyone see this movie? Defending Your Life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defending_Your_Life
That's actually one of my favorite movies. I watch it whenever I catch it being played on DirecTV. The Hall of Past Lives....LOL!
Bruce330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:04 PM   #40
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce330cic View Post
That's actually one of my favorite movies. I watch it whenever I catch it being played on DirecTV. The Hall of Past Lives....LOL!
It’s so good. It may be time to watch again.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote