carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #51
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Some thoughts on the M3...

I got a chance to drive it a bunch this weekend - about 80 miles with no highways. Having not driven it since late last year, a few thoughts came to me after driving it:
  • It's really sharp. You can't help but feel cool knowing it's your car. It also gets a lot of attention and that's both good and bad.
  • It's a very high quality car with a lot of features and a nice interior. That is very nice.
  • It also fits the whole family, although sans dog, and she is sad and lonely without us. The kids also think the car is super cool. We are also attached to it due to the nice trip.
  • But then there is driving it:
    - Driven gently, it feels big and heavy at 'round town speeds. The suspension is also pretty firm.
    - When driven hard, the car comes alive and feels lighter, nimbler, and is lots of fun, but to do that around town you both feel like an a-hole and invite arrest.
If I were to commute in it alone through country roads like I did most of my life until recently, and as I intended when I bought it, I could drive it spiritedly enough to have fun. I think it would be pretty great and I would probably keep it and just add a nice Miata. But as I mentioned before, my current use is overwhelmingly highway driving or with the family, and the M3 is not a great car for either of those cases.

So I've come to terms with letting it go. I'll miss it, but it's just not being used the right way. This feels a lot like when I sold the 987S. And just as I loved that car, I never regretted selling it. It was not the right fit and it was too much money to have it sit.

I think I will be ok with the GTI and hope to get a Boxster GTS. If I can't, a used Boxster or even a mint ND Miata would probably be ok as an occasional sportscar.

I blame my new job for "losing" the M3. But it also will allow me to get a Boxster if I want it and I am much happier at my new job. The GTI is also not a bad car to commute in.
I support your decision.

You always make good decisions, but this one especially is sound. I don’t think history will look back on this generation of car and find it to be memorable. By and large, it’s been mostly characterized as “technical” in standard/base trim (i.e. no CS).

The newer M3 takes the performance envelope so much further forward. So take the money for what the car is worth now. And find something that ignites your passion.

The GTI is no slouch and does everyday driving better.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:16 PM   #52
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I support your decision.

You always make good decisions, but this one especially is sound. I don’t think history will look back on this generation of car and find it to be memorable. By and large, it’s been mostly characterized as “technical” in standard/base trim (i.e. no CS).

The newer M3 takes the performance envelope so much further forward. So take the money for what the car is worth now. And find something that ignites your passion.

The GTI is no slouch and does everyday driving better.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote