John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
This car is way too much fun.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #392
clyde
Chief title editor

When I saw Sam's video, the downhill left towards the hard objects kinda sketched me out.

There's clearly a good bit of distance from where turning should end before you'd reach the wall, and I'd probably talk myself into being okay with it in the dry. But it was much colder than this weekend or wet, probably not. Was kind of surprised to see that setup.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #393
Alan
Carmudgeon

John, you are one hell of a driver !!! Awesome !!!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #394
John V
No more BMWs

Thanks Alan! Always trying to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
When I saw Sam's video, the downhill left towards the hard objects kinda sketched me out.

There's clearly a good bit of distance from where turning should end before you'd reach the wall, and I'd probably talk myself into being okay with it in the dry. But it was much colder than this weekend or wet, probably not. Was kind of surprised to see that setup.
So... I was not a huge fan of that configuration, for that reason. It was even sketchier in the morning, when we came from the other direction (running the track backwards).

You can't tell because of the wind noise (my remote mic came un-stuck and so it was in the airstream from the window) but I did not get hard on the throttle coming into that area with the concrete wall. I got on it a bit to point the car, then went to about 20% throttle until I got to the bottom of the hill (where there is a huge bump), then went back wide open. I also drove very conservative lines, and stayed well off the curbs. My car doesn't get unsettled very easily over the curbs but that's the number one reason people wreck at these events; they hop a curb, the car gets sideways and they don't correct fast enough.

I need to learn how to use RaceRender or something else that will overlay data from my RaceCapture onto the video. The way this car builds speed is crazy, at the fastest part (turn one, at the end of the long straight) I was doing 115 and that was only using part of the front straight, and after coming onto the front straight at ~ 35MPH. Interestingly, in the vid you can see two black tracks coming onto the front straight out of the low speed left-hand corner... those are from the ZL1 camaro on A7s that was in my class. He was working hard to try to get ahead of me on the day
Old 11-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #395
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Thanks Alan! Always trying to improve.

So... I was not a huge fan of that configuration, for that reason. It was even sketchier in the morning, when we came from the other direction (running the track backwards).

You can't tell because of the wind noise (my remote mic came un-stuck and so it was in the airstream from the window) but I did not get hard on the throttle coming into that area with the concrete wall. I got on it a bit to point the car, then went to about 20% throttle until I got to the bottom of the hill (where there is a huge bump), then went back wide open. I also drove very conservative lines, and stayed well off the curbs. My car doesn't get unsettled very easily over the curbs but that's the number one reason people wreck at these events; they hop a curb, the car gets sideways and they don't correct fast enough.

I need to learn how to use RaceRender or something else that will overlay data from my RaceCapture onto the video. The way this car builds speed is crazy, at the fastest part (turn one, at the end of the long straight) I was doing 115 and that was only using part of the front straight, and after coming onto the front straight at ~ 35MPH. Interestingly, in the vid you can see two black tracks coming onto the front straight out of the low speed left-hand corner... those are from the ZL1 camaro on A7s that was in my class. He was working hard to try to get ahead of me on the day
My own personal concern is essentially succumbing to red mist, getting a little too greedy, and running out of run off room. I find it a lot easier to just bag an event/session because of a sketchy payout or conditions making them sketchy than to try reducing effort to something below 10/10ths through a sketchy element.

After making the left and dropping down the hill, there's a flick of coutersteer. It's probably fine in the dry, but with compounding mistakes of a dollop of gas, a tiny bit of overcorrection, another cycle, and into the end of the wall sideways... All I could think was that if I was driving it, it could all be fine until it wasn't.

Dunno if we pointed it out at the time, but Kevin and I laid the longest tracks at last year's Finale. Like, so much longer we were only competing with each other.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #396
John V
No more BMWs

Clyde, I was worried about those things too, and I found them not to be of concern once I was on track. I left with the feeling that I had left some speed on the table in the braking zones, and definitely in my line selection. And I decided I was totally cool with that.

At an autocross, especially a national-level one, I don't have the same mentality. But different environs require different approaches.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #397
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Clyde, I was worried about those things too, and I found them not to be of concern once I was on track. I left with the feeling that I had left some speed on the table in the braking zones, and definitely in my line selection. And I decided I was totally cool with that.

At an autocross, especially a national-level one, I don't have the same mentality. But different environs require different approaches.

Noted.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #398
John V
No more BMWs

That is some good leakdown.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #399
John V
No more BMWs

Working on developing new skills. Very difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211208_171922.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	14067  Click image for larger version

Name:	20211208_175708.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	14068  
Old 12-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #400
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Working on developing new skills. Very difficult.
More dime-like than other things I've seen.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?