carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-26-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Cayman GTS 4.0

Marisa and I were eating sushi last night and catching up on Youtube when a "first drive" of the GTS 4.0 came up in my feed. Her: "Ooh. What's that?" So I clicked on it and halfway through the review (which was kinda boring) she had the configurator pulled up on Porsche USA.

I mentioned that this might (but also might not) be the end of the line for the gas-powered Cayman and Boxster and it might (but also might not) be a car that holds its value well.

I've never bought a new car. And the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased (the Ram) with taxes and fees included was still well less than half just the MSRP of the GTS 4.0. But it's fun to play with configurators. And it did get me thinking.

Anyway, this is her spec. I might argue on one of the metallic blues vs. yellow, but she really likes yellow.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNHPCMU7

Only options are:

PZ: Racing Yellow - $0
FZ: Interior in agate gray - $2,160 (this is basically full leather, like our two Boxsters were)
346: Wheels painted in silver - $0
425: Rear wiper - $370

$91,280 before taxes and stuff . Is it bad that I'm seriously considering?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Marisa and I were eating sushi last night and catching up on Youtube when a "first drive" of the GTS 4.0 came up in my feed. Her: "Ooh. What's that?" So I clicked on it and halfway through the review (which was kinda boring) she had the configurator pulled up on Porsche USA.

I mentioned that this might (but also might not) be the end of the line for the gas-powered Cayman and Boxster and it might (but also might not) be a car that holds its value well.

I've never bought a new car. And the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased (the Ram) with taxes and fees included was still well less than half just the MSRP of the GTS 4.0. But it's fun to play with configurators. And it did get me thinking.

Anyway, this is her spec. I might argue on one of the metallic blues vs. yellow, but she really likes yellow.

Only options are:

FZ: Interior in agate gray - $2,160 (this is basically full leather, like our two Boxsters were)

I absolutely think you should go for it. You love cars, and your only new car in recent memory was actually a truck. And this isn’t just any car, it is the car. Buy it and keep it forever, Or sell it when you’re finally ready to retire to that ski resort.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
JST

I mean really my only question is why Cayman over Boxster?

And thanks for pointing out that you can get the wheels painted silver for no cost—I missed that!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Only options are:

For some reason I thought the price was going to be over $100k for that model, at $91k it is not bad but you do know it is going to be a long wait until you can order one so there really isn’t much to think about now, I would put your name on the waiting list and when the time comes then decide if you definitely want to go through with it.

Also keep in mind cars only cost the depreciation plus the dollars you could make on that money invested and conservatively invested money isn’t making anything that wonderful nowadays … yes you still have some maintenance and insurance but you’re going to pay for that on a new $91k car just as you would a $50k used car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

And thanks for pointing out that you can get the wheels painted silver for no cost—I missed that!
The Cayman visibility is much better then the Boxster which is a big plus but then again i’m not a convertible guy.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Because as I said in the other thread I have come to realize I just don't like convertibles that much. Edit: if we lived in Colorado I'd consider a convertible. I just really dislike driving around in a convertible with the top up.. visibility, wind noise, etc ruin the experience. And around here, there are like four days a year that I'd drive with the top down.

Yeah I was really happy to see the no-cost wheel paint options.

Last edited by John V; 09-26-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Stock configuration for a Porsche is nice, I basically need no options on it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Personally, I'd always take the 911 in coupe form and would rather have a Boxster over a Cayman unless I track it a lot.

Here's mine: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PN1G9XI4

Still not sure on color. But it would probably be yellow, white, or red.

I still like the front end of the Spyder A LOT more, but the PITA roof is a killer.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
John V
No more BMWs

So, um, does anyone have a relationship with a Porsche dealer that I should explore? I'm not super keen on dealing with Porsche of Silver Spring.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
So, um, does anyone have a relationship with a Porsche dealer that I should explore? I'm not super keen on dealing with Porsche of Silver Spring.
Apparently Porsche of Wilmington (NC) is a good go to. Note, I have no experience with them
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
JST

Clyde put me in touch with Sam at Porsche Bethesda. I don’t have a relationship with him, but the guy I spoke with at the new Penske store in Chantilly seemed like a straight enough shooter.

Porsche Arlington’s sales department doesn’t fill me with confidence, despite being like a mile from my house.

Note that MD caps doc fees at $500, whereas Va doesn’t appear to have a maximum, so I’d ask what those fees are. Both Bethesda and Chantilly were willing to commit to MSRP deals, plus fees.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote