carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Test drove a few Audis this weekend

Local dealer happened to get an A6 Allroad in stock so I asked if I could drive it (I was procrastinating by randomly looking through their inventory on Friday and noticed it) I think I've only ever seen 1 of these in the wild so they're quite rare.

Was going to go myself but wife and kid decided to tag along at the last minute. Ended up really liking this car. Ride quality is unbelievably smooth (tried it over potholes, railroad tracks, speed bumps, etc). This particular one was silver which isn't my favorite color, but its fine. Good power too with instant (sometimes too instant) throttle response and steering that I could live with good on-center feel and weighting (better than some A4s and Q5s i've driven in the past as well as that X5 i considered). Kinda cool that it has a DCT trans since it shifts quite fast (not sure why they can't pair a DCT with the same engine on the S4/5). More backseat and cargo room than both my RRS and the X5! Beautiful interior design with really nice matte wood trim. Only letdowns were the incredibly tiny storage in the center console, touch screens for everything UI, and the base seats weren't all that comfortable (supposedly the upgrades seats available on the prestige trim are night and day better).

My wife really fell in love with this car and wanted to buy it on the spot. That's just not my style-- I need to overanalyze everything and probably put in a custom order to get exactly what I want. Sounds like it'd be about a year to get a custom order though...that being said I'm not really in a rush. She is now pestering me about it despite having almost no interest previously.

Also they happened to have a q4 etron available to drive. Was kind of curious about it now that i've driven a bunch of other EVs. Liked it much better than the related ID4 (and the big etron) that I drove about 6 months ago. This one had the AR heads up display which i'd never tried before..that was cool. But I just can't see paying 66k (this one was a loaded prestige model) for what is essentially a q3 with a battery.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote