carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #41
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
- I had a 996 3.4 C2 for a summer. No S/C

- I had a 987 3.4 for five years/33k miles. No S/C

- I had a 997.2 3.6 for less than year. No S/C

- I had a 987.2 3.4 for a year. S/C. I don't really remember using it. It's kind of a pain to learn different throttle maps. The wart on the dash was bothersome. I guess if I were racing or driving in snow, I'd have liked the relaxed PSM setting

- I ordered a GT4 after 3 year porsche hiatus. No S/C. On the gt4 it doesn't affect throttle, just a g-meter and I think was bundled with some track data package. Not sure if it hurt my sale or not. Probably not.

- I just picked up the 981 3.4. It has S/C. I haven't used it yet. Throttle response is not something that bothers me on this car (a4, 3-series, mercs, cough, cough).

I think it might be useful for track (easier downshifts, looser stability) or snow (looser stability ).

THere is hardly a blank filled button on my awesomely loaded 981. What do I use? To my surprise, the PSE on/off is fun. Not noisy all the time, but when you want it (open country road, tunnel, being noticed in aggressive traffic). I generally keep the adaptive suspension in soft.

I find it hard to stay mapped to two throttle settings. On the e46 M, you can - over time - get used to sport mode but it may still buck in stop-n-go if you're not careful. On the highway, or at higher speeds it comes together better. But generally I've just been keeping that in normal.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #42
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I typically drive with PSM off all the time on mine. Supposedly, the sport chrono programming makes better use of the fake ... oops, I mean "brake" LSD when the PSM is turned off, which would be helpful. I'm really strongly considering getting an aftermarket tune to get rid of the hill hold feature, the "drive-off assistant" and to get the S/C programming. Plus, a little more power never hurt anyone.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #43
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I drove the e90 330i rwd in mid-DTC setting a lot. Especially in snow or when pushing on. Its rear brake programming really did a not-bad job of LSD-simulation. I used to go up hills in deep snow with some stepping out.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #44
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I always use the "M" throttle mapping in the 1M. It actually feels more linear to me than the normal relaxed mode. I probably use MDM mode on the traction/stability control about 50% of the time, but its nannies, even in full engagement, are far less intrusive than my E46 or R56 were. MDM allows the mechanical LSD to actually do its job here and there.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #45
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
traction control wise e36M always off, first step after starting the car. E90 M3 I would run the MDM/sport a lot. The turbo I am starting to turn off but with even on the car thresholds are high enough that I don’t notice it much.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #46
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
traction control wise e36M always off, first step after starting the car. E90 M3 I would run the MDM/sport a lot. The turbo I am starting to turn off but with even on the car thresholds are high enough that I don’t notice it much.
M5 - Start car, turn off traction control, press the sport button

The traction control is very intrusive and cuts power almost from every stop.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #47
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
M5 - Start car, turn off traction control, press the sport button

The traction control is very intrusive and cuts power almost from every stop.
Interesting. I hardly ever notice TC in the m3, and the sport button is unusable.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #48
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Interesting. I hardly ever notice TC in the m3, and the sport button is unusable.
I agree with the sport button being unusable in the E46 M3. When I had mine it was way to "twitchy".

Its way different in the E39 M5.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #49
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Fuck, I HATED the TC in the E46 M3. Was easily my least favorite part of that car. Even the slightest wheelspin and the power would get chopped by a 2x4.

The E90, IIRC, was a little better but still irritating as all hell.

The TC in my Boxster isn't too bad. A little intrusive but livable. I don't have the fake diff in mine, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #50
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Fuck, I HATED the TC in the E46 M3. Was easily my least favorite part of that car. Even the slightest wheelspin and the power would get chopped by a 2x4.

The E90, IIRC, was a little better but still irritating as all hell.

The TC in my Boxster isn't too bad. A little intrusive but livable. I don't have the fake diff in mine, though.
Mustang drivers.

bren is offline   Reply With Quote