carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
What a super awful customer unfriendly website trying to force you to give them a zip code before allowing engagement with the content.

Fucking horrible
You can give them a false zip code...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

So, I think what I really want is another 3 wagon. Would it be a mistake to explore the diesel interations?

I'm thinking it might be confusing (and dangerous) to have both a diesel car and a gasoline car in the fleet...
Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
You can give them a false zip code...
So?

Was I going to buy that car? No. Was I ever going to buy another BMW? I don't know, but, this this customer experience they just purposefully created for me—needlessly establishing a barrier between themselves, their products and me—has driven yet another wedge between themselves and me and further reduced the chances that I'd buy another BMW.

And what for? To get my zip code? Seriously, WTF?! Whoever was involved in the decision to make their website work that way should be out on their ass.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
So?

Was I going to buy that car? No. Was I ever going to buy another BMW? I don't know, but, this this customer experience they just purposefully created for me—needlessly establishing a barrier between themselves, their products and me—has driven yet another wedge between themselves and me and further reduced the chances that I'd buy another BMW.

And what for? To get my zip code? Seriously, WTF?! Whoever was involved in the decision to make their website work that way should be out on their ass.
We can ask our friend Sarafil about that. I think that’s a Sonic dealership.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
So, I think what I really want is another 3 wagon. Would it be a mistake to explore the diesel interations?

I'm thinking it might be confusing (and dangerous) to have both a diesel car and a gasoline car in the fleet...
My understanding is the diesel engines take a lot more TLC on the emissions sensor side of things, carbon buildup and diesel particulate filters. I'd just go gas, its not like the n20 is thirsty or ridiculously under powered.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
We can ask our friend Sarafil about that. I think that’s a Sonic dealership.
It's BMW USA's CPO website, not a dealer site.

You get the same prompt on the site's home page https://cpo.bmwusa.com.

It's not terrible that they include the prompt. At the main BMW USA site https://www.bmwusa.com, they include the same prompt, but you can cancel out of it without entering a zip code.

That's fine.

The CPO site does not allow you cancel or X out. That's not fine.

Now seeing that the main BMW site uses the same form, but includes an X button (top right) inclines me to think someone on their web tech team accidentally screwed up and no one's caught it yet. That's a lot less onerous...but I only got far enough to see that because of this discussion. In a normal case, I would have jsut said "fuck bmw" and moved on.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My understanding is the diesel engines take a lot more TLC on the emissions sensor side of things, carbon buildup and diesel particulate filters. I'd just go gas, its not like the n20 is thirsty or ridiculously under powered.
Good to know. Thank you!

Quote:

Now seeing that the main BMW site uses the same form, but includes an X button (top right) inclines me to think someone on their web tech team accidentally screwed up and no one's caught it yet..
This would not surprise me at all.

So, who knows anything about these? https://jalopnik.com/10-000-miles-ow...ive-1835082720

We actually had an Opel wagon we brought over from Europe in 1966.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

So, who knows anything about these? https://jalopnik.com/10-000-miles-ow...ive-1835082720

We actually had an Opel wagon we brought over from Europe in 1966.
I saw one this weekend. They look good in person. I've recommended to multiple friends looking at CUVs to go check it out, but none have. The Buick Wagon eye roll is all I get. Seems like a really nice package, and I'm sure could be had for steal $$$ wise.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
The Buick Wagon eye roll is all I get.
That's sad and unsurprising. There's a lot to like about it, but two big things go against it: 1) Buick, 2) Wagon. Both are unfortunate, but...sigh...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
This has not been our personal experience. We took our Golf TDI to 70k miles with no issues. And the Jeep GC ecodiesel was great for the year I had it, still miss it. I could get 28-30mpg, real, pump-calculated, on that 5500lb vehicle with the aero of a large brick going 75-80mph with some city thrown in. Range was immense in both cars.

Diesel vs. gas are not really captured in hp or torque figures. They are fundamentally different experiences, suiting different styles and personalities. A diesel is not what I'd take to hear engine noise or for fun on a back road, but the N20 is not that either. On a highway though, diesel all the way... Just a calm efficient experience and fewer fill-ups.

To, wdc's earlier question, no I haven't found it confusing or found myself putting one fuel vs. another.

A couple of legitimate niggles with diesel
* the fuel is stinky and even if you never spill it, pump handles can be dirty, matters a lot less in NJ with no self-pumping, but you have to stay on top of the attendant if the diesel pump is not physically separate to make sure they don't screw up

* certain areas have less diesel pumps. Was not an issue for us.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote