Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #41
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
That doesn't sound good for longevity.
Nope, I'm guessing I'll be dealing with it again sometime in the not too distant future. I put a little lithium grease on the edge of the window and it seemed a bit better. It was too cold to play with it much more today. At least the window isn't stuck in the 1/2 way down position anymore, so the kids can use it without getting frostbite.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #42
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I think we did regulators 7 times in the first three years of the '02 325xiT.
WTF?

How often did you use then?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #43
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I think we did regulators 7 times in the first three years of the '02 325xiT.
Not once for our ‘03 325xiT in 9 years. What’s with that?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #44
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
WTF?

How often did you use then?
7 times.

I don't really remember details. No one said I would be tested on this.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #45
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Turn Signal Issues

My wagon has been acting like a turn signal bulb is out on my passenger side for a couple weeks now. All the bulbs look to be working, so I swapped them and the sockets from side to side and the issue remains on the right side. I hit all the contacts w/ DEOXIT and still no difference. What else could cause a turn signal fault?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 01-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #46
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Bad grounds? E46s had at least one recall to fix grounding problems in the rear taillight assemblies.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #47
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Bad grounds? E46s had at least one recall to fix grounding problems in the rear taillight assemblies.
I read about the bad ground in the tail light this AM and it looks like I'm getting some water in back there from the taillight gaskets. Would that show a fault at the front turn signal. The car icon on the dash shows the front light error.

I looked at the connector to the tail light itself, but didn't follow the ground back to where it met the chassis. I'll dig into that this afternoon when I'm done work.

- Thanks
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 01-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I read about the bad ground in the tail light this AM and it looks like I'm getting some water in back there from the taillight gaskets. Would that show a fault at the front turn signal. The car icon on the dash shows the front light error.

I looked at the connector to the tail light itself, but didn't follow the ground back to where it met the chassis. I'll dig into that this afternoon when I'm done work.

- Thanks
I would think not, but BMW electrics are a bit on the funky side compared to manufacturers who are good at that kind of thing (i.e. the Japanese) so I dunno.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #49
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My wagon has been acting like a turn signal bulb is out on my passenger side for a couple weeks now. All the bulbs look to be working, so I swapped them and the sockets from side to side and the issue remains on the right side. I hit all the contacts w/ DEOXIT and still no difference. What else could cause a turn signal fault?
Did you check the litte fender side indicators as well as the main bulbs?

Also, are all the bulb bases the silver type with no brass mixed in? That can confuse the LCM. Speaking of confusing the LCM, it often reports an intermittent or steady fault before a bulb fault is visible by observation. My experience is that when regularly driven, the failing bulb will eventually hard fail and then you know which one it is. The LCM keeps a history and it may not have noticed you swapping the bulb or socket unless you left it that way for a while.

Do you live near anyone with a computer that can read BMW-specific fault codes (not the generic AutoZone code reader, nor the Peake and similar gizmos, but a real GT1 or similar)? That should give you a definitive answer. I have one, but that's a bit of a schlep from PA.

BTW, the cluster fault display on my car is one of the many manufacturing defects in the electronics that the factory failed to notice:
  • Cell phone called BMW Assist to tell them my airbags had gone off, only at night when the car following me hit a pothole.
  • Aux input pre-wire was mis-wired and didn't detect the aux cable as it should have.
  • Glove compartment flashlight charger never got power.
  • Cluster check control lights up the picture of the car when the driver's side back seat door is open, but doesn't light up the door ajar indicator for the door.

The first 3 are consequences of BMW hand-building a wiring harness for each individual car, with that car's options, and not performing any automated testing before installing it in the car, nor any functional testing when the car comes off the line. The last one is either a vendor manufacturing defect or a result of mis-handling during assembly. I'm waiting for something else to fail on the dash, like pixels, before I pull it and put a new LED in.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #50
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Not once for our ‘03 325xiT in 9 years. What’s with that?
Late to reply to this, but I do recall regulators being an issue. I never had an issue in 76 years and 60k miles. And I used my windows a lot.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote