carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
NJ doesn't have a glass deductible, it's part of comp.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #22
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
We carry separate glass coverage (no deductible), Used it 6-7 times in AZ over the years on 5-6 cars — just too many small stones that get thrown on the highway that chips are inevitable, and bigger cracks eventually. The worst was in the first Tesla, I had a few chips then got a huge one, so I replaced the windshield. Just a few weeks later I got chip in the new one, fortunately not huge and not in my line of sight as a driver. I eventually had that windshield replaced a second time. Only two uses of the coverage was a fill, not a replace...
Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Update: All better now. Had dropped off the car last weekend and the Safelite guy said that he felt it was wrong to install an non-OEM glass (that is what had been ordered) on such a new car and that they would fight to have Progressive pay for an OEM glass.

They put in a brand new BMW windshield today. All is well. Just paid the $100 deductible.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #24
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Update: All better now. Had dropped off the car last weekend and the Safelite guy said that he felt it was wrong to install an non-OEM glass (that is what had been ordered) on such a new car and that they would fight to have Progressive pay for an OEM glass.

They put in a brand new BMW windshield today. All is well. Just paid the $100 deductible.
Great outcome. As I was reading this, my spouse called to say she got a rock chip in the X5 windshield. Sigh.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Great outcome. As I was reading this, my spouse called to say she got a rock chip in the X5 windshield. Sigh.
Bummer.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #26
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Glad it worked out.

I'm still trying to figure out whether a windshield claim impacts your premiums moving forward. When I cracked the E46 windshield 2 years ago I paid out of pocket. It was only a couple hundred bucks and having the rates on 4 cars go up was too risky to file a claim.

I hate car insurance companies. I've been paying car insurance for 25 years, never filed a claim, and my rates just keep going up. The law requires me to pay for every other idiot's accident for all these years, and to pay for the insurance company executives to get rich.

/rant.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Glad it worked out.

I'm still trying to figure out whether a windshield claim impacts your premiums moving forward. When I cracked the E46 windshield 2 years ago I paid out of pocket. It was only a couple hundred bucks and having the rates on 4 cars go up was too risky to file a claim.

I hate car insurance companies. I've been paying car insurance for 25 years, never filed a claim, and my rates just keep going up. The law requires me to pay for every other idiot's accident for all these years, and to pay for the insurance company executives to get rich.

/rant.
Agreed. I have been all about covering out-of-pocket small issues, so I don't get screwed longterm on coverage premiums.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #28
JST

Idk. My feeling is that I kind of don’t understand how car insurance companies make money. I’ve made a total of...$40K in claims? And yet my premiums are seemingly unaffected.

Thanks rumatt for subsidizing my insurance! And kids.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #29
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Glad it worked out.

/rant.
I think you know i’m an insurance broker so here is my 2 cents. A glass claim is not going to get you non renewed but put in enough claims and they will count it against you. So in other words if you put in a glass claim and then another claim occurs when it comes time to renew they might tell you that you have 2 claims in the past x number of years and they do not want to renew.

Insurance is for big losses that really hurt your pocket so I think your smart paying out of pocket for the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Idk. My feeling is that I kind of don’t understand how car insurance companies make money. I’ve made a total of...$40K in claims? And yet my premiums are seemingly unaffected.

It sounds like you are talking about a physical damage claim(s) and believe me that is not where the huge cost comes in for insurance companies, the Liability coverage is where the big spending for insurance companies comes in.

Under the liability section there is the cost of medical bills, lawsuits, damage to all the property the at fault party caused, etc.
The legal costs alone to fight a lawsuit can get to be ridiculously high and we all know what a hospital bill can climb to.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote