carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-13-2024, 08:18 PM   #5881
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The money is gone in my mind. A car is a depreciating asset, that is generally unavoidable. In fact, automobiles are the only large ticket items that I purchase that do so.
True that. Recently looked at the Carvana offer for my two-year-old $70k car: $47k.

I may really be done with expensive cars. Plus, where I live, they are a target. Next car is probably an electric Mini-type thing.

But, totally happy with this car for the next 5+ years.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:23 PM   #5882
robg
Carmudgeon

Dial 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
True that. Recently looked at the Carvana offer for my two-year-old $70k car: $47k.

I may really be done with expensive cars. Plus, where I live, they are a target. Next car is probably an electric Mini-type thing.

That’s actually not bad in terms of residual for a 2 year old car (67%). Most leases would have around a 60% residual . But yeah if you keep it another 5 years overall ownership costs shouldn’t be too crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:31 PM   #5883
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post

Ugh… that is heartbreaking.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:04 PM   #5884
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Ugh… that is heartbreaking.
Nah. Priorities change. I will always have some kind of fun car. But, it does not need to break the bank.

What I have is probably the pinnacle of my car life. After two years, my car has about 6,800 miles on it, so lots of life left in it.

I am older than most of you. And I may drive more in the next four years than I do now to visit my kid, wherever he goes to college. But, I will drive not a ton after that. So, a big ticket car does not make much sense in that scenario.

In four-plus years, a small EV makes a ton of sense. Maybe paired with used manual convertible.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:50 PM   #5885
SCA
Jaded

I was speaking about the depreciation hit.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:25 PM   #5886
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I was speaking about the depreciation hit.
Yep. That’s part of the calculus for the future.

But, to be fair, I bought the car buoyed by the frothy used car market for my Mazda CX-5 and my 240i, with the 4 not yet bumped in price. So, I did well.

This current depreciation is more like the old days. And the good news is, I am not in this market. I’m good for the long haul with this car. It’s truly great.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:06 AM   #5887
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
The money is gone in my mind. A car is a depreciating asset, that is generally unavoidable. In fact, automobiles are the only large ticket items that I purchase that do so.
Same.

I do make a conscious effort to get cars preowned though, so that the depreciation is not as steep. The times that I’ve had a new car is so rare for me I have to stop and think.

Before the GT3 all of my 911s were preowned. This is my first new car for myself in maybe 20 years.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:07 AM   #5888
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Same.

I do make a conscious effort to get cars preowned though, so that the depreciation is not as steep. The times that I’ve had a new car is so rare for me I have to stop and think.

Before the GT3 all of my 911s were preowned. This is my first new car for myself in maybe 20 years.

I would greatly prefer to purchase preowned vehicles if I could only locate an owner(s) as OCD as myself. Otherwise myself and preowned vehicles are typically not an ideal match.

Wow! 20 years…

Last edited by SCA; 03-15-2024 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #5889
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I would greatly prefer to purchase preowned vehicles if I could only locate an owner(s) as OCD as myself. Otherwise myself and preowned vehicles are typically not a high ideal match.

Wow! 20 years…

The issue I run into when looking at preowned cars (especially Porsches) is that I’ve realized I’m kind of picky about spec. For example, I wouldn’t want a black, silver or white 911 and that narrows the field considerably

Old 03-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #5890
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Same.

That’s amazing. Congrats!