carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Who has drilled out wheel bolts?

I was trying to put the summer tires back on, and while trying to get the security bolt on the 3rd wheel out (which for some reason was MUCH tighter than all the other ones) the lock feature stripped (See attached) and the bolt broke off. So now not only can I not remove the remaining wheels (the tool is useless - and I even grinded the yielded material out so that it would bottom out on the other bolts), but I obviously wil need to drill out the bad bolt.

I have no hope that Volvo will have a safet bolt set with the exact pattern that I have (otherwise what's the point), so I think I will have to drill them alll out.

Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	6278  
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
They make limited designs of those security bolts. Go to the dealer and get a replacement.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Called dealer. They said that without the box they came in, they would have to drill them all out.

Lucky me, I am a pack rat and turns out kept the shitty plastic wrap it came in. In inside are crappy instrucions at the end of which there is a small sticker with the necessary info to order a replacement. Hopefully th e19 Euros will get me the key soon.

That saves thee bolts, but the one that is damaged has to be forcibly extracted. Looking at getting this:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults
Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Can you drill it enough to break the head off? If so you can remove the wheel and then just use a vice grips to pull out the broken part of the bolt.

Incidentally, this is why I don't use wheel locks anymore. The key did exactly what yours did. I was able to get a replacement at the dealer with no issue (just compared the key to their master collection and ordered a new one), but it's just another thing that I wouldn't want to have happen on the side of the road.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Same here. But some shops have a tool made by Snap On to remove them. You chuck it in a drill and spin it on the outside of the nut, the heat of friction removes the temper, and then the tool has teeth that bite in.

I had a McGard wheel lock that had been installed with an impact gun and was impossible to remove. You couldn't get enough torque on the adapter.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

My guess is that the bodyshop overtightened the bolt. Bastards. At the same time, I never had any issues with my BMW locks. They had a solid 1/2" engagement.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
My guess is that the bodyshop overtightened the bolt. Bastards. At the same time, I never had any issues with my BMW locks. They had a solid 1/2" engagement.
And come with 2 adapters. And, apparently, more clueful dealers - I've never had to provide the adapter to the dealer. It seems that one of the BMW "Special Tool xxx" is a set of adapters.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Yes, I remember being annoyed at this when I got the Volvo. I used to keep one key in the tool box in the trunk on the 330i, and another at home with my wrenches.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Called dealer. They said that without the box they came in, they would have to drill them all out.

Lucky me, I am a pack rat and turns out kept the shitty plastic wrap it came in. In inside are crappy instructions at the end of which there is a small sticker with the necessary info to order a replacement. Hopefully th e19 Euros will get me the key soon.

That saves thee bolts, but the one that is damaged has to be forcibly extracted. Looking at getting this:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults
E Z outs are a great investment, You might also benefit from using an impact screwdiver with them. Something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html (but I am not endorsing "use them once, and they break" Harbor Freight Tools.

If the lug was bound up enough for you to break it, the impact tool might also be necessary
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
E Z outs are a great investment, You might also benefit from using an impact screwdiver with them. Something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html (but I am not endorsing "use them once, and they break" Harbor Freight Tools.

If the lug was bound up enough for you to break it, the impact tool might also be necessary
My guess is that I gave it 150lbft+ but the problem was that I was offset, which is how it broke. I will use an impact gun. I'll get something better than that though.